1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facebook Envy Makes You Miserable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

yes.

but he does not use CAPITAL LETTERS in the middle of a word SwoLy-D.

so is swoLy-d's mom.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Me either. Birthday is a big no-no. People I care about know when it's my birthday and they text, call or hangout. I don't need some bozo I don't even know posting on my ****.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I usually go on there to look down on people.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Why is some bozo that you don't even know one of your fb friends in the first place?

5. supdudes

supdudes Member

Look I don't care if your life is super awesome and kewl. Being a little humble about it doesn't hurt. Also, I really don't see how seeing someone having a blast with several hot chicks on a boat for example, relates to my own aspirations as a person. Seeing some-one post a meaningful comment, story, or poem, that's what I "like". It's not about me being insecure, because I'm really not. It's more about how people feel the constant need to validate themselves through peer approval, that how awesome they feel is related to how many likes or "friends" they have.

It's true that these things are tempting, afterall everyone wants to feel validated, but sometimes you just have to take a step back and tone it down a notch. It does wonders for your conscience

6. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I use facebook to upload 10 year old pictures of me to remind my friends that i still hang out with of how handsome i used to be and to not show my old friends just how fat and pathetic i've become after so long of abusing my body and mind.

I use depressing quotes from songs to show that i am very depressed, have suicidal thoughts and as of yesterday, a homosexual. I get even more depressed when i receive zero likes or comments on my posts crying out for help as i have no one to talk to. I get lowest when i see good looking and successful white friends have 40 likes and comments on posts about how they wiped their ass that morning.
    I try and communicate with beautiful females of my race that i know were attracted to me back in high school. I see that they read my message at a certain hour and never responded. I stare at their pictures and get angry when i see on my little notification bar on the side that they have new activity. So and so likes so and so's picture or status. I notice that they always like or comment on white guys pictures and status updates. I realize that i don't remember them ever having dated anyone but white guys. They never liked me. I hate my brown skin color. I delete my pictures. I upload pictures hiding my skin color through photoshop. I will breed the brown out.

I think back to the only woman i ever loved. The only woman who ever told me she loved me. She re-married. A white guy. Her daughter was born with blue eyes. She will grow up and never have eyes for some dirty brown kid who looks like me. I stare at her facebook for years. She deletes it because i can't stop writing her. I scare her where once i warmed her heart. Disappeared from facebook for 2 years now and i use the search function to type in nicknames or anything she could possibly be under. I cry myself to sleep most nights knowing that while i lay here with a laptop, there is a guy out there she is making love to and swears this guy is the one for her. Even though before him there were probably 4 others who were "the one." She swore to me that she would never marry again. Married only 2 years after divorce with a guy she started dating a few months after the divorce. She dated him for a few months in college. Now he's the one again. What she meant, was she swore she will never marry me. Belief in love is gone. How could it or God exist. It's all just silly to me now. The only purpose is to breed and improve your genes through aesthetics. I will start by having children with a white woman with colored eyes and light hair.

I use facebook to tell everyone that the friend they knew no longer exists.

1 person likes this.
  7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

there are certain friends who only talk about how "blessed" they are, I think that might be what triggers the annoyance for me.

8. supdudes

supdudes Member

bro....wahhhh???

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

You should man up and talk it out. Many people with blessings think it's alright to have the have nots live vicariously through their deeds, like a sliver of sunlight shining deep into a tunnel. It sounds perfectly reasonable to the haves, but the have nots are sometimes so bitter and envious that they prefer everyone around them to wallow in their misery.

