1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Even Linda Cohn and SportsCenter Pointing out how crappy our Offense is.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by persian hoopa, Jan 27, 2003.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

moomoo - It's about Glen Rice. I was against the trade from Day 1.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

If this is the case, then Rudy either can't design plays because he lacks the know-how. Or he's just lazy.
    I mean, he's done this with Barkley and Hakeem. Just give them the ball and get the hell out of the way.
    What kinda of "coaching" is that? It's the most brain-dead coaching style I've ever seen.

Rudy's game plan: "Just wind-'em up, and let them run around like a bunch clueless toy robots..."

#102 DavidS, Jan 28, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  3. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Great, the Rockets are on Sportscenter for all the wrong reasons.

Once again, Houston is the laughing stock of the nation...

The Oilers, Enron, Minute Maid Park, Super Bowl 38 logo, etc...

4. DavidS

Haven't seen it yet...

What does it look like? Pin-striped Pajamas?

5. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

How about...the most frightening women in the world?

Too many to describe.

Yep...our offense is crappy. I bet we could find at least two mistakes the Kings made on offense. Right, our offense really is terrible. We have a lot of good plays, too. But it is crappy.

GARY PAYTON?!?!?!?!? It depends on if he wants more money than Elton Brand. I would rather get Elton Brand than Gary Payton. But Gary Payton would be nice. Then we would have 3 leaders on our team. Steve Francis would be extremely jealous. Yao Ming would be frustrated and bending down. And Gary Payton would be trying to lead the team. They would all be jealous. That would make 3 franchise players.

6. fallingwaters

fallingwaters Member

u're so stupid...be realistic; you know everyone meant if cato or any other rockers were open in the lane or inside the 3pt line that aren't 3 pt shooters; then the gaurds should pass to them. and even if cato was at the 3pt line...they should still pass so they can have ball movement in the offense.

7. fatman510

fatman510 Member

You guys dont seem to realize that the most horrible and stupid guard in the history of the NBA is the 6th leading scorer and the starter in the freakin all star game. Right now the guards are our offense and Yao the second or third option. Obviously as he gets more aquainted with our offense and our players he will be involved more..but right now Francis is the MVP candidate..not Yao. Stop bashing the guards we have a winning record which is much better than people thought we would be so enjoy it while it lasts(hopefully for years)

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Francis is an MVP candidate? Are you serious? The All Star game is a popularity contest and NBA history is littered with scorers who have no rings or little playoff experience.

Neither the Suns (7th WC seed) nor the Magic (8th EC seed) have a 4 game losing streak. Has there ever been a non-playoff team MVP? I have a severe doubt. A "winning record" in the WC doesn't count for much (ie, a 45 win lottery team).

#108 GATER, Jan 28, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  9. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

I don't think so. Rudy mentioned also every time after the team lost gently about our executive. He did indicate for a span of time, we should have gone to the low post, implying our selfish guard play. Of course, he did not point that out expressly.

In fact, Franchise mentioned that a couple of time himself after the team lost. But he came back the same selfish play in the next game.

I guess they are so used to street (hero) BB, he and Mobley simply subconsciously went back to ISO, in particular when we are leading the sub-par team.

:( :(

10. carayip

carayip Member

It really doesn't matter if Francis is leading scorer (BTW, if you shoot more than anyone else, you will score more), all-star or not, we all know he has talent but seeing such a talent did the things he did makes it even more frustrating. :(

11. Timing

Timing Member

Our guards are a running joke around this league. It's ridiculous.

12. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

It's sad. Very sad. :(

SF and Taylor for Duncan and Parker.

13. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

He has 4 years to learn playing PG. he gest paid $85 mil for it!!!!
    If he can't do that then it's money that should be invested elsewhere.

14. bury3

bury3 Member

Yes, but for a team with talent this year that can win over 50 games, Francis has got a lot to do with us being at no.8 and teetering over the edge out of the playoffs.

His star complex is growing. Maybe because he got all the positive press last year, hearing how the Rockets are nothing without him. It has got to stop. It took an embarassing trade to wake Stephon up. I hope it doesn't take anything that drastic for Stevie to change the way he plays this year.

15. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

JeffB - best post I have read in a long time. I hope it doesn't get drowned out by all the sound and fury.

16. DavidS

Artistically speaking, yes. His goal is to someday
    build a championship team...but those are just symbolic words...(warm fuzzys).

But for now...no, he's trying to build a team that can make it to the play-offs. First thing is first. The current Rocket players (except Mobley) don't know the first thing about the play-offs. There is no way to just be "champs." They HAVE TO experience it.

Once they have, then you can start building for a team that is a chapmionship team. It's a progression. To improve, year after year.

You throw out team names like Sacramento, Dallas, New Jersey, Philly and call them "chokers?" And I can't believe you actually think that Dallas, Jersey, Philly, Sacramento can't "improvise." Heard of Iverson? What about Kidd? Nash?

Do you know who they lost to? Could it be they lost to better teams? The Lakers?
    And Dallas is young. They will learn; scary team
    when they do. What you call "improvise" I call lack of discipline to the team game.

Portland choked, yes. But their problem is a lack of a true leader.

And as far as Rudy calling timeouts. It's only been in 1 game (LA) that I've seen Rudy NOT call a timeout after giving up a lot of points. He let them "play through it." Jackson has been doing this for years. Rudy has just started doing this this year.

"Improvising" is good. But Rudy was too extreme on this. We all want balance. Not letting the player "loose" whenever they want.

One philosophy that I do like from Rudy?
    The half-court game. If there's one thing that can prepare you for the play-offs, it's the half-court game. Although, it's fun to see the fast-break during the regular season. I'm always willing to sacrafice that "fun" in exchange for our players learning how the run the half-court game. This prepares them for the rigors of the play-offs. The game slows down, but the pressure increases. But, ISOs and "improvising" on the extreme level is not what we want.

But as you said, "swinging the pendulum too far." We don't want that. Balance is what we want.

It's gotten better, though. It's not as painful to watch. Posey has really opened up the court for us.

17. coachbp3

coachbp3 Member

Great scott!! The Rox offense is so crappy that I am wishing I was the head coach instead of Rudy.I'll make steve sit on the bench for two games if he misses an open Yao one more time.And every game that we lose I'll make each player hit 1000 shots a day.If they say that they don't want to be under my system,I'll say bye bye and hello to a new player.I could even say hello to bron bron when I trade c-mo,glen rice and the #1 pick.I hate have to consistenly scream at every game I watch, when The two guards make a dumb move to benfit themselves.

Go Posey and Ming

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Don't know if this is the same thing that this thread is about but on the espn.com page it says that a topic on the 5pm showing of sportscenter is called Underutilizing Yao?.

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually don't believe those teams could improvise despite the fact that they had individual players (Iverson, Kidd, Nash) who could. Maybe some of them can today, but they couldn't then. Harping on the talents of an individual player as if his ability alone is representative of the team is BS. Of course those teams who choked lost to better teams, but what made those teams better? That is what I am adressing.

I think Rudy is trying to build this team through a process which he coninually tries to remind us by saying "its a process." However, I think Rudy's coaching style tends towards getting a team to a championship than merely making the playoffs. I think Rudy is trying to not build in any bad habits and dependencies into his team.

My point: Rudy is building a champion.
    Not my point: Rudy is trying to skip the part where he builds a playoff contender.

I beleive that inorder to build that champion, of course the team will have to be a playoff contender. My argument is that Rudy is not just building a playoff team, he is building a championship team. Rudy is training this team with a keen eye on the end result.
    I have seen everygame this season and Rudy always lets this team try to "play through it" before he calls a timeout. Just check the game threads and see how often people are complaining that Rudy doesn't sub-properly or call timeouts at the right moment.

Despite all the hating on PJ, he is one of my favorite coaches primarily because he coaches the game as an artform.
    My point exactly.

Finally, I don't see improvising and "keeping discipline in the team game" as one in the same. I see them on a continuum with wreckless, And1 streetball on one end and strict, no-thought required discipline on the other. You can keep the discipline of the team game and not improvise, just as you can improvise without keeping that team discipline. I just think that Rudy is giving his players the freedom to improvise, but the youngsters just don't understand how to do so while "keeping the discipline of the team game."

20. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Hmm...how many guards are there in the NBA that shoot 45% and up...I counted...EIGHT. Kinda makes it a rare property. Steve shoots well enough at 43%. Cat...eh, I dunno. Even I'm starting to dislike him. And I've been a Cat supporter for a long time...