1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

EVOLUTIONARY THEORY REFUTED?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Sep 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SexyButIgnorant

I actually haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure it's the same book that a friend of mine has told me to pick up.

Certainly sounds interesting though. Love reading other opinions and theories on the rise of Christianity, but I've never really found too much importance in the fact that Paul's writings come first historically. One thing that's always caught my attention in the Bible is how there's a couple of subtle verses that (to me) Paul and Peter didn't have the best of relationships. But I've never made too much of it, what with the Council of Jerusalem.

But, for example, take John's epistles that were written way after (if i'm not mistaken) Paul's epistles. I'd imagine Tabor's theory would have John on one side of the argument, and Paul on the other. But even though John writes so much about guarding yourselves against false teachers, he doesn't mention Paul as a false teacher. And that would have been the perfect opportunity to specifically point him out, if he were preaching another gospel. Especially because Paul, by then, had already influenced so much of the Roman world with his writings.

That, and I honestly don't see the concept of two versions of Christianity with Paul and the apostles. I mean, there's definitely things that Paul emphasizes (works of the law in relation to gentiles) that the apostles don't, but it doesn't mean its a different gospel.

Of course, I could also just be completely missing the mark with the theory. :grin:

2. bongman

bongman Member

Yes, the "they are just metaphors argument". Is there an * or a footnote in each page which specifies which ones are suppose to be taken as metaphors or literally?

Evolution which is the topic in hand, is in conflict with the claim that god created man in his own image. The study of evolution concludes that our ancestors were not anywhere close to what we are now - physically and mentally.

According to bible scholars, the place where Adam and Eve originated is located somewhere in Iraq. Majority of the scientific committee agrees that we came from Africa - specifically Congo.

The bible got one thing right, the first animals on this planet were sea creatures but it also claims the birds were created the same day. That is not what the fossil records show.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You continue to be your same delusional self. Do you really think that a significant number of offerings here at CF are "new" or "compelling"?

This little video was well-done, concise and took the bull by the horns.

BTW, I am neither a Creationist nor a Biblical fundamentalist.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm not struggling to refute its two basic propositions.

1. Organisms gain and lose genetic material ALL THE TIME. Any basic biology course goes over mutations: insertions, deletions, additions. These happen randomly. That doesn't even include the more "complex" methods such as introducing viral DNA that is talked about in higher education courses.

Scientists have been manipulating DNA of organisms for decades now. They've seen it in nature and know how to recreate it in labs. The first proposition is easily debunked.

2. I admit that yes, this one is more of a question mark. It hasn't really been recreated in labs with much success. BUT, what a lot of anti-evolutionists ignorantly believe, evolution and abiogenesis are two different studies. So, the second point does NOT refute evolution.

Boom. That sure was a struggle.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I believe your problem is that you believe that there is a legitimate "debate" going on by relevant parties about the validity of evolution over creationism. Be not mistaken. This "debate" is nothing more than a push back by laymen religous fundamentalists grasping at straws.

6. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I don't think you're missing the mark at all, my friend.

Bolded two of your points, to emphasize something, because I tracked along those lines myself for a long time...

Tabor's theory of there being two different "versions" of Christ's message (not simply doctrinal differences) does rest on that very fact (very slightly referenced in the New Testament, but could not be totally ignored): there were two schools of thought on delivering Jesus' message beyond the Jewish world.

Paul is considered to be the primary "author" of what we now know of as Christianity. The book of Romans is, in many ways a type of treatise, to parallel the Jewish Torah in a sense, and it is generally agreed to be wholly written by Paul (an educated Roman citizen with knowledge of both Greek and Aramaic). It could be offered that, as witnessed in the Gospels themselves, there were often perspectives that Jesus espoused that were virtually unrecognizable to his countrymen, even his disciples who spent three years travelling around ancient Galilee with him.

Tabor does not downplay the hypothesis, however, of the Jerusalem Christian movement (with James, the brother of Jesus at its head) having serious issues with the doctrinal hypotheses offered by Paul. The New Testament accounts in the book of Acts suggests that Paul had to get permission to deliver his message from the Jerusalem Christian sect (or at least, prove he WASN'T a heretic, after a fashion), because he had spent so much time in Asia Minor and the Roman world, separating centuries-old Jewish religious dogma from the "faith", that was in constant competition at the time with dozens of other religious observations.

