1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Explaining ATW's Islamaphobia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Feb 24, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm sure I am. I speak stuff about subjects I'm not deeply familiar with all the time and act like I know about them. Sometimes I know I'm just guessing. Other times I probably believe in these things deeply. The thing is I wouldn't know if I'm being irrational or correct. Since I'm obviously not omnipotent.

1 person likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1kLxLdtIiE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1kLxLdtIiE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe if the Islamic holy book wasn't so wildly inconsistent it would not be able to be minipulated so much as to inspire so many terrorist acts.

It just seems that the Quran and it's rambling nature, and lack of cohesive structure, lends itself to being twisted and turned towards hatred.

Certainly Islam is going through it's own dark ages right now, and it is a relatively new religion, only about 1300 years or so old......

Hopefully calmer heads will prevail - but IMO, that won't happen until Islam is out of government - as long as people are looking towards rules written by uneducated goat herders more than 1300 years ago as some sort of rule of law, there will always be problems.

DD

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, i mean those people in afghanistan want us there to burn their quran, we don't apologize for ****. we the baddest mofos on the planet, i mean that's how intl politics should work. tell them we're the baddest, blow them up, burn their religious books, and tell them we're there to help.

5. dback816

dback816 Member

Welcome to Religion 101, take a seat in the back next to the window please.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

indeed (and FIFY).

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a surprise that you don't understand we were never at war with the people of Afghanistan, but the terrorists who resided there.

That attitude is part of the problem.

8. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I agree with you on its inconsistency , but like the other post, welcome to Holy books 101. The way I see it is there are people with bad agendas, be them christian, muslims, or whatever and they will find a phrase that works for them and then just apply it to that time. If you goto the inquisition, the witch hunts, the holocausts that you will see people use the religion to murder many, many people. Notice that that was a time of volatility and instability in those regions. Now notice that in the middle east there is so much instability politically, os now the extremists are angry and prevalent. I think those are considerable factors. I think some people have made a point that religion as a whole has brought about much more problems than it does any help. Anyways here are some inconsistentcies from the bible, doesn't sound like a big women's rights champ over here, it just makes my statement above sound right and really, are all the religions themselves the problem where they give people who want to be bad some sort of right to kill?:

The LORD is a man of war. Exodus 15:3

If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives. (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

16 To the woman he said, "I will greatly multiply your pain in childbirth. In pain you will bring forth children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."
    Genesis 7

"If a man sells his daughter to be a female servant, she shall not go out as the male servants do.

8 If she doesn't please her master, who has married her to himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, seeing he has dealt deceitfully with her.

9 If he marries her to his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters.

10 If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marital rights.

11 If he doesn't do these three things for her, she may go free without paying any money.

Exodus 11
    When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draws near to deliver her husband out of the hand of him who strikes him, and puts forth her hand, and takes him by the secrets;

12 then you shall cut off her hand, your eye shall have no pity.
    Deuteronomy from the New testamnet:But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is the man, and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.
    5 But every woman praying or prophesying with her head unveiled dishonors her head. For it is one and the same thing as if she were shaved. 1Corinthians 4 let your wives keep silent in the assemblies, for it has not been permitted for them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as the law also says.

35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home, for it is shameful for a woman to chatter in the assembly. 1 Corinthians

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Two wrongs do not make a right.

DD

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

no but two wrongs make plenty of hypocrites.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yet no one puts any sort of stigma on the bible, or really any other major relgious scriptures, the way they do the Quran. It is possible to twist any religion just like it's possible to twist anything else given the right people doing it. Just talk to politicians anywhere to see how you can argue anything for the sake of moral values.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is true. But one religion is twisted a lot more than others right now.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I wouldn't say I totally agree. The twisting of Christianity, and to a lesser extent the US Constitution and general American ideas, are being twisted in the US just as much if not more recently. And the destructive effects have probably been worse.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

15. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I think thats the point I am trying to make ,right now with so much of the middle east in politicla turmoil, its islam. So I would say you should expand your scope and see that in times of instability and volatility in the christian world, you get crazy and fanatics there too. So as DaDokota said two wrongs don't make a wrong, it is more so that all the religions maybe the root of so many issues.
    Listen to the debates in America and you can ehar how they use religion to keep rights away from Homosexuals, etc that they don't feel deserve it. Its this whole arbitrary belief systems no? Its fine if it talell you to find inner peace, but when these codes lead to you segregating and hating people nad worse, tahn the lin s there

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Fewer American Christians are into that kind of violence. Oddly, those who are religiously educated and with lower income tend to be more violent and aggressive.

It's just a coincidence that, for example, most Afghanis make a fraction of the money those people make, and get a fraction of the education. :rolleyes:

There's nothing going mysterious going on. There is massive disparity in consumption of natural resources, income and information. Do you think that kind of imbalance can hold forever?

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well, then what has your two years of very annoying rants been about..

I agree that there is a problem with many interpretting Islam differently, due to a fairly large extent to Saudi Arabia , a ridicuous dictatorship kept in power by the United States for oil purposes.

I also agree that there is a great problem with many interpretting Christianity in ways that make Jesus a conservative capitalist who hates any aid for the poor other than private charity, supports frequent wars, hates homosexuals and forbids women to be ministers.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Although you try to make it seem that way, the two are not morally equal.

And if the truth annoys you, so be it.

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Glad someone put some numbers on it.