1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Explain this to me

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Sep 3, 2005.

1. drapg

drapg Member

Every Saturday and Sunday, on my drive home from 24 Hour Fitness, I pass by a guy with whom I have the EXACT same conversation when stopped at a red light.

This gentlemen sells Houston Chronicles along the side of the road and always approaches my vehicle (b/c the windows are down) and says the following:

"Hey man, you can't drive w/o a seatbelt!"

I explain to him why I'm not wearing it.

"Oh, that's cool. So, can you do me a solid and buy me a cup of coffee."

I politely decline.

Now, if he was broke and homeless, I'd understand him begging for coffee. But obviously this guy has a job. He sells Houston Chronicles. He probably gets minimum wage, which I know isn't a princely sum, but surely its enough to splurge on a 50 cent cup of coffee, no?

I find it strange that a man who has a job is begging while on the job.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he wanted you to get him one while he was working, I bet he'd pay.

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Most people who sell newspapers on the street corners are normally homeless folks who dont have any sort of minimum wage. Their entire salary comes from the newspapers they sell. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. drapg

drapg Member

If this is true, that would explain it.

Are you telling me they get paid commission on each paper they sell and not minimum wage? Is that legal?

I thought only waiters got that kind of shaft (but at least they keep tips tax-free)

5. drapg

drapg Member

No, he asks me for change so he can walk across the street to Starbucks and buy one.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

What do you have against seat belts??

7. hotballa

I dont know how it works in Houston. But here in NYC, newspapers are almost free to the distributors since all a newspaper cares about is circulation (advertising) which is how they make their real money. The homeless people arent even on their payroll, they just pickup the newspapers from a spot (either free or something like 5 cents per paper) and sell it on their own for a quarter each (except for the NY Times). Whatever profit they make is their money for the day.

8. drapg

drapg Member

Wow, I'm stunned that I never knew this before. Explains a lot.

9. drapg

drapg Member

Nothing. Its a new car. I'm drenched in sweat. I put towels on the seats, but can't protect the seat belt, so I go sans.

Its only a 2.2 mile drive.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Actually waiters and waitresses in most places get 2.13 and hour becuase with their tips included the average a very high dollar per hour ratio. Even on a very slow day they will make a least 3 to 4 bucks an hour in tips so add that to the 2.13 they will usually make more than minimum wage.

The odds of a waiter making less than minimum wage is probably close to 0. On the other end of the spectrum they can make anywhere from 15 bucks an hour to more. On busy nights at my bar my waitresses have made up in the 30 dollars per hour or more.

So they don't really get the shaft. Their job is a lot harder and stressful than many...dealing with people all night is a pain in the ass, especially when they have been drinking but then again which job is perfect all the way around.

11. Stack24

And most accidents happen within 10 minutes from the place you just left and about most 3 - 4 miles.

Bad excuse :D

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Stack, are you seriously suggesting that this man get sweat on his seatbelt?!

13. Stack24

Either that or have this man splattered on his new winsheild lol But i guess i see your point haha

14. hotballa

Dude that has to be the most creative excuse I've ever heard for not wearing a seatbelt. Someone give this man a cigar

15. Stack24

I wanna talk to one of the cops we use for security at the club and see if someone said that to him what would they do...just laugh there at him or just go in the car and save the driver his dignity :D no direct offense to you dragp just very very ammusing.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Oh yeah, I forgot that you have an obsessive cleanliness disorder AND you are a germophobe. :D

17. drapg

drapg Member

I'm willing to suffer the consequences of my actions.

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

drapg = Seinfeld .....im serious ...he has the most idiosyncrasies of anyone I've ever come across

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No AC? Man, I have mine going 24/7, either at home or in the car. Oh, just a thought... maybe you should offer to make a deal with the guy... you'll buy him that cup of java if he'll quit asking for it. :)

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I kid you not, I swear I just thought the same thing. lol. Wow drapg. lol.