It could be that, simply, as "historical" presentation has offered, everybody else eventually came around to Paul's way of thinking. Paul's way of thinking...however Jewish he remained...was very much influenced by his Hellenized upbringing and education.

Nowhere, historically or theologically, did Judaism ever make a claim for bodily resurrection, for instance. Judaism considered death a type of "sleep" until the soul was called up from Sheol to be judged in the last days. Even the disciples believed this, up until and possibly even beyond the death of Jesus. Paul himself believed in a living Jesus, but one in a new body...not a resuscitated corpse, as tradition offers...a sentiment that has its roots in the Greco-Roman belief in an afterlife...hierarchies of spiritual beings and such...

The problem anybody would have (understandably) with Tabor's theories is that, again, we would have to unmoor ourselves (much as the disciples had to with Jesus, oddly enough), from the tradition of the Gospels occurring "historically" before, say, the book of Romans.

You'd have to understand and accept that all of the Gospel narratives were written and circulated at least 20 to 30 years after Paul's letters and mission. All of the Gospel narratives are not first-hand accounts (not written by the people for whom they have been titled), and are therefore most likely written by people who had come to accept the "version" of Christianity that was winning popularly, especially in the Greco-Roman world.

And I say this with a Bible in front of me every day, which makes references to the authenticity of the authorship of the Gospels being for the people for whom they are named. And those references are made by Bible scholars, as well.

The book itself explains this better than I can (with a great deal of reference reading material, from varied sources), and I certainly am not looking to shred anyone's faith in Christianity. I've done enough damage to myself;).

I have personally found this account very credible. The process, not necessarily the result, often holds the most fascination for me, personally.

...and this IS a thread about evolution, right?:grin:

7. giddyup

How does all that randomness result in the dominant human population... relatively late in the cosmological time scale?

Doesn't random mutation mean here and there, now and then... and often never the same?

8. giddyup

I think I said it best earlier ~" there is more faith demanded of science than scientists will admit.... and the observable science props-up many of the creationist claims"-- particularly when it comes to the theory of evolution of humankind.

Let us know when they find the Missing Link....

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Of course a layman would believe that science requires faith. The "missing link" argument put forth by laymen has been **** on and debunked several thousands of tines. I hope you are being sarcastic in that last statement .

10. Duncan McDonuts

If you give random chance enough opportunity, don't you think it could eventually happen? Our Earth is 4.5 billion years old. Our universe is estimated at 14 billion years. It is entirely possible that organic life exists somewhere out there because the universe is so vast. To be honest, I'm not sure what your first point is or how that even relates to evolution.

To your second point, the answer is yes.

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

It is not our fault that you ignore the 1500+ transitional fossils that have been found so far.

You may claim not to be a creationist, but you are posting creationism drivel.

12. giddyup

I was being sarcastic but isn't it true that science is riddled with leaps of faith? Even in this thread it is suggested that germ theory is still just a theory. It would be interesting to catalogue what is truly "known" vs what is only "theorized" in science.

Science does require faith. You think I mean some kind of religious faith. I didn't. I meant faith in what you want the outcome to be....

#92 giddyup, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  13. giddyup

You seem to argue that randomness works but takes a LONG time. How doe we account for the rapid ascent of the human species... after arriving late in the geologic timeline? Humans don't put out litters of children....

I certainly believe that other life exists in the Universe.

14. giddyup

Are those transition points theorized or proven?

Most of genetic "deletion" is trivial and certainly doesn't led to new species; that which is not is usually fatal according to what I read. The rest seems to be very slow working according to this piece on rainbow trout:

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/sc...out-genome-shows-how-genetic-material-evolved

15. Duncan McDonuts

By laws of probability, randomness could take a long time. But it could also happen pretty quickly. That's why it's random. What point are you trying to make regarding randomness and evolution?

The ascent of humans has to do with many factors, mostly our intelligence compared to other species. Again, what point are you trying to connect this to evolution?

16. giddyup

That random mutations would affect one creature at a time, not an entire species.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder. . . was INTELLIGENT the last thing about humans that can be attributed to Evolution?

Rocket River

18. giddyup

I think even that is going backwards; we may have heads full of useless knowledge but if most people had to use their wits to survive they'd be in trouble.

Then let's talk about physical fitness.... more like DEVOLUTION

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It begs the question. Is giddy human? Is he the missing link? Hmm... this could explain a lot.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did you read what I posted earlier when I replied to you?

People have too many misconceptions about evolution and think it is something magical.