1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's biased highlights

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Another Brother, Nov 5, 2003.

1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

SC is to damn raciest against over seas players IMO

2. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

to espn
    Yao=old and busted
    Lebron= new hotness

Shirley, i don't care, yao is a players player, not a fan's player, he's not aiming to please the crowd, he's aiming to win (although last night was suspect). yeah, espn may be racist and are more inclined to show an tall asian guy getting dunked on, but its yao's job to just do his best and beat them by simply winning. its okay if lebron gets all the highlights, i dont care, but the real scoreboard between him and yao is 0-3 to 3-1.

3. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

Even though the Rockets beat the Nets, all the highlights were for the Nets. A couple of Rocket highlights from the 4th quarter but thats it. Its something about Houston. But they'll all up on our nutz when the Superbowl comes to H-town.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Larry Smith

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

ESPN is trying to make money, so they show what the majority of fans want to see- spectaculer dunks, buzzer-beating shots, etc. nobody wants "highlights" of someone boxing their man out. this is just reality. it is also a reality that ESPN has shown many, many highlights of ming. you are just flat out wrong. not one highlight in two years? don't fall so blindly in love with your opinions all the time.

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

It is a traditional fun for American fans happy to bash Chinese, Yao, and even 'team China', why ESPN not?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Glad someone brought this up. I was not able to watch the game so I wanted to see the highlights on ESPN. While showing the highlight package they showed a TON of NETS highlights, fast breaks and such. Probably about 7 plays. And then said, the Rockets came back, showed like 3 highlights and that was it. Ridiculous! You would have thought the Nets would have won the game.

The problem was that the highlights just accentuated the "story line" of what they were trying to portray in that package which was that Kidd scored a lot of points initially and then passed a lot later in the game. So instead of just giving us HIGHLIGHTS they cut and paste the highlights that fit their STORY LINE for the game and in doing so it really kills a lot of good stuff and in this case many of the Rockets great plays to win the game. Just stupid!

8. thegary

last time i checked the nets made it to the finals the last two years, have one of the most popular players in the league, and are located in the biggest media market in the world. figure it out folks, houston is not the center of the universe.

9. mulletman

mulletman Member

if youve been a rockets fan for years, youre used to rockets players getting slighted. hakeem never got the publicity others did.

that stupid highlight was even on kj's shoe commercial. but you never repeatedly saw the replay where hakeem ran down kj from behind and blocked his shot as he was going for a layup. if shaq had done the same thing, you would never see the end of it

10. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

I watched the highlights last night too. And like some say, you would think the nets won the game by all the highlights played for them, then at the end they gave Houston a few highlights and showed the final score. Although I think they did a poor job in setting up the highlight reel for that game. It had nothing to do with Racisim. Yao Ming is not the only person who didnt get a highlight shown. :rolleyes:

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Last time I checked it was the Rockets that WON the game. I think it makes common sense that the winning team have equal or greater highlights in the package. Has nothing to do with Houston being the "center of the universe" but more what "makes sense."

12. thegary

look, i'm saying it's a bigger deal that the nets lost rather than the rockets won because the nets have earned a place among the league's elite. we've been stuck in the lottery, remember? we will get our due when we deserve it.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

ESPN has always been biased...Hell, Charles Barkley says ESPN sucks because it doesn't tell the whole story...

I agree, Yao should have been a top ten...

14. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you said it

15. JUNIOR34

JUNIOR34 Member

YOU aint freakin lying ,dam he cant even body up on a guy cuz the refs call a foul.If it was shaq. they wouldnt call a foul that suks!:(

16. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

How many times have you seen KJ's dunk on Hakeem in the '94 playoff run against the Suns? I got tired of seeing that one, oh, after the first 50 times.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay, if you want to say they are biased toward their market, that's fine, but to say their racists is stupid. ESPN isn't owned by blacks.

18. haven

haven Member

Actually, last year ESPN showed off a lot of Yao's better passes.

Creativity and good passing from a guy who's 7'5 is impressive. Dunking over someone isn't. And it looks even less impressive, because Yao elevates... well, not all that much.

I'll agree that there's possibly an anti-Rockets bias on ESPN. I'll agree that many members of the NBA establishment don't like Yao.

But Sportscenter seems pretty favorably to Yao - sometimes at the expense of our guards. Anybody else remember their "why aren't they passing to Yao" highlights last year?

Whether you liked those or not... sportscenter isn't anti-Yao.

19. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I can't remember if it was Sports Center or Fast Break, but they showed Yao Ming's baseline dunk on Horry/Rose vs San Antonio, his baseline dunk against Chicago (or Memphis, I can't remember), and used these two to set up the highlight of his baseline jam against New Jersey. They said "Notice a pattern?" after showing the highlights, and remarked that someone should start watching tapes of Yao Ming.

It's still hard to believe he's that quick. He's leaving players behind that are substantially smaller (and presumably much quicker).

20. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

"Highlights" are just that the "High" points of the game. Yao didn't dunk on Jason Collins or the Red Headed guy he dunked on ZO and that was a turning point in the game.

"Yao gets the ball on the baseline, quick spin move and WHAM on Zo, the Shanghi Shark says welcome back to the NBA"

How hard would that have been?