1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[EuroBasket 2013] Asik, Motiejunas, Casspi, Papanikolaou & Llull -- Sep. 4–22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Sep 2, 2013.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Turkey running isolations for Hedo and Ersan. Post-ups for Asik. The result: 0 points in 5 minutes. :)

Brutal game to watch so far.

2. LiveEatSleepRox

HEDO = struggling like no tomorrow. Can't watch the guy play.

3. basketballholic

Post ups for Asik?? (hehehehe) a coach needs to be fired.

4. leangle25

leangle25 Member

This is so painful to watch.

5. LiveEatSleepRox

Switching over to watch the GB vs Israel game, at least they're making shots which aren't free-throws.

6. HMMMHMM

Turkey is looking awwwwful. Down 32-19 at the half.

Haha. They only went to him like twice or so, I think.

Turkey's offensive is rather unimaginative, but their guards are really bad, which obviously limits your options as a coach quite a bit. Guard play is really, really important in FIBA ball.
    This also make it hard to properly judge guys like Hedo and Ersan, because rather than playing off the ball, they are Turkey's primary options on offense and have to take on way more ball-handling/shot creation duties than ideal.

(That's one of my pet-peeves with [advanced] stats and how people use them. Most of them don't at all account for shot-creation. You think players will be more efficient spotting up in the corner or roaming around the hoop?)

Edit: Second half just started. Asik almost killed himself trying to catch a ball. Hedo didn't start the second half.

Haven't watched any Israel-GB myself, but apparently Casspi isn't looking too good:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Omri is single-handedly winning Reggie Williams Houston's backup SF spot.</p>&mdash; Noam Schiller (@noamschiller) <a href="https://twitter.com/noamschiller/statuses/375252466666729472">September 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#46 HMMMHMM, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. Normalus

Normalus Member

Watched Georgia match. They play very well tho and Poland was fav. in this match. They plaid well with Lithuania last game too (lost in OT). So I must admit they should go to the next round in group C, could fight for 2nd place tho.

8. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

Sorry for derailing the thread earlier.

Good point. This also applies to guys like Gortat, Casspi (who has some decent guards) and to some extent, Belinelli.

Right now, Casspi is having a trouble creating his shot, and has a really bad time shooting the ball, but he's doing okay in rebounding and drawing fouls.

9. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

It's weird. Casspi is 0 for 7 from 2, but 2 for 4 from 3.
    Eliminate the mid-range jumper, Omri! Think of the advanced stats.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

OMG Asik scored!

11. HMMMHMM

Asik has been stellar this 4th quarter. Controlling the boards. A few nice passes. Finland getting pretty much nothing in the paint. Turkey making a run.

... and the coach takes him out. Desperate for offense, but still. :)

#51 HMMMHMM, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

13. Profondo Rosso

wow. what a fabulous choke job by Casspi and the rest of the israeli team. they're playing a team that no better than an average ymca team. Casspi himself looks even worse than i remembered.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks, Morey for signing sucky guys Casspi and Hedo!

Aside from Dwight Howard (who is himself questionable due to health), Morey hasn't landed even one useful free agent.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

What about Garcia?

16. ben_from_TLV

ben_from_TLV Member

Israel lost to GB
    Casspi was terrible and so the entire Israeli team.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not even good enough to Eurobasket.

18. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

Yeah and that's what not bad teams at all do - they lose to one of the worst teams in Europe - England :rolleyes:

Srsly dude, you should stop posting any insights about basketball, because you are dead wrong and blindly biased.

19. Normalus

Normalus Member

He's Dominican lol, i's even not Europe.

20. MazelTov

MazelTov Member

I have no words to describe this shameful and embarrassing lose,I'm frustrated that's all I can say,if this is how we are going to play in this tournament which better just pack our stuff and head back to Israel.
    Eliyahu was terrible,he couldn't connect most of his shots and basically looked distracted,he was about 30 percent from the line,so yeah he had a double-double but this just wasn't his game.
    Another player that was simply horrible was Omri Casspi,as much as I love this guy he just didn't look like an NBA player in this game,he missed ton of shots,he was pretty decent from the 3-point line,but as a player which is 50 percent from the 3-pt line can afford himself to be 50 percent and less from the line,he was also able to grab more than 10 rebounds and have a double-double but basically he was a disappointment.
    Yotam Halperin should've shot more shots,but it seems like he needs to regain his confidence back because he seemed to be very insecure,when he shot the ball he scored and it's a total shame he didn't shoot more in this game.
    The bright spot of this game in terms of scoring was Afik Nissim,he had a great game and scored in good percentages,did a good job coming off the bench.

In one point of this game Israel had this game in it's pocket,you just could seal the deal but our national team just fell apart in the last four minutes,and in OT they were horrendous.

I can't degrade the GB national team,but to sum up,in this game neither team was decent,it was a matter of who was worse,Great Britain was bad but somehow Israel managed to be even worse.
    That's all I got to say,I'm really frustrated and disappointed.