1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-Rocket has grown to gigantic proportions!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotrock?, May 30, 2006.

1. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1708898,0035.htm

The dribble effect
    by Anupam Thapa

May 30, 2006

India is all set to get a taste of NBA flavour as former Houston Rockets player, Robert Reid heads eastwards to give lessons in basketball in Ludhiana from June 3-5.

"India is hot, warm and spicy. Ironically India, has always been close yet so far from me, but I'm glad it's finally happening," says the eight-foot-six-inch tall star :eek: who had an illustrious 11-year stint with Houston Rockets in the NBA league in the '80s.

Raising the bar

Reid's trip, on the invitation of the sports department of the Punjab government, coincides with the 57th Junior (U-18) National Basketball Championship for boys and girls. He will conduct three interactive and training sessions for players and coaches.

"The objective of this trip is to raise the bar for Indian basketball. The game is changing globally, so why should we rely on age old forms of training and practice," says former hockey star Pargat Singh, who is at the helm of sports affairs in Punjab. Adds, Sunil Yash Kalra, consultant to the Punjab sports department, "Reid is a name to reckon with in the US for basketball coaching and we hope to utilise his talent here." Reid is presently the national spokesperson for the NBA to China.

Poor cousin

On coming to India to promote a game, which is a non-entity here, Reid says, "Every country has a number one immensely popular sport and then you have two, three and four. But just because a sport is popular does not mean that others don’t exist." Right said Reid!

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

immediately after that it says "raising the bar"

3. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Obviously, they meant 6'8

4. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Have you seen Matt Maloney lately?

[​IMG]

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Is he still on the Rocket's payroll?

6. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Is that one of those new tit-fans? I've only seen them in commercials.

7. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

It looks more like Santa Claus getting groove on with that he sees you when your "sleeping" stuff. :D

8. pariah

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I once saw Robert Reid and asked him to sign a torn up basketball I had in my car. He seemed thrilled that someone recognized him.

10. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

And Yao is actually only 5'7".

11. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

just to correct ignorance...indians speak hindi. middle eastern countries like iraq, iran, saudi arabia speak arabic. ;)

12. pariah

Thank you. What is the hindi translation for English words like "beef jerkey" or "slurpee"? For all us ignorant folks... :D

13. insane man

insane man Member

lol...

14. Fletch

Fletch Member

I met him once at the Eyemasters in the woodlands mall. He is a funny guy. He kept pretending like he didn't need glasses.
    He autographed his prescription (with his personal info. on it) and gave it to me, lol.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Actually, I think they speak Persian in Iran.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Or is it far-ce? :D Just a joke, guys. Don't go nuclear on me. :)

17. arjun

arjun Member

about time, theres alot of great indian talent here in the U.S., im sure theres some hidden talent somewhere in India, Hakeem was a soccer player before a bball player, was introduced to the sport by a scout, maybe the same thing can happen for some indian player

18. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

this is iran's best hope for the nba

i give you jaber rouzbahani aka the iranian george muresan...he can actually dunk without jumping:

http://nbadraft.net/jaberstory.asp