1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exascale computer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amiga, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Mining crypto breh

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is it, the ultimate use! Forget about these science equations/simulations/solving complex protein structures, we just need to know the hashrate for mining crypto!

Xerobull likes this.
  3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I wonder how big the supercomputer running the simulation that I'm living in is.

Two Sandwiches, Xerobull and Kim like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

These systems actually have purpose before "we didt it!". Scientific research (medical, geological, meteorological, nuclear, etc.), governmental agencies (NSA!), etc. all use them or request time from them.

RunninRaven likes this.
  5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Very small. You're in a video game in the pocket of some pre-teen alien somewhere. Life is meaningless.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have a lot of friends with Cray that worked on that machine

durvasa and Yung-T like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I have a lot of cray friends, too, but my wife has more. Seems they're all cray.

durvasa, Buck Turgidson and Yung-T like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Neat. I work for Cray (now part of HPE) on the programming environment tools for our systems. Excited about the new machine.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Cray sounds like the front company for an evil genius who is planning world domination.

10. bobrek

Where are you located? When I retired in July 2017, I was in the offices at Mall of America. I started with Cray in Houston in 1985.

11. durvasa

Oh -- we must have worked in the same office. :)

I'm in Saint Paul. Work from home now, but MOA offices are my "official" location.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to want to work for Cray as a kid. But then I wanted to work everywhere based upon what I had just read about back then. :D "Boy, that Lockheed SR-71 is the baddest plane ever made... I want to work there..."

I still remember reading about Cray in the 80s and 90s. Back then I think they got acquired by SGI and the DEC Alphas were getting recognition (DEC was still around!), but I forgot what happened to Cray after that. I would just see them here and there on the Top500 and think "oh dang, they're still around!"

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. durvasa

Here's a bit of history from Wikipedia:

The company's predecessor, Cray Research, Inc. (CRI), was founded in 1972 by computer designer Seymour Cray.[10] Seymour Cray later formed Cray Computer Corporation (CCC) in 1989, which went bankrupt in 1995. Cray Research was acquired by Silicon Graphics (SGI) in 1996. Cray Inc. was formed in 2000 when Tera Computer Company purchased the Cray Research Inc. business from SGI and adopted the name of its acquisition.[11] The company was acquired by Hewlett Packard Enterprise in 2019 for $1.3 billion.[12

Tera acquired Cray Research from SGI and then renamed itself Cray Inc. At this point, Cray is a brand of HPC systems that HPE sells. Still some Cray folks from the Cray Research times around, though.

No Worries and Dr of Dunk like this.
  14. bobrek

Lots of Cray Research folks still exist, especially in my old group.

According to Belluzo (SGI CEO when they sold Cray to Tera), their biggest regret was not holding onto the Cray name.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Cool. I didn't know they had been bought and sold and the name passed on. Nice to see the Cray name still up at the top and somewhat dominating the top 10 on the Top500 charts. Nostalgia. :D

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

This thread is making me think about computer companies of the past

Wang
    DEC (Digital)
    SGI
    CDC
    Tandem
    Data General
    Amdahl
    Sun

Maybe GE and Honeywell had computer divisions as well. Xerox did quite a bit on research, but don't remember them having much commercial success.

I am trying to remember the name of the competitor to Tandem, but can't come up with it. I know that Google knows the answer, but trying to do it without that type of help.

Maybe Wang, Data General and DEC were all in New England.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Compaq (unless that's too new or too personal computer), NEC, Burroughs/Sperry/Unisys, NCR ...

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Tandem aimed for a special niche in mission critical stuff with NonStop. I don't remember any of those that you named as the main competitor to Tandem

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Did you have an opportunity to work on their biological computer the Cray Fish?