1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expiring Contracts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Joshaaronb, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Joshaaronb

Joshaaronb Member

Can someone tell me how many expiring contracts we have now? Check my math.

From Hoops Hype:

Ron Artest, Steve Francis, Jackie Butler, Steve Novak, Justin Reed, Aaron Brooks?(Team Option), Luther Head?(Qualifying Offer)

Right now if you take in to account that some of these guys will get cut before the season(Butler,Reed,Novak?) That still leaves us with some fairly desirable players. If we make a trade before the season you have a player at every position to trade.

Artest, Brooks, Head, Francis could be packaged in any number of combinations for a team looking at the future, none would be considered as pure scrub.

That leaves us with:

Alston, Trade?
    T-Mac, Barry
    Battier, Trade?
    Scola, Landry?, Hayes
    Yao, Trade?, Deke, Dorsey

Question? Is there anyone out there that would make more sense than Artest with Brooks and Head coming off the bench. If you trade them all you have to get more than one player because it leaves too may holes.

2. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

The only tradable contracts I think are Francis, Head, and Artest. We all know that if things work out like they should the only one on the block should be Head.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets' current expiring contracts are (in order of amount): Ron Artest, Steve Francis, Luther Head and Steve Novak. The Butler and Reed contracts cannot be traded, since they have already been waived. Technically, if re-signed to a one-year vet minimum deal, Dikembe would be an expiring contract; but he would have to consent to any trade (much like Devean George could on the first Kidd trade attempt).

4. csux

csux Rookie

Or does this mean if we do Deke+Shane+Rafer for Iverson, he can potentially pull a Devon George on us and we might to pull a Keith Van Horn and sign someone like Matt Bullard? :D

5. Joshaaronb

Joshaaronb Member

What about Brooks, is there any difference in a player with one year left and on with a team option?

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Rockets need to exercise their option on Brooks for 2009-10 by October 30 of this year, so I don't think he'd be an expiring contract at that point. Of course, I could be wrong on that point.