1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Excluding Kenyon Martin, who would you choose?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Apr 14, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Reason I ask is I'm not sure myself... I do know I am liking Marcus Fizer more and more.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Good question Clutch. I like Fizer, Johnson, Miles. Peterson I am not that into as much but lets be serious here.

Rockets have dropped to 11th and now we really dont have a good chance at getting those players. Im pretty worried about this because we had a good spot 2 weeks ago. [​IMG]

The only player I see Houston having a good chance of drafting that I like is probably Darius Miles. To tell you the truth he is probably the second best player I like other than martin. But its going to be a project with him. It will take time to get him to the player we want.

For some reason I think Rudy has a plan set.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

3. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Clutch
    If i could i would have LOVED to get stromile swift. that guy is ridiculously talented. but he is not coming out sooo......

TOP 5 IF WE HAD THE CHANCE
    1.) Marcus Fizer
    2.) Darius Miles- This is sort of risky because rashard lewis might wanna play here.
    3.) Mike Miller- really should stay in school but he is damn talented.
    4.) Desmond Mason- not with our lotto. but this guy can play. think francis has a high vertical? this guy also has a 40+ and he is 6'6. plus he can shoot and is versatile.
    5.) Mo Peterson

TOP 6 I DONT WANT

2.) Pryzbilla- i will quit watching them if they pick him lol
    3.) Any PG that would force francis to the 2 which would really screw us up.
    4.) Another SG.
    5.) A foreigner with no gurantees here.
    6.) chris mihm- sorry i just think he will be an average center nothing that great
    7.) Mottola- i dont know he has history of injuries might not be athletic enough to guard opponent 3s.

Alot of people will disagree with me on this but aside if we get the chance to pick fizer or martin, i really think kenny T can be and is the future at PF. he needs to work on his athleticism but he has all the tools. good hands, great footwork, a nice shot, good moves, and good work ethic. he loves to play for Rudy T and really seems comfortable around our guys. he can do it. i know he can.

------------------
    --TEX

[This message has been edited by TeXaSalsa (edited April 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by TeXaSalsa (edited April 14, 2000).]

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

The draft doesn't seem as important now as it has in years past (even w/ Charles & Dream). The current Rockets would decimate last year's Rockets, what more could you ask for!

CD (and hopefully Dream) will turn KT into a monster over the offseason. I have hopes (but moderate expectations) for Cato as well. If anything the 5 is our biggest concern. I realize that the Jazz have done fine (other than no titles) w/ Ostertag in the middle, but I certainly expect more than a double - triple nickel from that position every night.

For that reason, go big. Go Nigerian (there are already 50,000 Nigerians in Houston, why not another?). Go Olumide.

oh yeah, unless we get a top 3.

------------------

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Fizer
    Fizer
    Fizer

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

6. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

What?! Have you seen Moiso enough to even back that up? Are you telling me you don't want a 6'10 athletic PF?

Its funny how you guys don't even mention Moiso as a possibility at our pick. You guys are drooling over Swift, yet Moiso who plays the exact same way gets no attention at all. Puzzling.

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Sorry moiso is not like swift in any way at all. I think Moiso is good but I think we can do better. I HATE THAT WE ARE ****ING WINNING NOW, RUDY BETTER KNOW WHAT THE HELL HE IS DOING!!!

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

8. TeXaSalsa

Maybe i went a little far there rocketsfan34
    but here is stuff i know

1.) he hates class
    2.) he rarely goes to class
    3.) he makes bad grades
    4.) with that athleticism those stats are nothing- if he plays so much like swift how come his stats are not nearly as impressive.
    5.) with that talent UCLA should have had a MUCH better season
    6.) He couldnt guard fizer in UCLA/ISU game
    7.) he doesnt possess any great leadership qualties

ok this is a stretch but people who go to class and have smarts in the classroom usually have smarts on the court. look at duke's players. all so smart. why? great coaching great program and a great school.

------------------
    --TEX

9. rocketsfan34

What do you mean they are not similar in any way? Both are 6'10 tall lanky athletic PFs. Moiso is younger and his game may not be as refined, but with his potential, they're almost alike. The difference really is Swift's a better dunker or post-up player, while Moiso has more range.

You just don't realize how good he is. If he stays like Swift and Martin does, Moiso is a future top 3 pick. We nab him before he becomes good like Miles, not when everyone notices him like Martin.

------------------

Draftsource.net

10. rocketsfan34

1-3. I haven't heard anything of Moiso skipping class or anything. Do you have a link? He's always been one of the shy types like Dickerson or Eddie. Their game speaks for themselves instead of like Mobley. That could be reason why he's more of a perimeter guy instead of post-up.

