1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Fake) #2 overall pick of 2012 - Greg Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haoafu, Dec 24, 2012.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I just come across some interesting information: Greg Smith is the same age as the #5 overall pick of 2012 draft - Thomas Robinson(both 21 years old and both are younger than Lillard by the way). Smith is a little taller with better reach and same vertical(as Robinson). Thomas Robinson is faster but Smith seems to be stronger with better hands.

If Smith stayed in school for one more year, he'd be in the 2012 draft. He'd be leading all rookies in PER ranking right now.

Did we get a young man equivalent to #2 overall pick of 2012 draft without even noticing it(He's certainly better than the #5 pick, who was considered by many as #2 pick predraft)? If so, who needs tanking to get great prospects when you have Morey?

#1 haoafu, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Orange

Orange Member

Michael-Kidd was the second pick in the draft. Sorry to destroy your whole thread with my knowledge.

2 people like this.
  3. cdain3

cdain3 Member

4. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Who needs money when you have Morey?

6. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

ahhhh..... spoiler ... sad ... :(. you should have at least let it roast before dropping the bomb.

irregardless, I love Greg "The Blacksmith" Smith. True pick-and-roller.

7. haoafu

LOL at myself. I'm confused it with the mock draft. I get up too early:) I updated the post a little, but the idea still remains true. His peformance can live up to the (fake)#2 pick so far.

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

If it helps any, OP, in a re-draft, Greg Smith probably would go somewhere in the mid to late first round as opposed to going undrafted. Still an incredible value.

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

But no, he'd never go ahead of top tier picks like Davis, Drummond, MKG, Lillard, etc.

10. Orange

Orange Member

I thought so. I remember him being #2 in alot of the mock drafts.

11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Except, he's technically not a 2012 rookie either, is he?

[​IMG]

lol there are so many things wrong with this thread ;)

12. haoafu

That's probably true, but his production so far is certainly on the same(if not better) level.

13. haoafu

That's why I put 'fake' in the title:)

14. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Nope!

15. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Obviously not Sacremento.

Signed, Isaiah Thomas

16. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Alright, so...in some hypothetical world where Greg Smith had stayed in school another year...he would have probably been drafted and not undrafted? I guess I could agree with that general statement.

But then how would the Rockets have obtained him? He would have just been drafted right from under Houston.

I think I get the point you're trying to make, which is that Smith offers great value considering the pick the Rockets used on him (no pick at all) and the money they spend to pay his salary (practically nothing by NBA standards).

17. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

One final note: I also think Greg Smith has a better chance at having a successful NBA career than 2012's fifth overall pick, Thomas Robinson.

Considering that:

- Robinson cannot even take minutes away from Jason Thompson

- was drafted to a toxic team like Sacramento

- and will forever be compared to the much better players Sacramento passed on to get him (like Lillard and Drummond)

...I'm liking Greg's chances better.

18. haoafu

Exactly. I hope Morey can keep drafting or picking good prospects. As good as Duncan was, it's their front office kept picking Ginoili's and Parker's of the world in late draft to accomplish those championships. (No, I don't think Duncan would get as many, if any, rings as he got in San Antonio if he were with another team.)

19. ashiin

ashiin Member

On a completely seperate note, I really hope Thomas Robinson succeeds in anything just based off of his life story itself.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Here goes clutchfans over rating our players again. Its going to be like Jeremy Lamb all over again ("What!? We traded a future HOF for Harden?! Raaaaage") IF greg smith is put in a trade. Just let the kid play and we'll see as it goes along.