1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facebook comments from Americans: Japan deserved Tsunami

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jisangNY1, Mar 17, 2011.

1. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

Here is a link to an article titled "Facebook Imbeciles Think Japan Tsunami Is Karmic Payback for Pearl Harbor." Here is the link: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/03/facebook_imbeci.php

Here is another link with people posting on Openbook with pictures saying the same thing :eek: http://youropenbook.org/?q=pearl+harbor&gender=any

My God, have Americans lost their minds. How could people be so cruel and uncaring to other human beings. Makes me ashamed to be American. I think it just give further evidence of the cultural decline in the United States. Maybe all the vapid reality TV shows and garbage coming Hollywood and the popular culture have made Americans unable to have empathy towards their fellow human beings.

I 'm also reading a Yahoo article about the nuclear meltdown in Japan. Most of the comments are coming from Americans asking why the Japanese are not looting and such. I see most of the Americans are praising the Japanese and then blaming multiculturalism and diversity for Americans not being able to do the same thing here in this country, i.e. Katrina. Most of the racist posts put the blame on Blacks and Latinos for that. I go to FreeRepublic and see similar comments and see a lot of Anti-Semitic rants there as well.

It just goes to show you how much division there really is in the country. I can only imagine if a major disaster were to hit the United States, how Americans would react in the same situation. In my opinion, it won't be anywhere near the Japanese response. I see a lot of bloodshed and conflict similar to Katrina in the near future if a similar disaster were to happen here...

2. trustme

trustme Member

That's crazy. Do those people think Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not enough (in my opinion it was more than enough) for Pearl Harbor?

3. dback816

dback816 Member

It's not like these weren't brought up in the three (2 here, 1 in hangout) threads about japan or anything

4. trustme

trustme Member

Would you think those people on Facebook and the people who are spewing similar comments on the BBS perhaps share a similar belief system? Yes or no?

5. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

True, but I also wanted to bring into discussion about what would happen if a similar event were to happen in this country, would we be as civil and calm as the Japanese? I think not.

On the flipside, I've read many positive comments on the Japanese from many Americans in many forums only for them to turn around and rail on Blacks, Latinos for being criminals and savages, and the Jews for perpetrating diversity and multiculturalism on the American people like in this Yahoo link http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110317/ts_nm/us_japan_quake and FreeRepublic forum http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2688496/posts?q=1&;page=51

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There are idiots everywhere, and Facebook is so huge now that the sample size is huge enough that it is inevitable to have a huge number of idiots as well. I don't think you need to be ashamed to be an American just because some idiots made some comments, but it is good that you call them out.

1 person likes this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm also wondering how the Chinese interweb peeps are responding to this. I mean during WWII the Japanese did thousands times more heinous acts to China than Pearl Harbor.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I would imagine a lot of Chinese don't give a damn about Japan.

9. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

you would be wrong.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I guess it depends on what constitutes "a lot".

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

+1000. I don't know why thats so hard to understand.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Psst, don't read Youtube comments. Like the Ark of the Covenant, your eyes will melt after seeing it.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As has been said, it's been mentioned here more than once. Let's cut to the chase, OK? It's from a freakin' blog. It's no different than some of the rediculous crap that gets posted here. It no more reflects America than a toadstool freezing in Canada. In fact, I would argue that starting threads like this "rewards" the contemptible fools that were so demented that they felt the need to celebrate an entire country's misery, a country that has few people even living that have a connection to Pearl Harbor or the other atrocities perpetuated by Japan 70-75 years ago.

You, and anyone else publicising this, merely give a stage to those who have no conscious and no intelligence. With all due respect.

14. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

But what I'm saying is, it's not only on Facebook that I'm seeing these kinds of comments. I'm talking about ABC news articles, USA Today, NY Times, all kinds of forums and message boards! That is disturbing. And its not only directed at Japanese. Some of the comments are praising Japanese, while at the same time putting down Blacks and Hispanics by calling them savages, and blaming Jews for bringing "Multiculturalism and Diversity" ruining America.

I hope you are right Deckard--that it is only a small minority of morons making these types of comments, but I worry if a similar disaster were to happen in this country, would Americans band together like the Japanese or end up fighting each other like in Katrina or the LA Riots.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah I doubt it's a significant percentage of people.

But I would've thought that since the most extremist form of revenge was taken on Japan all people would be over it by now.

Weirdos.

16. Steve_Francis_rules

I think you're the one who has lost his mind if you think this is evidence of a cultural decline in the US. If you don't think there would have been a similar reaction by a minority of Americans if the same events happened thirty years ago, you're just delusional. Some people just suck. That's always been true and will always be true.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Um, it's called the internet and it's never been a bastion of intelligent thought. I'm not sure what you were expecting.