1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Everett out two months

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rodrick_98, Jun 15, 2007.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

well.... crap.

i realize it's being discussed in the game thread, but whatever. bring on the new era of killer B.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4892199.html

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

wasn't everett starting to hit the ball pretty well a couple years back before he broke his wrist? tough timing.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

AE is garbage. I hope they realize they don't need him.

4. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

This is great news for the organization. He makes some great plays in the field...but is such a liability at the plate. It makes him out to be a subpar Major League Shortstop. I'd rather have a guy hit and make a few errors here and there. That's a sacrafice you have to make.
    I hope he never comes back!!!!

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Thanks alot you, fat no running, horrible defending, unable to run the bases "horse".

Everett was trying to cover your position because he saw you eat a few burritos in the tunnel last inning.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yeah, let's get pissed at one of the only players worth a damn for taking out one of the worst players on the team.

you should be thanking carlos.

7. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Anybody who is glad that somebody broke their leg is a jerk.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yay for the hoopsters!!!!!!!

9. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Especially when that somebody does not play for the Mets or something.

"...they're not going to be able to turn two... or are they?!"

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Everett was placed on the 15-day disabled list and the club recalled Eric Bruntlett from Class AAA Round Rock to take his spot.

IIRC Bruntlett has been play well as of late.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hurry back Adam !

DD

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's the only silver lining I can take from this... somebody who probably didn't deserve to not be on the opening day roster (over Lane) gets promoted.

Bruntlett is ultra-versatile... he'd be our second best OF right now (behind Pence), and is likely our best SS. He also can play 2B and 3B if needed.

If the guy continues to hit, they can find a way to get him into the lineup on a semi-regular basis.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just going to say that. Say what you want about his offense. he is one of the best defensive shortstops I've ever seen AND he was a Houston Astro. Anyone happy that he is hurt needs to turn in any and all Astros gear you own because you cannot consider yourself a fan.

You'll see the worth of Everett the next time a slow grounder is hit up the middle or on the 2nd base side and Biggio and Loretta aren't even in the picture...a play that AE makes with ease.

I'm glad that Bruntlett is back as he should be on the team, just not at the expense of a bad injury to Everett. It should have been at the expense of Orlando Palmiero's job.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This still hurts the day after...Yes, his bat sux, but the his fielding will be sorely missed...I think Eric can do a great job, but he's no Adam...

Hope he gets well soon...

btw, that would suck to hear the snap as Carlos did...I think you'd hear it in your sleep...

15. MadMax

no they won't. because they won't look for it. they won't know it when they see it. i'm not trying to call anyone out in particular, but people who pour over the game notice things like that...nuances...things that ARE NOT happening as opposed to just things that happen. they will notice that bruntlett will get one more hit every 100 at bats, though. they'll only notice that because of a number on the bottom of the screen when he comes up to bat.

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Because "baseball is like Church...many attend, few understand..." or something condescending like that...

:)

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His defense will be SORELY missed, no doubt about it.

But.....

I am anxious to see what a more offensive player at that position would do for the club, I know talk is of Bruntlett, but I would move Loretta or Burke over there for the majority of the games to see what happens.

Heck, the team can't get much worse.

DD

18. MadMax

i don't mean it to be condescending. and i didn't say it...just quoted it. there are tons more things that i don't fully grasp. and i won't pretend i fully grasp baseball. i most certainly do not. but in my opinion, there is nothing more underrated than the value of defense up the middle in baseball. underrated by casual fans, i mean. i think fantasy baseball is partly to blame for that (though, i love it). and i think the game itself is difficult to understand. and i don't think people know what they have in everett, in terms of value to this team where you need groundball pitchers.

19. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

It will be interesting to see what the defense will be like. It was at a point where ground balls up the middle being caught are the norm and he does it with such ease that you can't really tell if that play is difficult or not.

And some here said Jeter was better defensively...

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Scouts got fired when Burke was drafted because they sold the team on him being a SS when it was clear he would never be a major league SS. Burke will not see any time there unless Loretta and Bruntlett get hurt. Even then, they'll call up Danny Klassen. Loretta will get a majority of the time there with EB getting the spot start there, at 3rd, and in the OF.