1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fade's Fantasy Baseball 2006 Trash Talk

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by SamCassell, Mar 31, 2006.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Added him for you, you dirty %##%$ing #$@$@#%@.

With your five point win over me last period, you are this close to becoming my main nemesis once again over Finn*.

2. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

This is my first time doing fantasy sports. I am going the free route for now until I get the hang of it. I have two baseball teams on Yahoo. Pretty much an entire Astro lineup, who would have thunk it. I have a few non-Astro folks but I am really excited about my football team and I am ready for that season to start. I got Young and Bush and Carr. Yee freaking ha IMO.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Tempting trade offer fade.

I think Paplebon comes up with a sore arm (if he doesn't have one already) the second half of the season. He has never thrown this many innings.

Vlade, on the other hand, will have a HUGE second half (at least I hope he does)

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Ummmm, what does this even mean?

[​IMG]

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Hey fade, can I make a proposal that if you change your lineup after the deadline that you have to post something about it? If I'd have known you were going to reduce your number of pitchers, I would have started some to compete.

In fact, I just noticed that you did. (just moved, haven't gotten Internet going at home yet)

My point is, when the rest of us miss the deadline, we have to explicitly request that our lineup be set. I checked Monday morning and felt confident that you were going to send the max against me, so I just decided to save my pitchers. But then you came back after the deadline and changed your lineup accordingly.

I'm not saying what you did was illegal, but it definitely went unnoticed, and none of us could have done that.

6. fadeaway

I thought you just didn't have anybody good scheduled, so you decided to throw the game to save on games used. I've used that strategy myself twice this year.

Anyway, I woke up and looked at the lineups early Monday morning, and noticed you didn't start any pitchers, so I decided to remove all my relievers and just put in 3 SPs. This was done through my team page using the regular lineup update utility (not the commish area).

Later on, about an hour before the start of Monday's first game, I decided what the hell and added Mark Prior to my lineup, raising my total SP to 4. That particular change I made through the commish page. It was still an hour before the gametime deadline and a lot of teams have had me make last minute changes for them in this manner, so I didn't think it would be a problem. Some teams have even gotten me to change their lineups by emailing me, without posting the changes on the BBS. Sometimes I have even changed lineups for people after the first games of the day have already started.

I don't really think I did anything wrong. The original major change (removing my relievers) was made through my team page just like everyone else. The only change made using the commish utility was the addition of one pitcher about an hour before the start of the game. I hope nobody thinks I was trying to abuse the system, because that's not true at all.

But, I have no problems with your suggestion, so from now on any changes I make for me or other teams after lineups freeze will be posted in this thread.

7. DarkHorse

It's cool. But it would definitely be nice to have late additions updated here. Otherwise, they can slide in unnoticed. Sometimes setting lineups can be a bit of a chess game.

;)

8. BobFinn*

I am going to voice my opinion ( I know, who cares)

DarkHorse should have spoken up sooner.

If you change your lineup at the last minute, your opponent should have the option to change his, within a reasonable amount of time.

The best thing fanstar has done is to have time stamps whenever a lineup is set, be it through your team page or the commish page. It didn't used to be that way. The commish used to be able to change anybody's lineup and the time you set it would NOT show up. They fixed it so ANYTIME a lineup is set, it shows what time it was set.

If there are afternoon games on the first day (I speak for myself) I am nowhere near a computer to see if my opponent has reset his lineup to offset my lineup.

I am not saying you did wrong fade, but DH should have had the option to counter your lineup change (as I said, within a reasonable amount of time)

We should all agree on what a "reasonable amount of time" is?

9. fadeaway

I see where you are coming from, and I think there is a simple solution. Simply set your original lineup early in the week, well in advance of the deadline. Had DH not waited until late at night of the last day before the game period to set his original lineup, then I would have noticed the no pitcher thing days ago and made my changes at that time. Then, he would have had the opportunity to counter, etc.., and everything would have been settled long before gametime.

I always try to set my lineup well in advance so that there are no surprises, and I don't like the idea of trying to hoodwink the other party at the last moment. I immediately made my changes the exact instant I noticed that DH wasn't starting pitchers.

Of course, things happen and sometimes people forget to set it, and that's when things get tricky. If somebody posts a last minute roster change after games have already started because they forgot or whatever, does their opponent get an opportunity to counter? That's where things get messy.

