1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eye on the D-League - Rio Grande Valley Vipers News

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Hayesfan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Conroy is just spare tire now. Third or fourth string PG in essence without taking up a roster spot.

Doubt such a small signinh means a trade is coming. With only 2 pgs the team always needed injury insurance anyway.

Right now if AB or Lowry gets hurt, the other one is stuck playing 48 minutes a game.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or Aaron Brooks...

:)

(Obviously it does not mean anything at all. "Spare tire" as The Amigo just put it...)

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

who is this C.Jerrells? he's going David West on us.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Will Conroy dishing off to James White :grin: :

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfEi_DVzvFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfEi_DVzvFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Crazy Game!!! :eek: :eek:

Antonio Anderson? Hero! :eek: :eek:

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Former Rocket PG Will Conroy traded to Vipers

Vipers Acquire NBA Development League's All-Time Leading Scorer

[​IMG]

December 30, 2009

MCALLEN, TEXAS - The NBA Development League Rio Grande Valley Vipers announced today that they have acquired point guard Will Conroy (6-2, 195, Washington) from the Albuquerque Thunderbirds for center Kurt Looby (6-10, 230, Iowa).

Conroy is the NBA Development League’s all-time leader in points (2,779), minutes played (5,852), free throws made (660), free throws attempted (948) and assists (1,267). He is also third all-time in steals (238)...

read the rest here... http://www.nba.com/dleague/riograndevalley/conroy122909.html

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

8. raj87

raj87 Member

One has to note the timing of this exchange.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Being the NBDL's most tenured player cannot be a good thing.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I remember liking Conroy. This is awesome news... but could mean doom for one of our PG's... Hoping that isn't the case.

11. wstar

wstar Member

Will Conroy = Crash Davis

12. YaosDirtyStache

This guy reminds me of the 29 yr old still in AAA in a baseball farm.

Im not sure D League all time leader is a goal i would set for myself! :(

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

I liked what I saw in Conroy during the summer league and training camp. I look forward to see what becomes of this development. Also, the timing is interesting. Are the Rockets acquiring talent they like for the future or is something brewing? ;)

14. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

That was my immediate though also, as the timing is incredibly suspect. I liked him too, but not at the expense of losing one of the guys we've got now; I'm loving the current guys.

15. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I didnt even know you could make trades in the D-League.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How much do these guys make? As a big fan i'd take that job over a day job. He's in a better position than all of us who wish we could just sniff the L.

17. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

No doubt you're right, but you can't fault the guy for playing his butt off...and look at Hayes, who also D-Leagued it for a while. At least he's not on the Harlem Globetrotters yet! : )

I wonder if this is Morey's plan for the future, at least short term; D-League/euroleague it - ie get these players and develop them for the future and mostly work with the guys we've already got, rather than superstar it.

Perhaps they don't want to be held hostage again to the whims of another prima donna player.

Just a thought.....

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The timing is based on the fact that Will Conroy went to try out for a more lucrative position in China, but didn't get the job (teams there are allowed to have 2 foreign players, the team gave it to two other Americans, a wing and a big... guess they didn't want a PG). So, he came back to the D-League and the Rockets/Vipers decided to have him in RGV since he knows the system already.

19. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

RV6, you made me curious so I looked it up; here's what I found:

D-LEAGUE SALARIES

NBA D-League salaries pay around $12,000, $18,000 or $24,000 per season, according to an NBADL player who spoke to InsideHoops.com.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/nbdl.shtml#ixzz0bICv9StH

Man, if that's true? That's TERRIBLE! I make more doing administrative type work over here in Beaumont. Dreadful!

20. tested911

tested911 Member

Obviously guys this is so we can acquire him once we trade T-mac + Lowry for Iggy and Dalembert..

Philly gets the PG they need and we get our backup in Will Conroy..