1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Euro Step vs. Taiwanese Dribble (Re: Bill Worrell)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

You have got this thing completely twisted. This is not about sensitivity of Lin or people on the board. What this is about is very simple. When you see Lin, do you see him as an American or a Taiwanese? When Bill saw him, did he see Lin and accept Lin as American? Or was the first thing that came to his mind that Lin was Taiwanese?

2. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

Shang Hai Shake - Dream Shake

3. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

:rolleyes: Because Lin is Taiwanese, stop trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

If he copied Tim Hardaway's move, it would be the 'Jew-tep Two-step'. I guess this is double funny cause tep is a Jewish fraternity. :grin:

5. cbk41

cbk41 Member

You can't promote Lin as east-Asian phenomenon in the NBA and then crucify an announcer for coming up with a pseudo-moniker that uses said heritage as the base.

If everyone saw Lin purely as an American, Linsanity wouldn't of reached the prime-time status that it did. Sure, he played lights-out for a no-name player for a good stretch, but there have been a fair amount of players who have had some similar(if not as prolific, or in New York) runs and their 5 minute mention on the local sports channel couldn't hold a candle to what Linsanity was.

As someone who is a close friend with some people in sports broadcasting, it isn't always easy to go out there night, after night, after night and do commentary on the same team without getting a little bored every now and then. You can tell when they need to have a little fun and need to mix it up. Perhaps not the most politically correct choice, but what's done is done.

I saw that you were calling some other members idealist, but I believe it to be on the upper echelon of idealism if one is to embrace Linsanity, yet not be allowed to differentiate Lin's heritage.

6. just a word

just a word Member

Basically this. Though I come from Chinese descent, I consider myself American first because I grew up here; and it's uncomfortable and disconcerting when you get the question, "so where are you from?" And don't accept it when you answer with your hometown, as if you're not allowed to be American first.

If someone's of Polish or German or Nigerian or South African descent, people never ask them that, and never insist/act like they're lying somehow when they answer that they consider themselves American.

So what gives? Because it's an entirely different sort of feeling when people are actually trying to learn about you and understand your family history, to when they're basically saying you're not considered an American like them.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one complains about Rocky being called the Italian Stallion? How come he's not the Italian American Stallion?

8. cbk41

cbk41 Member

If I happen to make friends with someone speaking with a Polish, German, or South African accent, one of the first things I will ask is where their family is from. I love culture, and love learning about the world. Most people are happily surprised when I know my geography and culture.

I dated a Taiwanese girls and she was elated that I actually knew how different it was from the mainland. I don't go randomly go and point and people in my head "Amercan, American, not American, etc". I see people as people and everyone is here for different reasons.

9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Ah honestly, who the **** cares? I am Asian but born in Australia, I get the question all the time, I don't even think about it and always respond with "my parents are from X but I was born in Y, then I move on because it is not a big deal.

It is not a big deal because you make it a big deal.

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

My Asianess ruined that last sentence.

11. just a word

just a word Member

Like I said, it's a much different feeling from when someone is genuinely interested versus when someone is using it to 'distance' or to challenge.

If you in particular is taking this thread as an attack, it's probably misfounded/misdirected. It's not directed towards you.

12. sinobball

sinobball Member

Are you Chinese/Taiwanese? Why you think it's disrespectful?

13. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I'm a Canadian of Chinese descent. Never lived in China or Taiwan. My mom grew up in Singapore. I call myself Chinese & Canadian & Chinese-Canadian depending on the context of the conversation.

As I said in my earlier post, calling someone what they're not is disrespectful:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7520707&postcount=95

I have Taiwanese friends and I have Chinese friends. The Taiwanese distinguish themselves from the Chinese and vice versa. My Taiwanese friend claim she doesn't understand Mandarin spoken by people from mainland China. I was like WTH it's your mother tongue with a different accent. It's not my first not even my second language and I understand more than she does.

On some mainland China discussion board they support Yi JianLian but don't support Lin because the Taiwanese claim that Lin is "The Pride of Taiwan", although Lin wasn't born there and never lived in Taiwan. When he visited Taiwan in the summer, the mayor of Taipei asked him to represent Taipei in some basketball game. I was like WTF. If Lin is identified as a Taiwanese, he's losing the whole Chinese market :p

So you see how sensitive this thing can be.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly there is no intent to offend in any of this stuff. People are being way too sensitive.

So Lin is Taiwanese in decent, but an American just like most of us here. Great. So what. Taiwanese dribble isn't meant to diminish him in any way. No more so than the "Italian Stallion" or whatever.

Don't create mountains out of mo-hills. There are more important battles...real battles in race relations - to fight. Not nicknames of moves that are meant to be respectful but interpreted as not.

15. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Anyway, here's the crossover:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wzCv39z78Vc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. il italiano

il italiano Member

Both.

17. il italiano

il italiano Member

This exactly. i ask all my friends whether they are white, black, indian, asian, etc what their heritage is. Its important to embrace all the different cultures we americans come from because that is what truly makes us unique as Americans.

18. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I think what people should concentrate on ... is that the Euro Step shows Lin is getting very close to full recovery in his knee.

What Morey said regarding Lin's injury before is that he's got his acceleration back, but not his deceleration. You need to decelerate and change direction for the Euro Step. So it shows Lin is getting more confident on his knee to do that in a game, going from full-court pace.

19. amaru

amaru Member

Not the same thing.....your not very familiar with the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade are you?

20. amaru

amaru Member

You are correct......however our connection (meaning descendants of the Maafa) is much more recent than a causasian person for example. Some of us are only 3 to 4 generations removed from the motherland.