1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN--Wizards make cap room disappear

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think you misunderstood how I see them able to actually take on salary by moving Gasol.

A team over the cap trading a player can take back 125%+100k of the players salary on the way out.

In the case of Gasol - thats $19m in salary but $23.85m in salary they can take back in that particular trade.

After taking in Scola they still have a total of $14.45M they can take in salary.

Involve the right team or teams and they can get better.

Like I said , the original post was simply the baseline for the deal - finding the rest of the details .... that would take more wheeling and dealing.

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Can someone answer this?

What happens if Wall decides he doesn't care about money in 2014 and doesn't want to re-sign with the Wizards. Can he skip a few months of that season and sign with someone else? How long is he a restricted free agent until he is a free agent?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not sure a team over the salary tax (and luxury line) can "shoehorn up" in the new CBA. I know they can't in a couple of years but not sure if that part has kicked in. Trade rules for teams over the cap get progressively very nasty.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Watch them have a better record than the Rockets.....sigh.

DD

5. cod

cod Member

The best he can do without asking for a trade is to sign a 1 year qualifying offer from the Wizards and become an unrestricted free agent the following free agency.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I read that part of it on Wikipedia recently - The trade rules dont change , meaning the 125%+100k still applies , the luxury tax penalty just escalates starting at dollar for dollar going up to something like 5-1.

Found the article - Link Here - two quotes from and a list of the tax penalties for various levels.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not to derail the thread but just for kicks , thought I'd add this - from the above link.

How bad was Isiah Thomas as a GM ?!?

Link

Really makes you appreciate DM.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Wall would actually make Ariza and Okafor better...not a bad trade for the wiz...

9. what

what Member

This was a terrible trade for the wizards. First of all, anyone that believes that Ariza is an upgrade to Singleton, just isn't seeing the potential in that kid. Singleton is a cheaper Ariza.

What is he going to do with Seraphin and Vesely? Both players show tremendous potential for a scrub like Okafor.

With a lineup like Okafor and Nene, teams are going to abuse them with pnr. Okafor's fat ass ain't going to guard nobody that don't run into him under the basket.

There best lineup, in my opinion is:

Nene
    Seraphin
    Kidd-gilcrest
    Singleton
    Wall

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

That may be true, but they needed more old-heads in the locker room.

11. cod

cod Member

If you watched the Wizards this season you'd know Singleton was a disappointment on his way to being a bust.

12. what

what Member

Nobody is a bust in a rookie year. The kid is a defensive monster. But he needs to get more experience. I expect a BIG jump in production this year.

That also goes for Vesely and Seraphin. Both players I expect to make jumps next season.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I agree that nobody is a bust in their rookie year, but I also didn't see much to lead me to believe Singleton had a lot of potential. Same goes for Vesely. He just looks so awkward out there, that sometimes even when he makes a good play it almost looks like an accident.

Seraphin, on the other hand, I was very impressed with last seasons, and I'm pretty sure the Wizards are very high on him too, so I don't think they plan on stunting his development.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

what, I see where you're at, we've all been there. Thinking about potential. Overvaluing players and future possibilities with guys because of their "upside". I suffered through this in the Francis era. Francis, Mobley, Taylor, Cato... many all these guys were just young and ready to bust out. Les was sure fooled, too.

You have to be honest. He didn't say Singleton was a bust, just that he was on his way to being a bust after a disappointing rookie campaign. That much is clearly true. Vesley was equally disappointing, but at least improved. I can see him improving, but who knows how much.

Is Ariza good? Well, not really, though he played better than Singleton, is a veteran, has experience and can d-up.

Is Okafor overpaid? Yes, and there are healthy concerns. But when healthy, and combined with Nene, the Wizards do become a very stout defensive team.

They need to find some offense, but their team is vastly improved on the court, even though much worse from a financial perspective. But it's not as if FA's were lining up to play in DC.