1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Eurobasket-2011] Donuts was cut from Lithuanian national team roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Aug 7, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Great shooters of screens late in games. Very different from run the clock down hand it to your star and watch him try to get fouled NBA ball.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Crazy that he missed the layup for the win. Incredible game, best commercial for European Ball you can get.

3. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Morey was quoted that many people overseas view Sergio Llull as better than Ricky Rubio. If he turns out to be a bust the Timberwolves 2009 draft was an epic fail. They drafted 3 point guards in the 1st round (Rubio, Flynn and Lawson) and traded the best one (Ty Lawson) on draft night.

4. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

FYI, most of the real basketball fans in the US are NCAA fans and not NBA fans.

5. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

There are pretty much dozens of point guards in Europe that are better than Rubio.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hey OHMSS, heres a question for ya. Do us all a favor and name one American player that you do like. Nawww, i'm gonna make it hard for you. Name two.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I don't watch Euro ball, but people say the same stuff about college bball, and I find what little college ball I've watched to just be holy crap terrible, and don't understand AT ALL where the fundamentals and tactics are in that level. There is far more iso, no one plays off ball, and no one seems to know how to actually shoot the ball or have a post game.

Now, Euro ball is probably different from NCAA, but I felt like venting on those who seem to think that some lower ( aka. more crappy) form of basketball is purer.

8. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

There are dozens of point guards in the NBA that are better than Rubio at this point.

9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I like plenty of American players.

Over the years, Magic, Bird, Drexler, Reggie Miller, T-Mac (before he totally lost his mind), Kobe (on the court only), etc.

There are plenty of American players that I like.

10. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

The NBA has by far and away the worst defense and the softest game play. In addition to having ridiculous reffing, foul rules, rules designed for the offense, etc.

The NBA is actually not even real basketball at all. It is a sports entertainment highlight show that is somewhere between WWE and sportive competition. It is more like a sports soap opera than a true competition.

Whether you consider that more exciting than real basketball is opinion and subjective. However, one way or another, you cannot call the NBA real basketball, because it is not.

It was much closer to true basketball at one time. But David Stern has slowly and steadily turned it into something that is largely simply manufactured entertainment.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Then he is perfect for the NBA...

12. Nook

Nook Member

I know... it is like watching minor league baseball.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry... but the NBA, and especially the Lakers do not view the Euroleague as real competition. Pretty sure the Lakers did not lose any sleep over it. The Lakers were not up the night before studying and preparing for the game. It is about as close to a "friendly" as you will get in the NBA.

The Lakers lost the game before to a terrible Wolves team and Bryant played coming off knee surgery, and Phil Jackson even said that he was not ready but played as a gesture of goodwill.

Whatever... you will believe what you want to.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

But that's the point, European Ball has way less iso, way more fundamentals and offball-movement, tons of screens, etc. It's how good team-oriented basketball is supposed to be. No super athletic dunking-machines tanking their way to the basket and getting ridiculous foul calls because they get slightly touched by a hand. No running down the half of the clock and trying to score ISO with fadeaways instead of finding your teammates. Peope say NBA is better basketball only because there are more highlight dunks, blocks, crossovers, etc.
    Please don't compare it to NCAA, NBA or say it's a lower form before watching it.

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Right. Every time Team USA or an NBA team loses to an international team it was because they did not care and the other team "gave everything they had".

Every time an NBA team or Team USA wins against it is because the international team was "vastly inferior".

I am not the one that believes whatever he wants.

16. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Joakim Noah puts to rest this nonsense fantasy make believe nonsense in the USA that the European players are "inferior" to NBA players.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/breves2011/20110906_163945_noah-teodosic-facon-nash-ou-kidd.html

"There are many players that I hadn't heard of....well it really is a beautiful thing to watch.

This point guard yesterday...Petrovic...is that his name, Petrovic? (the journalist corrects: no, it's Teodosic) Teodovic? (the journalist: Teodosic).

Well, this point guard, he's a top player à la Jason kidd or Steve Nash, a little slower maybe, but his passes, his vision, that's something I respect. I didn't know this player, he's a great player.

The plays they run, too, that's something you don't see often, even in the NBA you don't see such plays being run. That's a beauty to watch. Now that we've won the game I can say it, it is beautiful - during the game it was a pain in the ass (laughs). There are many players I didn't know and they really are the best players in the world."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course a few posters at clutchfans.net think they know better.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Great post man, I'm watchin all the NBA guys interviews and that'S what you always hear. The respect they have for the European guys and game is huge.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even know where to begin. It amazes me that someone could try and make an argument that basketball players in Europe that don't play in the NBA, are of equal talent, based on a quote from a known idiot, Joakim Noah.
    [​IMG]

Sure, there are great players that don't make the NBA, you can find them in the streets of Michigan and Harlem too. And then you have Juan Carlos Navarro, Vasilly Spanoodle and Terrence Morris.

It is even more amazing that you can hold this position after an incredibly flawed USA team completely beat up on all the EURO teams, while playing under EURO rules.

I can't wait to see Jan Vesely, "aka Blake Griffin" this year... :grin:

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think Navarro is a pretty decent player.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People say it is better, because the vast majority of all the best players, from every country, come to the NBA.

A league that stars Carlos Navarro is not very entertaining in comparison to what the NBA has to offer.

Hell, I'd rather watch Tony Allen. (And so would Memphis fans)