1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPNU Draft Combine (Draft Prospects Post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bbllr3431, May 19, 2011.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, not a whole lot. I think that there is more depth with foreign bigs than usual, but I also think that much of that is due to this being the weakest draft since Mike Miller was a lottery pick.

I think that Kawhi Leonard can be a good starter potentially. Singleton and Harris also could be good pro's.

Most of the other interesting players are in the top 3-4 of the draft, or I have not seen enough of them (Kanter).

My point is that no one discussed Brooks until Ford writes about him, and now his name is on the radio, message boards, etc..... Brooks may be a good pro (in the Cuttino Mobley upside mold), but I have a sneaking suspicion that many people are concluding that based on Chad Ford's assessment, and he is the WRONG person to rely on.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hmmmm....listen to Chad Ford or listen to Nook? Ford every time. Besides Nook, have you seen any video of this kids excellent shooting?

3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Have you seen the kid play? Not just video? I don't have an opinion, just trying to figure out the different between a senior, ball-dominant shooter who played at a smaller college and how he is different to someone like Jermaine Taylor.

Oh and "Marshon Brooks apparently rubbed some people the wrong way by talking about himself in 3rd person the entire interview" - DX Twitter

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Actually, over the past week i have watched a couple of his games on youtube. I saw that he moves well without the ball. He actually passes the ball unlike Taylor in his 1st season. He has a very good 3 pt. shot and from what i saw was not a ball dominant player. Although he does have good handles. Taylor was more athletic. Brooks is way more smooth with the ball in his hands than Taylor was. Brooks could stand to work more on his decision making, but that will come in time. Next to a pass 1st PG, he would be deadly.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. Nook

Nook Member

How about listen to neither and form your own opinion, not be spoon fed what someone with no connection to NBA teams thinks.

Brooks is the same player he was a month ago, the ONLY difference is that Chad Ford wrote a gushing article about him, and quoted Grover comparing him to Kobe.

He may prove to be a good NBA player (he was a good college player), but the sudden hype is silly..

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

doesn't work for me... I keep getting redirected to the "console"... You know how to fix it?

8. Commodore

from the console click the Replay tab and it should be there

it opens up a new window with the ESPN 3 video player, maybe you have popups disabled

9. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

I haven't seen Taylor's numbers in college but Brooks, while being one of the only options on that Providence team, had pretty good efficiency. Even in his breakout games, like the one against Notre Dame, he missed like 7 shots otoh. I take back what I said about Noguiera. He's intriguing based on size alone but what the posters said about Tyler I agree with. I would love to get that kid with the 2nd rounder and see what hes got in the summer league. Tyler has Johnsons silky smooth midrange jumper. However, the kid is a leaper. He seems like a good weakside helper but he's sooooo unknown.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is who i consider to be a 2nd round sleeper. Compared to Shane Battier as far as defense and preparation.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Uh6sbJD3lbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

And now....

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qm-G0z3evJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If you're speaking on Tyler only, I'd agree with you and he could be there at 38 in the 2nd round. But Chris Singleton has been slotted as high as 14 at our pick on some boards. Likely he would only be a role player or more athletic Shane Battier with his defense and scrappiness but Josh Shelby will NOT fall out of the 1st round. He has the potential to be a star and skillset to dominate in the league.

If all options of big men are taken by pick 23 I wouldn't put Shelby as a huge/bad gamble by Morey and Co.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vVzNMIz63yU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds like he has learned and matured because of his overseas experience.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Maybe it's just me, but this years interviews sound way more professional than last years.

16. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

#23 pick-Jordan Hamilton, Marshon Brooks, Darius Morris, Keith Benson, Jeremy Tyler, or the big dude rebounder from Morehead st.

I'm not on the up and up with draft stock, but I'd be cool with any of those players with the #23 pick.

17. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

If Tyler a 2nd round guy, then that would be SWEET at #38 (imo).

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

How is Josh Selby as a defender?

More and more I read up on guys in the draft, the more I get excited. Their are alot of under the radar gems.

I like Reggie Jackson at #23, compared to Westbrook but way ahead of him in terms of coming into the NBA.

Selby at #38 would rule.

19. Commodore

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArzteLRJnTSRWNAk89H7Gqe8vLYF?slug=ycn-8514315

Tallest player at the combine. Draft Express currently has him going in the 2nd round at pick #37 (we have #38 from the Clips).

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-uFr5yIOc2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Landry92

Landry92 Member

There seems to be a general consensus between those 4 guys sitting Chad Ford Tom Penn and Fran whatever his second name is, that if surge Ibaka was in this year's draft he would've been clear No 1 ahead of Irving, Williams and Kanter.

And they continued that if he was in last year's draft he would've been ahead Of Wall and Cousins. This goes to shows how much of a bust that combine panel is, they might be the biggest bust in this year's draft, and Chad Ford has to be the worst writer on ESPN.