1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fanhouse] Scola in trade for Melo, maybe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Sep 23, 2010.

1. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

lmao are y'all serious?!? i mean i love scola as much as the next rockets fan but get the **** out of here if you would pass on melo for scola. RIDICULOUS

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Agreed, some serious homerism on this site. Scola's a good player, but Melo is in a different league.

3. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Scola cannot be traded until December because of his free agency signing situation.

"IF" Fanhouse did get confirmation directly from Kevin Martin yesterday, which I doubt, then it is pure speculation on who else would be involved if not Martin.

I still say this trade must contain three teams to take flight, unless Denver lowers its asking price to something like Cap relief, Multiple first round picks, and one or two young prospects. I assume Moreys original offer is what he is standing firm on.

Showing from past negotiations he typically makes an offer he sees fair and stands firm till the last minute when the other team cracks. We definitely saw this with the Knicks trade last year. DO NOT FORGET, THE NUGGETS HAVE MORE PRESSURE TO MAKE THIS TRADE HAPPEN BEFORE TRAINING CAMP THEN THE ROCKETS TO SO MOREY STILL HAS THE UPPER HAND IN THE NEGOTIATION PROCESS.

I would assume he offered something like this=

Cap Relief-
    Battier or Jefferies
    Young Prospects-
    Jordan Hill & Jermaine Taylor
    Draft Picks-
    2011 Knicks Swap, 2012 1st Rounder

for
    Carmelo Anthony & Filler (maybe Balkman)

The three team trade would probably involve Aaron Brooks going to a third team to swing an impact player back to the Nuggets.

Do not fret, Scola is 100% a Rockets this year.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's one of the sticking points in any Houston deal. Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry (and let's throw in Brad Miller, while we're at it) can't be moved until December 15. Not that I want either of them to go. But Luis would generate a lot of interest around the league.

I'm pretty sure the writer of the article is unaware of Luis' status. These guys don't tend to do their homework. And he torpedoes himself by saying the Nuggets don't want long-term big contracts, hence no interest in Kevin Martin, but yes there is/should be interest in Luis ($45, 5 years) because they want a 4...

Now, if the part about you-won't-be-traded-Kevin is true, and the part about Denver-has-more-interest-in-a-PF-than-a-SF is true, and the part about the we-don't-want-long-term deals is true, then....expirings + Paterson + NY/Houston 2012 first rounders + use TE to take Birdman. Etc etc.

6. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i totally agree with you here. Especially with the player you mention involved.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it's not BS, just speculation on their part...it doesnt mean its impossible, as a deal could always happen months from now...

as for trading scola....i think we're too inexperienced up front to trade him for Melo. Well, we're inexperienced all around, but he's the only one who's battled it out in countless playoffs and some championship environments as well......to me, that makes up for the extra scoring we'll get from Melo. Battier's experience has it's limits in the playoffs and so does chuck's...we need Scola.

8. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

If you could get Melo, and not lose Brooks or Martin....Yes Sir.

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

I agree that we're deep at the 4, but nobody is starting material except for Scola. Not worth it IMO.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Really? Cause scola can't be traded till December 15th?

11. limitlessRox

limitlessRox Member

Scola can't be traded. The Hayes/Hill/Patterson group can't produce enough. no way. I say one of those three will be going somewhere soon.

12. diegot143

diegot143 Member

Scola brings something to the table that few players in the world can what that is i cant quite put my finger on it but it is special and you cannot put a price on it... you cannot.

13. dartherus

dartherus Member

As said b4, Scola can't be traded until mid dec, that would confirm this rumor has no base....

And unbreakable Scola is unlikely to be traded, he's too 'old' for the market, where his endurance is not accounted (he'll likely to be in better shape at 36 than most current athletic freaks of today in 6 years from now)....

So I don't think Houston would do any good business trading an undervalued Scola in the market...

Just think about it, who could you get for Scola's current market value?
    Would you get a PF capable of 20/10 with such team awareness, commitement and Basketball IQ?

Besides Denver is more likely searching for a rebuild, so 'old' Scola would be a no interest for them, instead they'd prefer a yonger flashier player with more market value...

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really think that if Scola is sent out before the deadline that we're going to keep the 4 as is ?
    We already need help at the 5 ...There are holes that need to be filled.
    Obviously, if you can get Carmelo, Paul, or someone of that caliber and it cost us Luis you do the deal.

....no matter what intangibles and skill he brings to the table.

Bring on Carmelo and Chris.

Sell high.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

"sell high" doesnt always apply and forever in the NBA...you've got chemistry/fit issues to deal with, so the goods you're "selling" have a relationship...

And for those getting upset over this, it's SPECULATION...it's not a rumor, bad inside info, etc...it's simply the writer's guess based on what Denver wants and houston has...no one is claiming this to be true...

16. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Quite true, but it's not a question of Scola vs Melo. Obviously, Melo is a "better" player than Scola; but barring additional moves to shore up the 4 spot, a front court with a part-time Yao and Chuck/Hill/Patterson at the 4 does not look like the makings of a championship roster, even with Melo at the 3.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i think its funny that the articles mentions that the nuggets arent interested in adding long term salary likes martin's (36mil/3 years) but then is fine taking Scola's longer, costlier contract(47/5)?

yeah....

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In most cases the "chemistry/fit" issues are a key factor to be considered.

But when you have a chance to get one of the top 5 players in the game ....a superstar closer/go to guy THAT is one of the rare exceptions.

I feel you regarding Luis and how he fits into our team. The guy is definitely a winner/leader/glue and would be missed, but to my way of thinking Melo trumps all that.

19. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

actually scola can be traded three months after he signed with us.
    scola signed his contract with us july 14, which means he can be traded on oct 14.
    the rule states ( three months from signing or dec 15th whichever comes first).

so this could actually happened

20. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I don't understand why they would want to take on his contract when they could Favors cheaper and another matching salary. I mean c'mon :eek: