1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eye on the D-League - Rio Grande Valley Vipers News

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Hayesfan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is better than Taylor and Cook.....

DD

2. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I wonder why they don't send Jermaine Taylor to D-League as well since he gets no pt here.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Cook fair enough.

But what did Taylor ever do to you?

If he hasn't made it on the court by late next season, fair enough, hack away...

4. DaDakota

I don't think he is awful, just that he needs a lot of seasoning, and doesn't get how to play off the ball......he should be in the D-league honestly, but with Tmac still up in the air I think they needed bodies for practice players.

In fact, now that Tmac is back practicing, Taylor should be sent down pronto, he needs to learn how to play in the system.

Now, Mike Harris could be a rotation player today if someone went down, and he is a POWER wing, which is something we do not have on the roster right now.

I would love to have Mike Harris back on this team.....love everything about his game.

Oh and I think he is better than Dorsey too.....so he is NBA talent IMO, for sure.

DD

5. Jimes

Jimes Member

Man, Joey Dorsey with 5 PFs in the D-league in 28 mins. Any explanation for that besides the fact that he can't defend with the focus and BBIQ that's required? He's still got some learning to do from Shane. I've never been high on him from the time we've drafted him. I hope he can prove all his doubters wrong and show a strong desire to improve.

I'm for playing Mike Harris especially if he can shoot the 3. Play him with Andersen and we have tons of shooting from the outside or Hayes where if we do the high post offense we can have everyone in motion with an open lane. Defensively, he's not lockdown b/c of his height and not being super-quick, but he's serviceable IIRC.

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'd love to see Mike Harris on the Rockets as well (was a bit pissed when he got cut last season) but it is very unlikely. Harris is a forward and we are loaded at that spot with Taylor, McGrady, Budinger, Battier, Ariza along with our great power forwards like Hayes, Landry and Scola.

I'm glad to hear that he is improving but short of someone getting a season ending injury, I can't see us calling him up.

On Taylor, he is here for back up purposes. Should one or two of our guards get injured or in foul trouble, Taylor can come off the bench and help out.

7. rockets_fanatic

Have you guys ever wondered why one of the other 29 teams have not picked up Harris? Just a thought...

8. DaDakota

Sometimes it is just a matter of fit and/or opportunity....take Maurice Evans for example, or our own Mario Elie they both had to bounce around until they got a shot....I think Mike Harris is a lot like that....

Not to mention at his size he had some things to work on..namely 3pt shooting.

If he can do that now, I would prefer the Rockets had him over Taylor...

I mean with Harris you can invert the offense and put him on the block against weaker guards and SF's and put our PF/C at the elbow....and run the offense that way.

He would add a new flavor of flexibility to the team IMO...and he has a high motor and bball IQ....

Mike Harris is one of my favorite youngish players.

DD

9. Convictedstupid

Mike Harris 15-19 from the field and Garrett Temple was 7-8 beyond the arc.

Wow. Does this sort of thing happen often in the D league? Ive never really paid attention.

(38 assists total is ridiculous as well).

10. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Temple hits seven 3s to lead Rockets' D-League team

Nice to see the Vipers playing well, heres an update on their 5 game win streak.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6765343.html

HIDALGO — Rio Grande Valley Vipers guard Garrett Temple kicked off a furious start for his team by knocking in four of his NBA D-League career-high seven 3-pointers in the first quarter as the Vipers won for the fifth-straight time on Thursday, 135-112, over Albuquerque at Dodge Arena.

The Vipers (5-1) drained a franchise-record 15 (in 24 attempts) 3-pointers in all. Temple finished with 23 points, which tied his D-League best.

“I got a couple of open ones, and I was able to knock them down and after that I felt the goal starting to get bigger,” Temple said. “They left me open a couple of more times, and I knocked those in and was able to carry it over to the second half.”

Mike Harris missed on his two 3-point attempts, but he did score a D-League career-high 32 points. Joey Dorsey recorded his third double-double of the season with 18 points and 12 rebounds. Antonio Anderson (12 points, 12 assists) and Jonathan Wallace (19 points, 11 assists) each recorded their first career double-doubles. Wallace made 4 of his 6 threes.

