1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fans Need to Support the Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Jul 1, 2011.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let's face it we are fans of the basketball players who play the sport we oursleves like to watch and play; not the owners. Fans should have a way to watch and follow the players and support them while they work out and practice for the next season whenever that is.

How we do that I don't know. Are they going to be playing at Fonde? Can we follow them on u tube? How can we support the players and keep our interest as fans. Les Alexander and the rest are ok folks, but it is the fans and players we should care about.

1 person likes this.
  2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Why?
    It is a disagreement. I support the group which I think are right, not the group of people I like watching the most (otherwise I would make strange voting choices).

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Yeah because losing money is cool, and guaranteed contracts have been great for the game! (see the Knicks for the last 20 years)

:rolleyes:

I mean, I know as a fan it's tempting as a fan to just want to see some games, but there are some real problems with the way the league is run right now.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Are they players the only reason clubs and NBA overall are losing money? Surely there has to be other factors like poor decision making, bad strategies, incompetence from up top. Even unforeseen circumstances like Katrina and global financial crisis.

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Are those the players faults?

6. sks123

sks123 Member

Well the owners are the ones taking all the risk in the business and get only 43% of the income, that does not seem right. Its like supporting high salaries for the chef and waiters at a restaurant that is losing money. It does not make sense.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's a negotiation, there are no good or bad guys.

8. Dei

Dei Member

If they're negotiating unreasonable demands, then, yes.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Based on what I've read, the owners are making very reasonable demands.

10. VBG

VBG Member

Not right now. The owners are being ridiculous at the moment.

Both sides will need to give a lil bit.

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Nope. Not going to happen. I'll support the game to the end, but these million dollar babies that come and go as they wish can suck it.

1 person likes this.
  12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Glynch, you're a wonder of consistency to behold, even in a battle between the very rich vs. the super rich. Workers unite!

2 people like this.
  13. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

I Support The Owners! Why? Well It's Simple, Say Les Sells The Rockets Cuz He's Not Really Making A Profit. The Said New Owner Moves The Rockets To Say, Seattle. Players Going Still Play For Said Team While Us Fans Lose Our History And Team! #LetsGoOwners Take Them Players To The Cleaners!

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusi...-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

The fact is pro sports a publicly subsidized private profit taking enterprise. Neither side really is better than the other.

2 people like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I support whatever makes the league stronger and more balanced.

Basically what is better for me......not the owners, not the players, good ole me.

DD

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Fixed for you. Agree.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The league is in trouble and this is a chance to right its wrongs.

1 person likes this.
  18. jwayne

jwayne Member

I own a business... I take all the risks to make it successful. I dont have employees but if I did, you better believe they are not going to make more money than me. Doesnt make any sense. Period...

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

It is if they're unwilling to budge on changing the current system.

Anyone with half a brain can look and what we have and realize it's broken. For the players to hold fast to that at the expense of the game is on them.

It's the active, healthy, productive players that are hurt by the guaranteed contract issue. Guys like Eddie Curry, Matt Maloney, heck even Yao Ming, burn up cap room for nothing. Meanwhile, productive players like Carl Landry are horrendously underpaid and have to settle for less when negotiations come around because teams are strapped by their albatross contracts.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have two words:

Kelvin Cato