1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exhaustive report: The poorer the neighborhood, higher the likelihood of pedestrian fatalities (than

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Aug 12, 2014.

1. da1

da1 Member

An exhaustive report in Governing Magazine is making the rounds because it identifies, in chilling detail, what a lot of people have long believed to be the case: the poorer the neighborhood, the more likely residents are to be hit and killed by an automobile.

Poverty does not cause pedestrian deaths, of course. But many aspects of low-income neighborhoods make those streets particularly prone to pedestrian accidents. Most notably, their residents are at greater risk since they are more likely to be out walking. Census data showed greater shares of commuters walk or take public transportation to work in lower-income tracts. Poorer communities also develop differently. Historically, many could not fend off construction of highways and major arterial roadways the way wealthier communities did.

“Low-income neighborhoods either do not have the political clout or are not galvanized to do it,” says Joshua Schank, who heads the Eno Center for Transportation. “You don’t see highways running through the Upper East Side of Manhattan.”

Consequently, heavily trafficked arterial roadways with higher speed limits may run right through these poorer neighborhoods. It is along those routes where many pedestrians are hit, with slightly more than half (52 percent) of deaths occurring on arterial streets for the five years reviewed.

During the first decade of Interstate highway construction, 335,000 homes were razed, forcing families to look elsewhere for housing… In many cases, the ‘urban blight’ targeted by the new road construction simply meant African-American communities—often thriving ones. A great body of work shows that urban freeways destroyed the hearts of African-American communities in the South Bronx, Nashville, Austin, Los Angeles, Durham, and nearly every medium to large American city.

http://www.governing.com/topics/public-justice-safety/gov-pedestrian-deaths-analysis.html

2. droopy421

droopy421 Member

The poorer the neighborhood the higher likelihood of fatalities.

FTFY

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What about alcohol deaths?

4. da1

da1 Member

Although pedestrians are frequently found at fault in accidents, it’s the poor suburban street design that’s often conducive to dangerous behavior, says David Goldberg with Transportation for America, which advocates infrastructure investments. Crossings in suburbs are often far apart, leading some people to put themselves at risk and walk across unmarked areas between intersections.

Faster-moving cars along suburban streets are another crucial factor. About nine out of 10 pedestrians survive crashes with vehicles traveling at 20 mph, while nearly all suffer fatal injuries when hit by cars traveling 40 mph.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

but but but .. . . boot strap . . uhm . . .cause. . . .uhm .. . no racism here. . . . .

Rocket River

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks, freeways!

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Because richer people have cars and don't walk?

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you want to get ran over try crossing bellaire in chinatown these days. Perfect storm of dangerous.

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Crossing Westheimer in Highland Village (or about anywhere else, for that matter) is a life threatening event.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised Asians can't drive post?

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why was an exhaustive report necessary? I could have saved them a lot of money.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why are we putting pedestrians on a pedestal?

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because all the idiots from Katy and the Woodlands come in thinking it's some cool place to be.

Oh, honey, let's go into town, oh dheymnnnn, let's get Zoe's like we do at home, except now it's different cuz we're in the city with real people. Let me put on my best Tommy Bahama shirt. Oh wow, it's Central Market, oh geez (they sound like Fargo people basically), you can make your own sandwich dontcha know, I'ma ghannna wonder the aisles at a snails pace looking like a confused child while I text my sister how cool it is that I'm in Central Market with people other than whites. Oh geeez, honey, I almost forgot to check-in on the Facebook. Take my picture next to this squid, holy moly, they have a squid here.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Damn, you really seem to have issues with people who live in the suburbs.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The over the hill moms in leggings walk way slower than yokels. They are always checking out the latest gluten free, soy whatever being offered on sample when I am trying to walk past the fatty chocolate aisle after picking up <s>beers</s> health food products from around the corner.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Good question!

It seems like in most poor neighborhoods I drive through you have the "dumb-walking" attitude that is also prevalent at middle-class grocery stores and malls. The harder you try to go around someone the more likely they are to intentionally get in your way. There is some sort of street creed doled out for taking as long as possible to cross the street.

In my neighborhood people cross the street with an intention to go somewhere.

EDIT: didn't see the previous comments about dumb suburbans.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's projecting hatred on something that deep down he really wants. That, or his sister was gang-banged in Katy by OSU players who finished it off with the biggest golden shower you've ever seen. Locals remember that as the original "Pee Pee Games".

1 person likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He probably shouldn't be looking in my closet at my shirts.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

beyond Death by Cavier and old age . .. i suspect all deaths are statistically greater in poorer areas than rich ones.

Rocket River

20. rudan

rudan Member

Better yet poor pedestrians that walk bus stop to bus stop because they don't work.