1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Euro league min contract?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ThatBoyNick, Dec 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You played in the french, greek, spanish and italian leagues?? and your just now bringing this up? after you brought up that u had friends in the leagues??.... Look idk what the hell is up with all this conflict all i wanna know is if there is a minimum contract in the spanish league and if there is one how much is it worth.

2. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

In ACB from how it was from my own knowledge.

Minimum contract amount was 20,000 euros gross income (after taxes) (it's like $26,000 US dollars with current exchange rate). This was paid at amount of 2,000 euros per month, on a 10 month pay period.

This was considered "base salary".

Then in addition to this, even in the smaller clubs (clubs that are just playing in ACB and not Euroleague/Eurocup for example).........each player would have an allotment per month for apartment, car, utility bills, and so forth, which the club would pay for.

Even in small ACB clubs this would come to about 1,600 euros a month income. Which is 2,100 US dollars a month in income. There are no taxes taken out of this income. So this is net money to the players to cover for their apartment, their rental car, their electric bill, cable bill and things like that.

All in all, if you tried to make it out to a net, it would be like $2,600 dollars a month in salary gross. The taxes can be either 40% or 15%, depending on which club you play for in Spain, or if you play for a big club, the taxes are paid for by the club and the player keeps all the money.

But, in a small club, which is where the minimum salary could be.......then it would be taxed. 40% of 15% depending on the club.

Then you would get about $1,600 dollars a month in money (that would NOT be taxed) to pay for your apartment, car, bills, while you would be playing with the club - 10 months time is usual for a full time contract.

And the clubs will provide for the meals, hotels, and travel expenses. if you add it all up, figure the costs, the taxes, the benefits, then it's something like $65k - $70k a year in US dollars. Of course, right now the euro is much lower against the US dollar than normal. Usually, the euro is worth more. On average it's about 1.4 to 1, so actually on average, over the course of a season, it would actually be a bit more than that.

But keep in mind, this is for YOUNG European players, on their FIRST contract. Very few players make a salary at the minimum. It is not like the NBA where a lot are on a minimum contract. Instead, few players are on a minimum.

Your individual situation would determine what your market value is. Like your age, your nationality, your experience, what teams would be willing to sign you, etc.

Basically, say for example, if you are American, you either will not get a contract, or if you do, it would be for quite a lot more money than the minimum.

Are you American?

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I am american...well sorta, half white. Was born here in Houston, but my mother is from spain. I want to play college ball and then go to the euro league and hopefully play in spain. So thats pretty much why i was asking these questions.

4. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Yes, that's what I said - minimum budget cap amount. But don't mix budget with team salary. IT IS NOT THE SAME!! Budget - is amount of money club could posses within the year and consists of investments from owners, sponsors and etc. While main part of the budget goes to salary, part of it covers travelling expenses, arena rent, management office and etc.

Furthermore, even if budget would amount to team salary. It does not specify the minimum for the 1 exact player.

If you look at the football leagues in Europe. Spanish league is the only major league in Europe that has minimum salary requirements for its players. Why would be such a difference in basketball?

Besides, in Lithuania there was a minimum salary requirement untill year 1998 and it was step forward taken from practices of other countries. It alllowed teams to have young prospects on their roster.

PS. this whole discussion is getting to a ridiculous point.One thing, Noone has any proofs (official reglaments to show). Another thing, it really does not matter much. Clubs still pay higher salaries in comparison to a "supposed minimum if that would exist".

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There are no minimum salaries. You are simply lying and making stuff up.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Are you saying the OHMMS may be... dare I say it... UNTRUSTWORTHY?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I would ditch that dream. Most Spanish basketball players are forced to supplement their meager income by moonlighting in pig slaughterhouses and industrial jamon curing factories - it is smelly,dirty dangerous work. Even waiting tables at an Applebee's is a more soothing career choice.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You knew he was lying the moment he said "I have several friends".....yeah...wtf ever.

DD

1 person likes this.
  9. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Oh OK. Well if your mother is from Spain then you can get counted as a local player. And if you play Division I basketball (if you have a good career) then you can get a contract in Spain rather easily since you would have a Spanish passport.

You might have to work your way up from LEB to start. That's the second division in Spain (like Spain's version of the D-League if you will). But if you played well for 2-3 years you can move up.

Basically, eventually any really good Spanish player can end up in clubs like Bilbao, Valencia, Real Madrid, Baskonia, Barca, Malaga...where you could stand to make a lot of money.

But even in the smaller clubs you could make quite a lot. My personal favorite cities in Spain are Malaga and Barcelona.

10. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I never said anything about a minimum team salary rule. I said there are in fact rules for minimum team budget, which there are.

11. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Then how come every team in BBL has to have a set amount of money they spend on their team to be allowed to register for the league? Explain it then.

12. sinobball

sinobball Member

OHMSS, how much can you make as a local player in LEB?

Also what's the disparity between what a local and an import makes in Spain?

13. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

And what is a topic of a thread? not MINIMUM SALARY? I made a comment that clubs have minimum budget requirements but this is not exact thing as a minimum salary. You corrected me saying there is indeed a minimum salary. But now you say u never made that post claliming u said only about budgets?

PS. to conclude: there are minimum budgets, there are no minum salary for 1 ecaxt player except in Spain (in most of countries minimum salary should correspond to local government rules).

14. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Think about it.. Kobe was rumored to get 50 million dollar contract this year with a team.

15. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Local players can make a lot in LEB. I am sure there are some guys that can make 150,000-300,000 euros base salary in some of those clubs.

I mean I look at a guy like Paolo Quinteros who was playing a lot of years in LEB. I am sure he made a big salary.

The disparity between a local and an import is just based on your own situation. There is really no difference for most of the players. Just for the very young European players, on their first contract, that basically are just practice squad players. They will make less money than American players, for the obvious reason that an American player that is signed would not have actually been signed unless he was at least somewhat ready to play - at least in some way.

So of course, a young practice squad player, will make less.

16. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Look man, there are rules for minimum salary. I'm not arguing anymore over this. This is getting stupid.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That doesn't mean that there is a minimum salary. They could spend 800 euros a month on player X. Or 300. Or 30,000. Or 300,000. Whatever is negotiated with player X.

Do you understand that?

This page contains all the rules for the BBL.

http://www.beko-bbl.de/inside/regelwerk.html

(By the way, I know the CEO of the BBL as well.)

The relevant part is the "Lizenzstatut". It neither mentions a set amount of money they spend on their team nor a minimum salary. The only thing it mentions is that a team has to have a planned revenue of at least € 1,000,000.

Quite frankly, you seem to have some cognitive disorder.

Have a nice day.

18. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

There IS minimum salary rules in most of those leagues. And people claiming otherwise are wrong.

have a nice day and welcome to my ignore list.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

There is no minimum salary in the BBL, no matter how many times you repeat it (without being able to back it up with facts).

You keep spreading misinformation and insisting that your - incorrect - opinions are facts. There is something pathological to your behavior on here.

20. sinobball

sinobball Member

That's a lot of money. Does this only apply to LEB Gold or to all 3 divisions? How big is attendance in the league? Are the teams in the same markets as ACB teams? I mean they should be, right, Spain isn't a big country.