1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eurohoops: Bucks, Pelicans negotiating with Rockets for Kostas Papanikolaou

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

You do realize he had to share the backcourt with Monta Ellis right? The same Monta that was holding back Stephen Curry's progress until this past season. Jennings would be a good pick up if we could get ersan too it would be robbery!

2. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

#82 okierock, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  3. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Did you just started watching basketball or something? The only thing holding Curry back was his glass ankles breaking each time they hit the court.

4. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Monta was holding him back! Ironic the first full season after he is traded (remember warriors owners fiancée didn't want to speak to him after Monta was traded for bogut?) he has a break out year? Glass ankles hurt him also but not as much as Monta chucking like an 8th grader fapping to dads new issue of playboy. Monta is a black hole... Perfect for the dallas Mavericks

5. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

I don't know what you're talking about.

Stephen Curry was just as efficient in 2010 (with Monta) as he was in 2012 (without Monta). Obviously, Monta was not "holding him back" in 2010. 2011 was a bad season for Curry, but Monta had nothing to do with it. They barely played together that season because of Curry's injury and Monta's trade.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Personally I don't even want the Rockets to deal him. He seems like a highly interesting prospect and if he wants to come to the NBA now, should come here.

7. jocar

jocar Member

The guy in the comments section @ http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/07/dunks/29692 says Papanikolaou will never play for the Rockets because of how his mentor, V-Span, got treated. Anyone hear or read Pap say anything like that?

8. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

My guess is that Morey is demanding a 1st round pick for him. If the article is true about their desire to get him, we'll get at least a 1st for him. Any time you have two or more interested parties wanting the same thing, it always drives the price up. I'm hoping the article is true.

9. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

It would be a very bad deal to include him, no matter who we got in return.

10. Crank

Crank Member

Man, its a just a wish but landing Ilyasova would be great. Really energetic and terrific rebounder.

11. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

One game is everything right? Sanders is one of the best defensive centers in the league, only 24, a much better shot blocker than Asik.

Hell even look at the effect Sanders has on defense:
    [​IMG]

And that's with two horrid defenders in Jennings and Ellis.

Only a true homer would think Asik is better than Sanders

13. bongman

bongman Member

Just found where you got those stats. Kevin Love ranked at 48th (5th lowest) :(

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Link?

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Rockets don't need Ersan, especially when we have based Cassipi coming off the bench!:cool:

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Obviously the Rockets should know and I very much trust your sources... still it's odd, because I had seen various reports on Greek site state that his buyout expires on July 15 as well, before the Eurohoops article came out.

Anyway, apparently the Hawks also are interested in Kostas, though a trade is "improbable":

http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/07/dribbling/29723

1 person likes this.
  17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the article. If I understand that correctly, next year, Papanikolaou has no buyout amount. Given his age, I would think the Rockets wouldn't mind waiting one more year, and the economics may make more sense for everyone.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Correct. He'll be a free agent next year.
    Gotta hope he doesn't sign an extension, though that may not be a huge concern given his desire to play in the NBA.

May have been posted elsewhere, but Feigen also chimed in on the KPap situation:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/07/rockets-to-add-olajuwon-to-team-staff/

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Only thing I can think of right now is the difference between an "opt out" deadline and a "buyout" deadline, if there even is a difference. I asked specifically about a buyout deadline and was told there wasn't one, to the Rockets' knowledge, and then was told and posted everything else that is now also in the Chron (don't expect him to come over this year). I'm double-checking on it.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

From what I'm told again...

- No deadline that they know of nor care about, really. It's possible that Papanikolaou could sign another contract, but it will still have an NBA buyout, so the buyout deadline doesn't seem to make sense to them.

- No interest in trading him right now, so maybe that's why no one really cares about a deadline that they don't know exists.

- Won't come over this year. Hope to bring him over ("likely") next year.

1 person likes this.