1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Even when they make the right decision, the Rockets shoot themselves in the foot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, Jun 2, 2003.

1. JR

JR Contributing Member

I haven't had a chance to read every single thread, so if this has been discussed already, just ignore me or tell me I'm an ass or whatever, but . . .

Why in the hell has this coaching search been so disorganized? If you make the decision to fire Rudy, have a clue about who you want to replace him BEFORE you pull the trigger. If there had been any planning involved here, Carroll Dumbson and Less Alexander wouldn't be standing around giving each other . . . I mean, twiddling their thumbs. Instead they are going to wind up with at best their second choice and possibly their third or fourth choice.

It is inexcusable to be FIRST to act in this game of coaching musical chairs and then have to REACT to everyone else.

This whole thing should have been handled completely differently. Once the team was eliminated from the playoffs but before the season was over, Les should have met with CD and Rudy and told Rudy he was done, but gracefully allowed Rudy to resign and use his health problems as a very believable cover without having to completely embarass an admittedly terrible coach but a great guy and a franchise icon by forcing him to resign after he publicly stated on numerous occasions after the season that he was definitely going to be back as coach and couldn't wait for the season to start.

With this announcement, the Rockets could have taken their time and actually planned a real coaching search before the hiring frenzy started.

I can't even believe a retread like Done-leavy is in the running for this spot. BARF.

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

id put in my 2 cents but i agree with every single thing you said. good post

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Brown, Van Gundy, Dunleavy...Its all the same. This team needs change and all 3 of those guys can deliver. No sweat.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree. I keep seeing people calling Dunleavy a Rudy clone. Mike Dunleavy is NOTHING like Rudy Tomjanovich. While Rudy is a little more loose on the reigns Dunleavy is tight on the reigns, sometimes to a fault. It'll be interesting, especially Van Gundy who is a big Yao fan and has coached big men. Van Gundy is the same guy that managed to squeeze the last drop of production out of an aging Patrick Ewing, and actually turned Marcus Camby into a big time contributor and shot-blocking champion. Maybe Van Gundy can get Griffin to get serious and produce. If we can get the same production out of Griffin that Van Gundy got out of Camby during Camby's peak time in New York we'll be a great shape.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rocks Mill.

I too like Dunleavy.

DD

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, if it's a matter of money (the reason we lost Brown, or part of it), possibly the Rockets are stringing this out to see if someone will bite on a lesser offer. Hopefully the tactic won't bite us in the ass (actually, being bitten in the ass, well, it's not so bad, if you get to choose the time and the place and THE PERSON, but in this case, well, you know, not so good....I'll shut up now...)

7. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Please stop putting Dunleavy and Van Gundy in the same class as Brown. Capable coaches? Yes. Hall of fame coaches? Hell no.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Then you're really going to enjoy it when Less Alexander hires him. Dunleavy is less expensive than Van Gundy.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i didnt know marv albert posted here!

YESSSS!:eek:

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the whole dunleavy thing just seems to be part of the "good ol' boy, keep it in the family, we want change but not too drastic" attitude of the managment. maybe dawson feels like he can be more in control of dunleavy rather than JVG since dunleavy played under him at one time. the whole thing just makes no sense to me. if we had our stuff together half as good as detroit than we would be alright. maybe detroit handled it pretty underhandedly, but at least they got their guy.

11. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

This isn't just a feeling. I remember reading somewhere that MD's agent made it very clear that MD just wants to coach. He doesn't want any GM responsibility at all. That would appeal to the Rockets since LA and CD aren't going anywhere.

I think Dunleavy would bring enough discipline to get the players back in line without pissing them off. He runs the uptempo offense Les wants and has always coached a good defensive strategy. His record isn't worse than Browns: lower reg season winning percentage, higher playoff winning percentage, same number of rings 0. Brown was probably the smartest man in basketball, Dunleavy isn't far behind him according to several respected people in the league, such as Jerry West.

Brown was the first choice of the fans, and probably of management but that option is gone now so lets move on.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What exactly has Larry Brown done to deserve Hall of Fame consideration? One NBA Finals appearance in like 14 years?

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, it has been discussed already. Of the 30 threads on the 1st page, 26 are about our coaching choice. Of those, about 1/3 are ranting about how incompetent the management is in the process. So chances are, if you just close your eyes and click, you'll see a few posts saying the same thing you said.

No, they won't just ignore you. They'll ignore you and start another thread talking about the same thing.

Sorry, nothing personal. I'm just pretty fed up with all the repetitive rant. It's worse than the Yao hype last year.

14. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

He took the clippers to the playoffs... that would be about it. That is pretty impressive though ;)