“It started with defense with guy like Joey (Dorsey) and Mike (Harris) getting the rebounds and getting us guards the ball,” Wallace said. “We weren't selfish. It was everyone sharing the ball, penetrating and kicking it out to the open man.”

The same teams meet against on Saturday night at Dodge Arena.

As the score would indicate, defense was not a big player on Thursday. The Vipers shot 65.9 percent (56 of 86), while the Thunderbirds connected at a 52.6 percent rate (41 of 78). The Vipers hit 15 of their 20 shots in the first quarter while taking a 38-27 lead.

Six Thunderbirds hit double-figures in scoring, led by Keith McLeod's 23 points. Kevin Pittsnoggle scored 21 off the bench. Carlos Powell had 17, Yaroslav Korolev 14 and Anthony Dandridge 10.

Getting off to a fast start was a point of emphasis for Vipers head coach Chris Finch as he wanted to take advantage of a team that had played on Wednesday at Austin.

“We got off to a fast start by making shots,” Finch said. “We wanted to focus more on our defense then, but (the Thunderbirds) have a real good offensive team. They have shooters at every position. We were able to match them shot for shot and then we were able to get into a little bit of a defensive rhythm in the second quarter and created a lead.”

The Vipers led 69-52 at halftime, but the Thunderbirds climbed right back in by starting out aggressively in the third quarter. They drew some fouls and found a nice rhythm by hitting some 3-pointers. The Thunderbirds (2-4) cut the Vipers lead to 86-80 following a 3-pointer by Pittsnoggle with at the 4:53 mark.

The Vipers carried a 98-90 lead into the fourth and put the game away by starting out with a 15-6 run to begin the quarter.

“We traded buckets for awhile, but then we settled down and started playing some D,” Harris said. “With a team that likes to run like that, we can trade buckets like that. We were able to get it inside and that opened everything up.”

11. Htown57

Htown57 Member

I love Mike Harris. His issue in his first stint with the rockets was that he was a bit of a tweener--his handle and shot weren't good enough to be a wing, and he wasn't big enough to really bang down low with elite PFs.

If he's ironed out his three point stroke, he would be GREAT to have on this team. He has the right attitude--runs the court, crashes the boards, hustles all the time. He would be a very good rebounder at a wing position, and would space the floor at PF without being contact-o-phobic like out other "smooth shooting" bigs. At the very least, we could rely on him to play his ass off. He's hungry.

Of course, Brian cook is also hungry...

.....................for Whataburger :cool:

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Poor Mike Harris. Forever stuck in that never-never-land between "too good for D-League" and "not good enough for the NBA".

I hope he eventually makes it to the bigs and sticks somewhere. He's a fighter.

13. Htown57

Htown57 Member

I think he will. He's stuck around this long. He's been improving. It might not be with the Rockets, but he'll stick in the league with somebody. You can never have too many players who can shoot, get to the basket, and hustle their asses off.

14. DaDakota

Tons of players need more seasoning before launching their NBA careers.

Mario Elie
    Maurice Evans
    Chuck Hayes

I think Mike Harris will get there....he is always improving.

DD

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

And he's also another midget for his position.

16. DaDakota

No, not if he is playing the SF he isn't....he then becomes a power SF.....

DD

17. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

The Man whom we know as "Joey" Dorsey's real name is actually Richard Elmer Dorsey... his mother gave him the nickname as he was a good jumper or something or the other i remember them talking about it when he got drafted

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's not exactly that powerful compared to the SFs in the league... Does Mike Harris really have a physical advantage over, the Lebrons, Artest, Carmelos, Grangers, or Battiers of the league?

Can Mike Harris defend 3s?? It seems he's playing PF in DLeague?

19. DaDakota

He can play some threes, he is not a starter, but in certain matchups he could handle them....

DD

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Mike Harris is a bench player in the NBA at the most...an end of the bench player.