1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Euro Step vs. Taiwanese Dribble (Re: Bill Worrell)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Incredible how many Asian people will flock to see Lin at every arena and follow his every move on the internet, and then they become indignant to see him distinguished for his cultural heritage.

Get off of my homeboy Bill Worrell, and take a joke.

2. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Did Bill ever call Dream the Nigerian shake?
    I mean Taiwanese dribble just sounds stupid.
    I like Bill but he is just getting old.

3. ada32

ada32 Member

No, Texas three steps.:grin:

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bill and Bull make the same types of quips about Asik, Delfino, Budinger, Mutombo, etc... personal characteristics, race, nationality etc...

Don't be so selective.. and it's not mean spirited.

5. Viola

Viola Member

FORZA ITALIA!!! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  6. Viola

Viola Member

I don't understand so-called Mandarin spoken by people from outside of the province of Canton too. There are 1000(used to be 3000) tunes/languages in the mainland China. It's probably another tune of Mandarin or even another language. No surprises to me if she doesn't understand that. Can she understand Cantonese? Definitely not, I guess.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Hood Hop?

8. Viola

Viola Member

BTW, even in the province of Canton, I totally don't understand many kinds of tunes/languages which were used by ppl from the countrysides such as CHOW-CHOW-HUA.

There is a map of different tunes/languages in Canton province:
    IMG]http://library.gdit.edu.cn/lib/admin/Tpl/default/Public/js/kind/attached/20120629/20120629052013_31464.jpg[/IMG]

9. Viola

Viola Member

FIXed the link.

10. Viola

Viola Member

Damn..I don't know what was going on with that. Sorry.

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Hmmm, come to think of it the NFL had Christian Okoye "The Nigerian Nightmare". In fact both the NFL and MLB have their own version of the "Flyin' Hawaiian".

Other NBA nicknames that come to mind, Larry Bird "The Hick from French Lick", Daryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins, Marcin Gortat "The Polish Hammer"', even Joel Pryzbilla was called "The Vanilla Gorilla".

The false outrage reeks of people who need more in their life to keep them busy. Bill Worrell meant no disrespect.

12. sinobball

sinobball Member

You're over-exaggerating things. Taiwanese or whatever is just a name. Ang Lee has also been dubbed "The Pride of Taiwan" but he's the talk of Chinese cyberworld these days and people feel quite honored by him. Leehom Wang? Kris Philips? They are Taiwanese-Americans just like Lin, but because they always show up in big China events like 2008 Olympic celebrations, their nationality becomes unimportant as people readily identify with them.

Of course Jeremy Lin is different from the singers, for the simple reason his career is mainly in the US and not China. He has done nothing to support China, not playing in the NT is one thing. But the most important thing, IMO is language. So he did a tour in China the past summer and was on a bunch of TV shows and always spoke English even though he could understand the Chinese questions. Maybe for Taiwan it's slightly different but for Mainlanders it's a pretty big turn-off. Chinese people are somewhat racist as you know, but I think most of China will much more likely accept a 100% black person whose only language is Chinese than him. If Lin can speak or at least try, it will be completely different. Honestly it's not that hard to achieve Daniel Wu (another American)'s Mandarin proficiency.

13. Viola

Viola Member

Hah...

The truth is...

Chinese people are mainly brainwashed NATIONALIST.

14. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Well I don't like to touch on race issues but I can see how it can get annoying. We get it he's asian. No need to keep pointing it out.
    This is nothing compared to when he was in NY though :p

Which reminds me of the skit SNL did during Linsanity mocking those very same redundant references everyone kept making. Watch it if you haven't!
    <iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=4fa4j7vsuch8p7m80zjkfq" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    "Kobe's like, hey! I ordered fried chicken!" :p

1 person likes this.
  15. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

lolol Im watching the SNL skit again and cracking up.
    Guys please watch it if you haven't. I totally forgot about the part when they show an interview of Jeremy's and they dubbed it to some guy in heavy Chinese accent. :p

16. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Had Bill Worrell called it the "Chinese dribble", there'd probably be a lot more upset about it.

17. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

18. Donatello

Donatello Member

Taiwanese dribble sounds like a traveling violation.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

It seems Lin hasn't got his lift fully back either.

20. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Maybe Bill's just a stupid f.uck. I don't know.