For what it's worth, a new game period starts tomorrow and only two teams have set a lineup so far. I really do think setting lineups well in advance is the answer here.

10. BobFinn*

I agree with you fade.

I do not "hoodwink" anyone.

I set my lineup based on who is available and where I stand on Games used (plus I like to wait till late the night before to see injuries and last minute pitching matchups). I don't care if someone starts 5 pitchers against me. I set the best lineup I have available to ME.

However, if someone wants to adjust their lineup based on the lineup I have set, they should have that option.

11. fadeaway

Ya, for sure. And people can always do that by posting here or emailing me, provided that games have not already started for the day. DH actually had an hour after my last change to make a counter-modification. However, I don't think that's his main point here. I think what he's saying is that he wasn't watching the matchup page and therefore didn't notice that I had even changed my lineup at all. I think it's a fair point, so from now on I'll be using his suggestion of posting all post-freeze roster changes done by me for mine or any other team here in this thread.

12. DarkHorse

I'm not too upset about it really. I guess I was a little upset because since I've been in the middle of this move, my Internet access has been limited. (we still won't have Internet set up at home until sometime tomorrow) It seems I've been living on the floor or someone else couch for nearly 6 weeks now.

I know in theory "I should have spoken up sooner", but in reality I was totally disconnected and unaware of what was going on.

But it's cool, that kind of situation there's really nothing anyone can do about it. As it is, fade probably would have won anyway so it's no big deal. I saved some pitchers and hopefully that will pay off later.

13. DarkHorse

So... how exactly does the scoring work for during All-Star week? I know I should probably remember but I don't.

Are we just going to have a long weekend series?

14. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good question, I have no idea how to set my lineup - I gotta take it to Mr. DH...

15. fadeaway

I'm told that Thursday's games will be added to the Friday-Sunday week. This extended period (Thursday-Sunday) will be considered week 29, and week 30 will start next Monday.

** Important **
    The lineup deadline will be before gametime on Thursday for the entire Thursday-Sunday period. Post your lineups here and I will set them for you. You will not be allowed to change them again on Friday, so please don't try.

Also, this might mean that the league schedule may have to be cut back to 44 total games instead of 45. I'll have to take a look at the final weeks of the MLB season and see how playoffs fit into things. I'll let you all know about that soon.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't even bother to look at my opponents lineup when setting mine. I set mine the week before then watch as my teams continues to suck week in and week out.

Pretty entertaining. :mad:

17. DarkHorse

1B-Giambi,Jason, NYY
    2B-Biggio,Craig, HOU
    3B-Rodriguez,Alex, NYY
    SS-Lugo,Julio, TB
    C-Posada,Jorge, NYY
    OF-Matthews,Gary, TEX
    OF-Podsednik,Scott, CWS
    OF-Nixon,Trot, BOS
    OF-Suzuki,Ichiro, SEA
    SP-Rogers,Kenny, DET
    SP-Glavine,Tom, NYM
    SP-Garcia,Freddy An., CWS
    SP-Willis,Dontrelle, FLA
    RP-Rivera,Mariano, NYY
    UI-Reyes,Jose B., NYM

18. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1B-Teixeira,Mark, TEX
    2B-Uggla,Dan, FLA
    3B-Wright,David, NYM
    SS-Tejada,Miguel, BAL
    C-Martinez,Victor J., CLE
    OF-Bonds,Barry,SF
    OF-Crisp,Coco,BOS
    OF-Hunter,Torii,MIN
    OF-Giles,Brian,SD
    SP-Kazmir,Scott,TB
    SP-Harang,Aaron,CIN
    SP-Smoltz,John,ATL
    RP-Guardado,Eddie,SEA
    RP-Saito,Takashi,LA
    RP-Street,Huston,OAK
    UI-Youkilis,Kevin,BOS

19. BobFinn*

John Lackey.....YOU SUCK!!!!

I WILL catch you Sam, and I WILL WIN THIS DIVISION!!!!! :cool:

Trying to put some fire in this very quiet league :D

20. fadeaway

BJ Ryan more than likely just cost me the win, blowing things for Halladay. Stupid Gibbons doesn't know how to manage, bringing him in too early. :mad: