1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evan Fournier

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Really lacks athleticsm from what I read from the adidas Eurocamp, they say he'll struggle in the NBA as a 2 guard. Lacks speed, max vert was only 31.5 and he didn't do good in any other athletic drill.

Here is the paragraph about him:

I got as many opinions from NBA scouts on Evan Fournier (for-ne-aye) after the day two as possible, and it was virtually unanimous that he's not a first round talent. He showed himself alright in the games with solid numbers but there were still a lot of criticisms. First and foremost, his speed and athleticism are severely lacking for an NBA 2-guard. Among the camp of mostly mid European level talent and younger players, Fournier looked like just another camper in the morning drills and stations. He played two games, the second of which was more competitive as it was his French national team going against the Russian National team. He's not short on confidence as he sort of struts around and has an arrogance about him, although it's all very contained and in a way that doesn't rub most people wrong. One scout used the term, "prima donna". Without question he's an effective offensive talent, but whether or not he has the athleticism to make it in the league is still up for debate, as is who the top international prospect from this year's draft class.

For a guy that was supposed to be the best talent in camp, he didn't press enough to prove that. In the first game he seemed reluctant to attack the rim, even with defenders such as former Arizona oaf Kyryl Natyazkho under the basket. Instead he deferred, opting to kick the ball out to teammates. He started the game well with a breakaway dunk off a turnover and then hit a nice 18 foot jumper. But then seemed to get too comfortable just fading into being one of the players. At one point an NBA scout I was sitting with said, "he doesn't appear too interested in playing any defense". He had a nice play driving to the basket where he adjusted under the rim using the basket to screen his defender. But his below the rim mid-range game is just not going to translate at the NBA level. Ukraine 1991 combo guard Olyksandr Lypovyy did an excellent job defending Fournier, staying in front of him and not allowing him to get to the rim for most of the game.

Fournier had a nice breakaway dunk in game 2 with a defender a step behind him. He showed more willingness to create off the dribble using crossovers and shake moves in attempts to get around his defender at the top of the key. He's smooth but not extremely fast. Something like Marco Belinelli athletically only missing the incredible outside shooting. I credit Fournier for playing in the event and putting his talent in front of the scrutiny of NBA scouts. He's a likable prospect and some obviously do like him, as he has a swagger and smoothness to his game. I just don't think the talent level is there to warrant a pick in the first round, regardless of the "stash potential". Fournier will be a great player in France if nothing else, and could carve out a niche with the right NBA team someday if he continues to improve.

http://nbadraft.net/2012-adidas-eurocamp-day-2-recap

measurements: http://nbadraft.net/2012-adidas-eurocamp-anthros-and-veriticals

2. cod

cod Member

3. cod

cod Member

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/11/2012-adidas-eurocamp-day-2-recap/

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

So nbadraft.net hates him but draftexpress/PBT are impressed. I'll take that although I will concede that he does have his flaws.

5. cod

cod Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AZ0E0hq40hs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. cod

cod Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NE8q5JimtNg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. ironariza

ironariza Member

should be 5-14 pick

great guy

8. ironariza

ironariza Member

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Late first rounder IMO. I don't think he will be able to get to the line or finish around the basket in the NBA. Good shooter.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm coming around on Fournier and Ross. I can see the possibility of drafting a SG simply for need. Lee is a good guy, but we need more length and finishing at that spot. I'd really like to get Beal. But I like this kid too. He's got a good handle, is very aggressive to the rim and he's got the J working along with good size for the SG spot. I can see the Manu in him.

I could understand Morey drafting this guy or Ross at 16.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds about right. Looks like he's got a great shot. Can shoot of the dribble, which is good. I'd still like to take him if he's there after pick 25.

12. ironariza

ironariza Member