1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facts regarding Ryan Anderson's 3pt Shooting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Fantastic shooter in the regular season. You could easily take a few percentage points from his league leading road percentage and shift them to home and satisfy all parties who put too much weight into either side of the data there.

Ryan Anderson is not an impactful player in NBA playoff basketball. The defenses are much sharper, motivated and geared toward negating players like Anderson. He also has a really slow release and little elevation on his 3 point shot. That is a prime factor in why he takes long 3 pointers often. In the playoffs, teams will not give up those long three pointers that they do so willingly during the season.

saleem and jch1911 like this.
  2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I don't hate Ryan, I just wish he shot better in the playoffs cause Harden needed help. I don't expect him to be a good defender nor rebounder. It's not what he does. With CP onboard he will get even more open looks now. Does he have to shoot 3 feet beyond the line all the time? Dang man you have space and time. He could get a lil closer to the line sometimes. If we keep him I'm ok with that. Another year in the system may do him some good.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Excellent point... moreover, weaker / non-playoff teams don't know how to defend it... hence they are NOT in the playoffs

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He was pussified by the Toyota Center Experience and he had to take the trash out at home

He is a bench player who freezes come playoff time, just doesn't have the cojones

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is a championship BACKUP pf on a championship team
    he is NOT a Starter on a championship team

He *is* Matt Bullard 2.0 . .. (maybe Eddie Johnson 2.0)
    Not a bad thing but . .. not an everyday starter

Rocket River

6. valorita

valorita Member

Honestly if given the choice,
    I think a road boost is more rare and comes in more handy for a better record. Most role players play better at home so we need him more on the road.

That being said, the colossal upgrade that Melo would bring to our team on offense and defense is the difference between the Rockets being a serious threat to GSW

Lawlruschang likes this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Knicks aren't gonna make the playoffs anyway

Lawlruschang and Zboy like this.
  8. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

'not to compare him to superstars' then compares the stats to superstars SMDH

Is there a stat to show his mental toughness and shrinkability in the playoffs when needed most?

Unlike the superstars of the games.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not an excellent point at all. Against the Spurs...

Game 1: 4 of 10 from 3pt line, 14 points
    Game 2: 4 of 5 from 3pt line, 18 points
    Game 4: 3 of 7 from 3pt line, 13 points
    Game 5: 3 of 6 from 3pt line, 19 points

Unless you are trying to say that the Spurs are one of those weaker / non-playoff teams or that double digit scoring does not count as impact in playoff games, you guys are totally off base here. You guys are letting his miserable series against OKC cloud your judgement as he actually did pretty good against the Spurs when not at home.

Lawlruschang and SuperKev like this.
  10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Nah, you can make a dead fish better. You can make them more proactive, you can't make Ryan any better though. He sucks at everything but one thing. And that one thing he's a p***y at.

Haymitch likes this.
  11. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Game 3 & 6 though? When we needed help.

See the correlation of what happens when he sucks. Can't beat good teams when he sucks, we can squeak by the Thunder though cause they are built like ****. Or at least were.

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I agree that we needed help, but that is much more a limitation of a one star team as opposed to Ryan Anderson. Role players like Ryno are role players for a reason instead of stars. Stars and superstars are valuable for a reason, because you can count on them to consistently produce.

Yeah let's totally ignore the fact that:
    - Beverley (20% from deep), Ego (25% from deep), and Lou (completely non-existent) played like crap in Game 3
    - Entire team except for Caplea and Ariza played like complete and utter garbage in Game 6

There is absolutely zero correlation there and you are really reaching. We can easily weather Ryno playing poorly here and there. Our team was built to sustain a couple of our shooters not getting hot. 3-4 shooters going ice cold though? Yeah, we aren't winning when that happens, even if Harden is balling out of his mind.

OKC built like ****? That's pretty silly of you to say that considering they made the playoffs and 6th seed in the Western Conference. Teams built like crap don't do that. Did you know OKC lead the league in rebounding and were 11th in points? That's not a sign of a shitty team or a team built like ****. Did you know that OKC's roster was actually ranked ahead of the Rockets by people going into the season? Their team being shitty was simply a media narrative to push WB as the MVP.

BigMaloe and SuperKev like this.
  13. baubo

baubo Member

The true reason people hate Ryan Anderson is that he's paid 18mil/yr and is just a stretch 4. All these home 3pt% talk is just another way to say "Hey he sucks why is he paid so much money?"

To me he came as advertised. He's a great stretch 4 and playoffs notwithstanding (one in which our limitations on the roster shown even beyond Ryno) helped propel both our great offense and our crappy defense.

Personally I'm a bit intrigued how he can play next year with some better defenders coming in. I think having Tucker and LMM can be useful and make his defensive struggles stand out less.

chenjy9, BigMaloe, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

In that case, they should blame Dwight Howard for putting us in that position or inflated market where all role players got huge contracts. Blaming Ryno for being less than what we expected of him is just silliness.

15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

@chenjy9
    (1) who was he being guarded by in SA series? because I don't think anyone says Larmarcus Aldridge out loud and thinks defensive stopper (probably main reason SA was supposedly looking to move him this summer)
    (2) 2nd highest paid player on team: avgs. 11 pts, 5 rebs in SA series (Ego was coming off the bench for 12 pts a game) // those aren't $20M a year #s
    Other PFs vs SA in 2017 Playoffs
    - Zach Randolph managed 13 & 8 and he is like 7-8 years older than Ryno (and nearing the end of his career)
    - Draymond averaged 12 & 7 (plus 7 assists, like 2 steals and a block = probably helped Spurs lose that series)
    So Ryno was not doing anything different than other PFs the Spurs had faced - except less points, rebounds, assists, blocks, etc.
    (3) check his career post-season stats (last season was clearly his best year in the playoffs and I think limiting what was asked of him as well as being surrounded by other good scorers / 3 pt shooters inflated his effectiveness)
    (4) I agree with many of your other points
    (5) My point - if you read it - was that things that Anderson was doing during the regular season would likely not be as effective in the playoffs. To wit, he scored 4 fewer points per game in the playoffs DESPITE more playing time (he did manage more rebounds - but it was still embarrassingly low IMHO for a starting PF)

I like Ryno... I think he is a really nice guy and should be commended on his skill set... but I would much rather have Carmelo Anthony on this team and especially come playoff time.

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

OP is trying to farm likes

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. The reason Rockets fans hate him is because of his contract. If he was paid 5M instead of 20M a year, we would take him as what he was.

But it's not his fault Morey gave him that much money. I think a lot of fans are spoiled by Morey's shrewdness. In years past, we used to have a ton of dead weight contracts offered to mediocre players. Remember Kelvin Cato? How about Mo Taylor? Matt Malony?

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

The hate is strong. Not his fault, we knew what we were going to get. Only fools believed Morey he was solid in other areas, remember his tweets? Shots are going to be missed, deal with it. If you want to look at anyone, look at Morey for that contract. I personally don't have a problem with Ryno.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

another fact regarding ryan's 3pt shooting:for 20 million dollars a year, i dont ****in care

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm at the point i just don't want to see this guy in a rockets uniform again. even if the dumbass knicks end up refusing to swap melo for him, i hope morey just works another deal with another team then. we need a starting PF.