1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exclusive: Houston Rockets star James Harden drops agent, now represented by his mother

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Apr 26, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There probably is more to this. Harden should have a professional agent. He is an NBA A list star

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't know who is Tyron Smith, never heard of him before but I can bet from the description that it has to be an eggball player

That's on you to compare a real athlete with integrity like James Harden to any eggball player who are all fake tough guys with no integrity whasoever

3. Fantasma Negro

She's not handling his money. Morey probably already has his next contract printed so she won't be negotiating with the Rockets, she's repping him for endorsements and managing his community/charity projects

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

But does it even matter much at this point? Everything pretty much seems laid out. I mean, I’m sure there is still much more that can and will be done, but the heavy lifting seems to have already taken place.

5. MystikArkitect

Tyron Smith is an offensive tackle drafted by the Cowboys. His mom basically had to be removed from his house because she wouldn’t stop harassing him for money.

These athletes are prime targets for this kind of stuff. They get involved in terrible investments (Brees buying “9 million” worth of jewelry or Lebron’s ill fated pizza chain) and since they don’t know how to understand profit/loss they can be fed a bunch of BS on the companies they’re invested in.

Let’s hope Mama Harden is better than that but I’ll be honest....Andre and Kawhis Uncles, Mama Smith....it’s an eyebrow raiser for sure.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what people in this thread aren't grasping is that if you pick the wrong agent, you end up next to DMo playing in China . . . sure hope James has thought this one through :D

RyanB and Stormy1234 like this.
  7. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Who in the history of the NBA has done this? As far as a superstar already established in the NBA. Not an NBA player just entering the league. I dont think this is a bad idea at all. This move screams "I love where I am and not interested in playing for any other team." I actually think this is a trend setting move and a great way to take care of his mom and family.

8. RyanB

RyanB Member

Kawhi's uncle is his agent, so...

9. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

True but at least you get to exercise your rights

B-Bob and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

There goes all the money lost in loophole deals or not gained because 'Mama Knows Best'.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Probably saves him some money, but can you imagine if he had done this as a rookie? Mamas boy! haha

Stormy1234 likes this.
  12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Agreed. OK to keep money in the family in the short term, but in the long term I can't see this as a smart move.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

LOL @ saves some money. Agents are usually former or current attorneys for a reason bro.. I wonder if his mother was working towards or already has her law degree and stuff. This is a very bad move because otherwise. Agents find their clients the best opportunities they can find and I'm not sure Mama knows this stuff.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I think LeBron's blaze pizza is doing quite well?

15. Zergling

Zergling Member

This is not even remotely surprising. Harden is super close to his mom and she deserves a lot of credit for James getting his s*** together this year. Let's just hope mama wants to stay in H-town

Stormy1234 likes this.
  16. Remlap

Remlap Member

Let me tell you how it's gon' be Mr. Murray. . . . LOL

[​IMG]

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It might not be a net gain, but I bet she would demand less in return for her baby.

All she really needs to know is "max."

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you don't think harden & his mom has a law office or a group of lawyers on retainer?

his mom being the agent doesn't necessarily mean she is the only one who can review the contracts

they basically save from giving a hefty paycut to a glorified lawyer/salesman to just a retainer to lawyers instead

Stormy1234 likes this.
  19. BasketballMind

I wouldn't use that comparison. He's another superstar player who is going to get his money. What his uncle is doing could be genius (on their end) if he ends up playing for someone else making more money getting better endorsements. For the players the NBA is a business. He isn't losing any money and didn't play majority of the season so that is a weak comparison.

20. BasketballMind