1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everything Beltran related!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Alimoe84, Jan 9, 2005.

?

Who is to blame for the Beltran debacle??

1. Carlos Beltran

82 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Scott Borass

56 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Drayton McLane and Tim Purpura

28 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. MLB rules

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. other (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Why we shouldn't boo Beltran

Ok people, this is hard for me to say right now because I am as pissed off as the next diehard Astros fan that we couldn't sign Beltran. Do you all remember how excited we were last offseason? When we got Pettitte and Clemens? Half of the people here didn't even know who Carlos Beltran was. Even without Carlos our team was predicted to compete for the WS. Well we all know how the season started. Then we acquire Beltran knowing that he's probably another rental like Randy Johnson, but the magical run in the regular season and post season made us fall in love with Beltran and Astros baseball all over again. What I'm trying to say is that when Beltran comes to Houston in another uniform, I hope all of us fans can remember what a magical run he and and the rest of the team gave us. He might not be in an Astros uniform anymore, but theres no doubt that he played as hard as he could whenever he put that jersey on. Making sliding catches, tattooing the baseball etc. I just really hope that this city takes the opportunity that we'll have to show some class and not boo this guy, because for the first time in my lifetime, he gave me something to do in October.

2. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Sorry still booing.

Beltran lied to us saying that it wasn't about the $$$. I should have know he like the rest. It's all about the $$$.
    Where is Jerry MaGuire when u need 'em.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm going to boo him. He should have let us know earlier that he was all about the money. He screwed us out of making other offseason moves. I won't cheer that greedy sack of poop.

#3 bigtexxx, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Heck no I'm not booing Beltran. Why? Do you not prefer more money to less money? Drayton McLane continued his penny-pinching ways when we could least afford to do so. He got burned. Plain and simple. This negotiation boiled down to MONEY. Drayton wouldn't pay to play. Good luck fielding a winner next year, Drayton. Please God, sell the team to someone who recognizes the value of paying for talent. Please.

Drayton is one of the richest owners in the game. There is absolutely no excuse for this. Especially when you consider the new regional sports network that is in the works. No excuse but stinginess on the part of McLane. AGAIN.

5. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's the advantage of not booing? We might get him in 2012?
    I don't think it matters. He will probably hear plenty of boos in NY even if he is playing well. I wouldn't call him an enemy of the Astros by any means, but I don't think a warm welcome is really justified. I think complete silence might be a better option. He gets called up to bat and MMP goes completely silent.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I am so booing his ass. Screw him for not coming here.

Man....I had to drink forget tonight instead of drinking in celebration. Damnit....I can't ebelive we didn'ast get him!

7. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

I'll be booing his greedy ass all day :mad:

8. Uprising

make us wait this long, and miss out on the other big FA....damn you. DAMN YOU!

9. HoneyNut Ichiro

HoneyNut Ichiro Contributing Member

It depends on where he signs...if he goes to the Mets for $106 million, I'm gonna boo until I can't talk anymore. If he goes to the Yankees, however, for $150 million, then maybe not.

10. Uprising

as long as he stays out of our division!

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why NOT boo beltran? If it wasn't for him being traded to the Astros, he would have NEVER had a postseason like that (ESPECIALLY during a contract season) in Kansas City. That postseason bumped his value up so much that the Mets are willing to overpay.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im booing. And throwing **** at him.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

And you base that on what? I hope it wasn't the Beltran negotiations, or your baseball creditibility might be shot.

Oh yeah, BOOOOO

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm going to have a hard time booing him because one of my best astros memories is now of the incredible show he put on for us last year in the playoffs. but a part of me now really believes he had no intention of signing here at all and used us to increase an offer from either of the new york teams. f#$k it, boo the traiter!

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

You are a long time respected poster and I have read some very good posts from you in the past, but come now, there is alot of ignorance in this post tonight. I used to believe Drayton was a penny pincher, but no more. The offer he made Beltran was EXTREMELY generous by market standards.

You say Drayton is one of the richest owners in the game. No owner in major league baseball is going to run their team out of pocket like it is a hobby. These teams are run as businesses, and the payroll comes out of income generated by these teams.

Also, I thought the proposed new sports network idea was scrapped?

I really wanted Beltran too and I am hurt and betrayed tonight, but we should'nt blame Drayton. He sincerely did everything he could and should have to bring Beltran here. Blame classless,greedy, hypocritical Carlos Beltran.

16. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

ALl about the money... bOOOOOO!

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Hell, No, I am booing.

And I am bringing all my buddies with me to boo his dumbass too.

I encourage EVERYONE to do the same

Man, Screw Beltran, I am so pissed right now.

I can assure everyone, he is going to be royally booed when he comes to Minute Maid; as he should be.

#17 tim562, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  18. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I am not as big of a Astros fan as some of ya'll I am a HARDCORE Rockets fan so I understand why so many are pissed off, if this were to happen with the ROX and some young talent I would be pissed off too...I say BOOOO away..

19. drapg

drapg Member

100% agreed.

I'll boo him 'till I'm blue in the face.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Of course we should boo him, like texxx said, if we had known he was all about the cash, we wouldn't have wasted such precious time waiting for Boras to throw us little scraps of negotation time. Vladimir Guerrero is a better player and he's making way less than Beltran, so we were going to overpay if we got him. The only reason we should be upset with Drayton is the fact that we were willing to overpay Beltran this season, yet we couldn't have gone after a guy like Vlad when the market was in our favor last season?