It's best to let the haves know so you guys can be on a similar emotional wavelength.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i agree. it's definitely insecurity when wanting to keep up with the jones. not sure if you directed that at me personally or in general but i don't care about the jones.

it's easy to tell who is genuine and who is overcompensating though. i "envy" a couple of friends who have the time to travel and i truly enjoy their updates because they do not come off as boasting. others don't get out of harris county and you can almost smell the insecurity from their posts.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I just post pictures of my dogs and check in at every restaurant we visit to piss my wife off, as she is addicted to the news feed ****. I never once hit news feed and only occasionally check in on family. I don't even know 800+ people in real life.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

should I talk it out on facebook? should I let my ex girlfriend from high school know that her elitist posts make me uncomfortable?

she only works with rich white people, she plans their events and takes their money. every time she lands a gig she goes on and on about how she is blessed to have such a job.

since you are on the same emotional wavelength as her, what should I do, Ronny Bear? I'm just a have not who enriches the lives of other have nots.
    and whenever I talk about MY job, she never "likes" my comments.

what should I do Ronny Bear?

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

One thing to note, people can be irritating, and I hear that facebook thing is chock full of em.

14. Isabel

Isabel Member

Some of all of the above. Some people really do enjoy posting about their lives and aren't trying to rub it in. But, yes, many are exaggerating or overcompensating.

One friend of mine posts overly positive things about how great her husband is, how blessed her life is, how wonderful things are going at work, etc. If you see her in real life she will not be in nearly as good a mood as her posts made it out to be. I know some others that post things like "I love this man so much!" "Good times with my friends" etc. and nothing ever negative - sure, at least they're not whining, but the posts never mention the other realities such as "I am fighting severe depression" and "I've had no real job for months and cannot afford to be drinking at this bar I just posted a picture from." If you knew some of the envy-inducing people on your facebooks better, you would know the rest of the story behind their lives.

The worst offenders, to me, are those who repost everything cute they see, even if it's 20 stupid sayings or pictures in a row. Quality, not quantity, people. Even if it's an insecure person trying to prove how great their life is or sharing a tiresome political opinion, I would rather it be their original material than something everybody is copying and pasting.

I used to do a status update every day but can't think of too many worth posting anymore. I will admit that my worst offense is photo-bombing everyone with baby pictures. I have probably been taken off a few news feeds for excessive baby pictures. But I figure as long as there is anybody who likes to see them, I'm happy to share.

15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I'm too busy enjoying my life to use facebook. I think I log in once every month or two and promptly log out after a couple minutes- I feel like its just a crutch I don't need as I'm a healthy active and satisfied individual with just the right amount of friends in my phone contacts.

But I find it even more pitiful when people get 'aggrivated' or whatever by OTHER peoples posts.

Freakin A you miserable **** stop worrying if your friend Jennifer likes to make posts about her not so grand life in a grandiose way. Maybe thats just what she needs to do to get through her day, congratulate her even if she is lying out of her ass.

Or maybe a severly depressed person needs to put uplifting quotes on her facebook, maybe in some weird way it helps her. Just sigh, nod your head and move on.. anyone having a problem with others actions to me seems even more depressing

#55 Realjad, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

sorry about the bummer post, might as well have posted that on my facebook...sheesh.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

'Tis a proper name, sir. :eek: It is allowed.
    Whew!... she's safe, then. [​IMG]

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

These days, I mostly just hammer the CSN Houston page. :)

19. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

My exact thoughts! I'm sure there are some little violins we can make with our fingers for you.

-I actually READ THAT! (Opposite of "Didn't Read" See what I did there ;) ) Wow, what a troll post? I smell lots of sarcasm, but the depth that he went into was just, WOW!

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You probably could see a similar effect with the low-tech Christmas letter. I get a couple every year, sometimes with glamor shots of the family to accompany, and the letter talks about all the great things that happened that year. I know it's meant well -- trying to keep up communication with old friends you don't regularly see anymore -- but hearing how little Johnny was certified Mensa and Lizzie is going to the Olympics isn't endearing. Leave that stuff for Facebook.

Kid pictures and vacation pictures are just about the only thing I ever put on Facebook. I mostly don't use it now, but I'll put up photos for my mom to see, because she wants pictures of her grandchildren. The other 200 people who are subjected to them are just collateral damage.