1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eurohoops: Bucks, Pelicans negotiating with Rockets for Kostas Papanikolaou

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 12, 2013.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. Hustle points!

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

I've seen these deadline buyouts mentioned a few times over the years. I think it's usually just a set date where the player has to show a NBA contract to their club otherwise they're locked in for that season. That said the player/NBA team can still negotiate for a release after this deadline.

Though with the limited shelf life of playing careers. If he really does want to come over now. The right thing would be to trade him to a team who are able to accommodate him.

3. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Right thing my ass... We are trying to build a championship roster. You don't trade players to accommodate them, you trade players to accommodate you. He plays overseas another year then plays for the Rockets, or plays overseas for his career.

4. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

[contra.gr]Papanikolaou to be brought over next year

http://www.contra.gr/Basketball/USA/NBA/o-xaoyarnt-frenarei-ton-papanikolaoy.2333955.html

It's a Greek source, so let me translate the article here.

Not a lot of news or something one couldn't already figure out by themselves, but I figured somebody might be interested.

3 people like this.
  5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

that sucks, we need someone like him off the bench. but assuming jamees and parsons play more defense then it can wait. good to the front office has confidence in him. he's nba ready and has perfect size for a sf.

6. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Nice find. Thanks for sharing. It's always good to be updated with Rox's foreign stashes.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent find, OP! I'm eager for any news about this kid, and look forward to him joining the team after this season. Thanks for the info. :)-

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I wish we could bring him and Llull over now.

10. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Yeah, me too. This guy's resume is impressive.

Little bits of info that other Rox fans might find interesting:

- Kostas Papanikolaou's team (Olympiacos) was the one that beat Llull's (Real Madrid) team at the Euroleague championships. Nice to know that we have players in both teams that're studs.

- Both Llull and Papanikolaou should be free to sign by 2014. Llull has mentioned in past interviews that he wishes to win the Euroleague before being more receptive to entering the NBA. Let's hope he wins it next so that we'd have a better chance at signing him.

- Papanikolaou is team mates with polarizing former Rox player Vasilis Spanoulis.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Llull and Kostas or Reggie W. and Casspi Upgrades... They way I see it the Rockets will want to upgrade Reggie Williams and Casspi and if Asik is traded for a pf then upgrade backup center spot. That's about it. So Kostas could already be our upgrade for Casspi. And Llull an upgrade for Reggie W. maybe.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

13. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

We're already loaded at the SF spot, and from what I hear, this guy doesn't have the muscle to bang with NBA PF's. Unless we trade Parsons or Garcia, Kostas won't get minutes on the team, and D-League would be a demotion for him.

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why will a second round rookie must get minutes on the court?

15. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

It might be difficult to convince a young starter and back to back Euroleague champion to come over on a minimum contract to serve as practice fodder. This isn't some "nba or china or food stamps" second round college scrub with no plan B.

16. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

If Bucks wants Pap. could Bucks be the 3rd team to land us LA?

houston in - LA + Leonard
    Por in - Asik + Donuts + 2nd rounder
    bucks - Lin + pap

dont know if would work by salary wise. or not.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

everything i read about this guy makes me think that Morey got a good deal in the TRob trade. On paper, this guy looks special. I'm not trying to over-hype him or anything, but he seems like someone who will really be able to help us next year, as his game appears tailor made for what we want to do offensively. Very glad Houston is holding onto this guy.

18. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

The trade as a whole won't work...u can't get Lamarcus for scraps...and what makes u think thry will give up leonard

19. anchel

anchel Member

Problem is those guys ask for MLE money; and there isn't enough MLE money to sign both. Im guessing they ask 4 per year per head.

20. anchel

anchel Member

Since the arrival of Beverley, and having Canaan right there too, I would go for the greek ahead of Llull.