1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Zone Coming To H-Town

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by typhoon, Oct 27, 2003.

1. typhoon

typhoon Member

ESPN Zone kicks around plan to enter Houston retail scene

Allison Wollam
    Houston Business Journal

Sports-themed restaurant chain ESPN Zone may score a spot in the Houston market.

Retail sources say the eatery is considering a plan to touch down in the revitalized Park Shops in downtown Houston.

Sandra Porter, a spokeswoman for Fort Worth-based Crescent Real Estate Equities, which owns the Park Shops mall, says the company doesn't comment on rumored or potential leases.

"We only discuss finalized leases," says Porter. "I'm unable to confirm or deny at this time."

John Pierce, a spokesman for ESPN Zone, says any talk about the restaurant setting up shop in Houston is premature.

ESPN Zone locations, which span between 28,000 square feet and 47,000 square feet, include a restaurant and retail store. The ESPN Zone chain was developed by Burbank, Calif.-based Disney Regional Entertainment, in conjunction with ESPN.

The first ESPN Zone opened in Baltimore in 1998. Since then, others have opened in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, New York City, Washington, D.C., and Anaheim, Calif.

Jeff Kaplan, a local retail broker with The Weitzman Group, says it makes sense for retail concepts such as ESPN Zone to consider downtown Houston based on the heavy amount of activity currently taking place in the city's core.

The 21-year-old Park Shops complex -- which is undergoing a major renovation -- is positioned near the soon-to-open 1,200-room Hilton of the Americas Hotel, the recently opened Toyota Center and the expanding George R. Brown Convention Center.

"If the convention center business takes off, downtown would be a natural position for any nationally themed concept because that's where the majority of the tourists and business travelers would be centered," Kaplan says.

He says Houston might appear particularly attractive to ESPN Zone because the city has made a commitment to sports with three new arenas -- Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park and Reliant Arena. Kaplan points out that a location in the Park Shops would position ESPN Zone in close proximity to both Minute Maid Park and Toyota Center.

"ESPN Zone also makes a lot of sense because Houston does not currently have a major sports bar downtown," he says.

2. SLA

SLA Member

Great!

I wanted one!

It's a pretty huge "zone".

The only problem is Houston is so big...and everything is so spread out...we need like one in each section of the Houston metropolitan area!

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Eh, that place is OK. Nothing great, at least the one in Vegas isn't.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I enjoy the one in DC occasionally.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I've been to the ones in NY and Baltimore (that one several time). I like them. It's a recognizable name that tourists can recognize.

I hold the record for most hits in the baseball batting cage in Baltimore. Or at least I did when I left the place over the summer.

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

They said the same thing about Planet Hollywood.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That's a fair point. I'm pleased though that we're getting good development such as this in downtown Houston. I've enjoyed watching it come back to life over the past 4 years.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Just as long as they don't charge $20 to park I'm ok with it. :)

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

About damn time. We need touristy stuff like this in Houston. Not to mention that it's a cool place to witness hopeful future playoff runs for the Rockets.

10. typhoon

typhoon Member

After 6pm and on weekends, parking on the street downtown at a meter is FREE!

11. drapg

drapg Member

I am SO all over this.

Never been; always wanted to.

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

this would go great in the spot that houses the downtown AQUARIUM!!!

13. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Damn, Stack24! Are you gonna take that?

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

in the Park Shops though? That place is deader than a morgue!! ESPN Sports Zone won't be able to bring life to that place at all.

15. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

you do realize that the park shops are undergoing a complete renovation to turn the mall inside out and have street exposure for the first time, right?. the mall will be nothing like it was before, and could be a great success in downtown. it is a perfect place for espnzone, imo.

16. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!

I work in the Park Shops Mall office building. :D

It makes total sense, right by the Toyota Center. Downtown is really turning around, very nice. I hope they build it.

I've been to the ESPN Zone in Chicago, they are not bad, kinda Hard Rockish though. Like Biggiestuff said, that mall is kinda dead besides lunch time, they are really redoing the place though. The whole corner on the 1221 Lamar @ Caroline side is being remodeled.

It's gonna be nice. They wanna rake in that Superbowl cash.

17. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Wasn't there some talk about Nike Town coming to Htown a couple of years ago? Now THAT would be great.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I am excited about the rejunevation of downtown. It's awesome that the life is bring brought back into downtown.

Sounds good to me.

19. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Their novelty is wearing off, but I predicted this would happen, just got the time wrong.

20. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Oh, and I'm sure you guys like going to Reliant Arena.