4. The reason Moiso stats are not comparable to Swift is that Moiso like you said has more talent with him. Thus, he has to share the ball with another good froncourt player named Dan Gazuric. Plus they they're too many better shooter like as in Kapono that take away his shots. Swift is the only really threat on LSU so he gets the ball everytime, unlike UCLA where you never know how they will beat you.

5. UCLA is still young, they did go to Sweet 16. They lost Rush most of the year, which hurt them a lot. Did you notice how they started winning once Rush came back? That could be a reason why they had such a bad record.

6. Fizer couldn't guard Moiso who had a better game than him. What's your point? Fizer is a good player, if Fizer can be guarded by Moiso easily, then he wouldn't be good player would he?

7. I don't know if you were watching the Iowa State/UCLA game but Moiso was the only guy who could score for UCLA. He did lead his team, however, Tinsley lead his team better.

------------------

Draftsource.net

11. TeXaSalsa

http://sportsline.netscape.com/ns/ce/multi/0,1511,2251859,00.html

sorry the stuff about skipping class/ bad grades was for another player. my fault. i admit it. maybe i misjudged the guy.. but i still feel he needs to stay in school.
    id rather go after a SF anyways. i do know that moiso hates school though.

rocketsfan34 i guess i was too hard on him. i still think swift is a better player. but who knows he might be good for us. ah well. guess we will see what happesn

------------------
    --TEX

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Maybe the picks will be at 10 (ours),15 Detroit's), and 23 (Orlando's) spots.

I'd like to see us get Darius Miles, and trade the other picks.

------------------

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

If Moiso and Fizer are gone by the time we pick I'd select Etan Thomas at Power Forward. He's a relatively safe pick

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

1) Miles- will be great in a couple of years seasoning
    2) I see Mo pete maybe sliding down to about 8
    3) I would like to see Barkley taken with the rockets second pick in 1st rd if he slides there. Not needed, but would make the backcourt even stronger. I am betting that his trade value will be very high after the draft.

4) After Fizer and Mihm, i don't like the big men. Mihm is probably staying too.

------------------
    Moochie hear no evil Moochie speak no evil
    Moochie see no evil

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If no one else declares for this draft and you can't get Kenyon, Darius Miles should be the guy we draft. Why? Because I don't see any other studs available especially with where we may be drafting. If you can't have guaranteed success, then gamble on some hellacious potential -- and Miles has a boatload of that. Don't waste a lottery pick on a sure-fire backup.

------------------
    <this space for rent>

16. outlaw

outlaw Member

I don't consider Etan Thomas to be a "surefire back-up". I think he can be a very good power forward. He reminds me of Samaki Walker or Antonio Davis.

The way this team is playing lately, I think we need someone who can contribute right away than wait for someone to develop their potential.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Why has everyone forgotten about Chris Porter. The guy is fantastic. He will be an outstanding 3 in this league, mark my words. He will develope a more consistant outside shot and his inside strength, quickness and agility will make him an impressive force. I take Porter with our first pick and I don't look back. We can fill our 4 or 5 problem through free agency, ie. Duncan or Grant. Porter would be a mistake to pass up. Lets face it, there's just not that many good big man in the draft, and the few good ones are undersized.

------------------

18. outlaw

outlaw Member

How do you know Porter will develop a better outside shot? He reminds me of another Auburn alum, Chris Morris. I think the Rockets need a 4/5 more than a 3 and Porter is too small to play 4 in the NBA.

19. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I take a chance on Darius Miles before I go with Moiso, Mo Pete, or Etan Thomas. The kid reminds me a little of Garnett when he was playing in HS. No telling if he can be even half as good, but then again, he could be better! Who knows. It is a gamble no matter what you do, and now that we can pick no higher than 8th, we may as well gamble big and maybe it will pay off big.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

20. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

After seeing Mickael measure at 2.5 inches shorter than listed, it is going to be very interesting to see Martin's height. If he is less than a legit 6' 8" and has a proportional wingspan (unlike Brand), I don't think he will be the #1 pick. I am interested to see how Fizer measures out too. The more I am thinking about it, if Swift or Mihm comes to their senses I think either player might very well be pick #1, with Martin (2-3) and Fizer (2-4) being the next best prospects. Remember Martin is also coming off an injury that fairly or unfailry, couldn't possible have helped his cause. Still, there is almost zero chance to get any of these guys without having a lucky ping pong ball or trading up. Same goes with Demarr too.

I would prefer to go after low-post defenders (Moiso, Pryzbella, E. Thomas, K. Johnson) players or high-risk athletes (Porter, Arceneaux or Mason-thought the latter players certainly not with our first pick).

------------------