1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eternity and the Concept of Infinity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DudeWah, Aug 29, 2014.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I had a weird thought about this the other day. If there is no limit on time then there is no limit on possibilities. So there would be an infinite amount of things happening over an infinite time.

Not sure if I believe in that. But you know.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think one of the problems here is people thinking of themselves as a fixed point, or even themselves as a completely integrated indivisible unit.

The metaphor here would be the earth. Every year there is an autumn. Things die back. Then every year there is a spring, which comes with an explosion of new growth. This happens over and over. After 100,000 or 1,000,000 cycles, is it still the same place?

After enough time has passed, with the weather, and tectonics, and so on it would essentially be unrecognizable.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yeah but "you" is your self-aware consciousness. When you are star stuff you aren't "you"
    If you live infinite lives with no memory, "you" are not living them. If you are another you in another place, time or dimension, you are not really you.

So why even entertain that as a possibility since it is an unprovable concept? Why don't humans accept that this as their sum and total existence?

#43 Dubious, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"You" as an integrated, inseparable, unified thing is not a real thing. It is slight of hand by your brain.

Start with this book:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness_Explained

Also, this, besides being a really good book, will help disabuse you of the idea of a little you inside your head, riding the reigns of your brain:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Mistook_His_Wife_for_a_Hat

#44 Ottomaton, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    B-Bob likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

The micro-universe is strikingly similar to the macro-universe. In other words, what we see through a telescope is similar to what we see through a microscope. Perhaps the two universes are an endless loop and somehow merge into each other.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If I take you and erase all of your memories, are you still you? Yes of course. No, you have lost all of your memory and is now a different you? Both answer seems correct. Expand that over (assume possible) rebirths with no memory intact. Are you still you? I think both answers still seems correct.

Every single moment, you have new memories and your old memories are degrading and changing... so every single moment, the old "you" pass away and a new "you" arises. We already live countless rebirth of "you"!

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Even being aware of all these concepts, it's still a trip considering how "normal" time, memory, and the existence of self feels.

I could consider sleep a coma-like state where the "you" dies every time one closes his eyes.

Can you imagine a life totally changed from the inside in one day? Outside of clinical insanity, that might feel impossible among us who suffers from first world problems, but it's not an uncommon question either.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yep. Very similar:

[​IMG]

9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Existence & nothingness. Opposites sides of the spectrum that are equally frightening. Can't think of anything more monumentally baffling, maybe black holes.

[​IMG]

-Dr Manhattan

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even more fundamentally weird that time and space is - where did the laws of physics come from?

If you think everything came from nothingness. Then wrap your noodle around what nothingness is like. Nothingness has no dimensions. No where, no time, no frame of reference. It is infinitely big and infinitely small at the same time. If everything spontaneous came to being out of an act of random potential, for no reason. That's the only explanation that we can say makes any sense that gets us away from the paradox of time having a beginning but what was before time.

But can we really comprehend nothingness?

11. bongman

bongman Member

It is one of those concepts that is very difficult to wrap our head around just like the size of the universe.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Let's be honest here, life is most likely a computer simulation, am I right or what.

13. bongman

bongman Member

[​IMG]

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I just want to tell you that I’ve been having some insane existential depression lately. So I went back and read this thread again. Your posts legitimately made me feel so much better. Thanks for sharing your thoughts years ago.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Infinity isn't scary. It's just an idea like any other. Mathematicians break infinity down into two categories even. Listable and unlistable.

Listable would be the natural numbers going from 0,1,2,3,4,5,.... all the way down to infinity. Unlistable as an example would be every single number between 0 and 1. For example, 0, 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001 all the way down to infinity. Since you can always add another number after any decimal place, it's an unlistable amount of infinite sums. Here's a good lecture on Georg Cantor. He dedicated a lot of his study towards infinity. In his era, mathematicians looked down on him for studying the idea of infinite sums and he was ridiculed for it. Ended up going to an insane asylum as well. Interesting stuff.

Physics says the infinite sum of all natural numbers of -1/12.

#55 London'sBurning, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017