1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex CBS reporter Lara Logan praises Breitbart and Fox News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Feb 26, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Can't disagree, but I think that's one thing -- besides the bias -- that turns me off the MSM news. It has a vanilla/bland/normie quality to it that I find increasingly off putting. They often don't get to the heart of news story; they talk about issues in a very superficial manner.

For example, I used to be in love with the Sunday morning political/current events shows. Now I find them to be a cure for insomnia.

2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Now that's a darn good question.

3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

One of the things that has been happening, that has not been remarked much upon, is how MSM is increasingly catering to its readers/viewers.

To me, the NYT is the best/worst example.

When the internet began to have an effect, reducing business demand for print ads, publications like the NYT turned to their readers to make up the shortfall in revenue by charging more for subscriptions, putting content behind paywalls, putting more emphasis on getting new subscriptions.

When a critic of the NYT says "your print ad revenues are down" (thus saying the market is abandoning their publication due to its editorial content), the NYT will reply "our subscriptions are way up."

The significance of this is that publications (and perhaps TV news too) are increasingly pandering to their reader/viewer base. The result of that is that their news is increasingly biased and slanted.

The Atlantic is another example. I used to subscribe to it for many years. It was a middle of the road, pretty centrist, east coast-oriented publication.

Now, it's an "Orange Man bad" publication. (and I have not renewed)

The interesting thing about this trend is that these media publications are in a sense doing the smart thing. Every business should know who its customers are, and what they want; and work to provide them with those things. And of course they need to bring in revenue.

But, I think much of the outrage about media bias comes from the fact that say, with the example of the NYT, one day they were seen as the newspaper of record (and mostly objective); and then, seemingly out of nowhere, they became very partisan and biased.

And they (the NYT) never came out and said: "Hey, we're changing what we do."

So people expected from the NYT what they had always received from the NYT -- (mostly) objective reporting. But then, one day -- seemingly out of the blue -- they became a partisan publication.

And the people said verily "WTF". o_O And they began to look for alternatives....

4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Just one of my many amazing capabilities. :D

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you agree we need more fakes news because that's what Breitbart puts out - loads of lies and half-truths which is absolutely disgusting. Right now the truth is considered "left-wing" that's how out of whack things are.

mdrowe00 and No Worries like this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

History might prove the Atlantic right.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No surprise this woman advocates for them then. Lara Logan was given a leave of absence for biased reporting on Benghazi

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That article pulled the same old trick people always complain about regarding biased journalism. They took a quote or two that was perhaps suggestive, and then embroidered around it with narrative and stuck on a brazen headline to make it sound like someone said something more than they said.

Saying the Orange Man is bad is actually a pretty centrist position.

9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Perhaps, but it has lost any claim to objectivity.

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I might agree about the headline being sneaky; I don't agree that "Orange Man bad" is a centrist position.

I think there are probably plenty of people that like Trump's economy, tax cuts and wall-building efforts, who might not like his style, bloviating etc.

11. JuanValdez

Scoreboard: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Okay, that's a little snarky. But he has lower approval (and net approval) ratings, and higher disapproval ratings than every president since WWII this far into a tenure. He's the only president since WWII to average negative net approval ratings this far in (GWB's and Nixon's second terms were net negative, but their first terms were strong). Of course, there's a lot of things that can impact approval ratings. There are plenty of people who do use this fig leaf that they "like his policies, but hate his style." I guess I'd point out that the "Orange Man Bad" idea does not imply that people think his policy positions about tax-cuts or whatever are bad, but that he himself is corrupt in some way -- that is, the "style" that people object to. So, if his approval ratings suck despite people liking his policies (a stretch because both the wall and the tax cut are struggling on approval ratings themselves), then it must be that the thumbs down is motivated by Orange Man Bad. So still centrist.

Of course, you can give Orange Man Bad a more extreme definition -- that it doesn't mean Trump is corrupt in some vague way, but that people believe he actually colluded with the Russians. In that case, per this poll (a bit old now), Trump wins 43-42. Even if it isn't a majority position though, having 42% of people saying they think you are probably guilty of wrongdoing is too big a block to dismiss as fringe. So still centrist.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The 538 poll is showing 53.3% approval rating (?) Isn't that pretty darn good? Unless I am misreading something ....

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yes, you are misreading the word "Disapprove" since the orange line refers to "disapprove", the green line "approve." By the way, these aggregate numbers are also consistent with Real Clear Politics numbers.

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Hmmm. You do seem to be correct, at least about what the poll says.

Still, I'm not sure why he would have a 53% disapproval rating. According to me, he's just doing just fine. :D

15. biff17

biff17 Member

Congress passes open borders bill.

remember that one from Brietbart?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

he liked the poll and was quick to cite it when he was misreading it - "Isn't that pretty darn good"

but now that he is reading it correctly he seems to be questioning the validity of it.

#sad.

and im not sure why he ONLY has a 53% disapproval rating. seems low to me.

Harrisment likes this.
  17. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Dude, I glanced at it while I was at work; and then, realizing my error, I made a joke (or attempted to).

Being sincere, I don't see why his disapproval is that high, but eh...........

18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

And, as I said at that time, it's their -interpretation- of that bill. You can't say it's wrong or a lie -- it's their characterization of the bill. They believe that that bill will lead to an open borders policy. Time will tell.

If I asked you if the color chartreuse was lovely or garish; and then you picked "lovely" (or "garish"); and then I said "that's incorrect" ....wouldn't that be ridiculous of me?

CNN spins things, Breitbart spins things -- pretty much everyone does. The question then is whether you think the spin/interpretation is accurate.

I think this is how some people think Trump is a "liar" on so many things -- they don't agree with his spin.

19. JuanValdez

You're too generous. A lot of the partisan characterization is actually willful mischaracterization. To take your chartreuse example, it'd be like saying chartreuse is lovely because it's such a dark, somber, tranquil color. It might be so that chartreuse is lovely, but it ain't dark, somber, or tranquil. Those would be lies.

biff17 likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

alternatively, the aesthetic judgment that chartreuse is "dark, somber, or tranquil" could simply be mistaken or in error. Being a "lie" is not the only possible explanation.