1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Williams' firing side chat? Astros set meeting

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dEVIL, Jul 13, 2004.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

By the way, Gammons said that it will most likely be Garner as the replacement.

He said that he doubts the Mets would let Baylor go due to the hot streak they are on right now.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

The Mets have already said they would let Don Baylor go.

But i agree its gonna be Phil Garner. I think that decision has already been made

3. rezdawg

I believe the Mets just allowed Baylor to talk to the Astros.

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

One sourpuss Yankee down, one to go :)

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Jimy looked horrible at the game tonight. Bush league for idiots to boo him.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Could the Mets, in good conscience, deny Baylor a managwerial opportunity?

7. Buck Turgidson

Phil Garner has never, ever, shown the acumen to succeed as a MLB manager. His handling of pitchers was absolutely atrocious at both of his gigs, and he was roundly critisized by "sources in the clubhouse". One honest question, what has Garner been doing since he was fired by Los Tigres?

Baylor got to manage in Colorado ("I have an idea, let's play baseball 1 mile above sea level." "Baseball 1 mile above sea level, brilliant!"), and did as good a job , if not better, as could be expected. His Cub teams were atrocious - he had Sammy, Lieber, McGriff & a bunch of not much else. By all accounts he's one of the best guys out there as far as handling a clubhouse & relating to players, his strategy is well-thought-out, if not always conventional (but armchair managers & talk radio morons would second guess the ghost of Casey Stengel if the got the chance).

Unless, ala McKeon, they can coax Sparky Anderson out of retirement for 3 months...

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Outstanding.

9. Buck Turgidson

"Fans".

Yeah right.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just like the one that posted right above you.

It takes real men to kick a man when he's down. :rolleyes:

11. Smokey

I'm sure it can be argued he deserved better than to be booed at the all-star game at his home park in his last appearance in an Astros uniform, but you know what, people pay for tickets and can voice their displeasure. It's not like Jimy's a volunteer or a college kid.

12. Buck Turgidson

And their ignorance.

13. rezdawg

Fans booing Jimy was wrong. I dont like the guy as the Astros manager, but come on...that was just horrible. I was embarassed watching that.

14. Smokey

I don't think Jimy got booed because fans feel he is solely responsible for the team's underachievement. I think he got booed out of frustration just like Drayton the night before. The players? The players probably get booed too...maybe not tonight maybe not as much as management. If you feel its unfair for the players to get a free pass while they're more responsible for the team's underachievement, that's life. Management (especially the manager) always gets scapegoated.

#34 Smokey, Jul 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I agree with Rocketman95. I think the fans booing Jimy was pretty lame. He probably needs to be fired just to make a change, but I think booing him was classless.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I felt bad for Jimy last night and don't like the guy.

It was an All Star game, it was suppose to be a fun night for everyone involved. I bet he couldn't wait for the night to end.

18. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

...Here is an insider post from the official Astros MLB.COM Message Board. Press conference this afternoon...
    To: ALL

Got inside source on press conference today, 3:00pm or 4:00pm.
    Rumors will hold true, Jimy will be gone, Spillman gone, pending Baylors decision.

Source inside clubhouse, 99.9% reliable.
    Possibility of Baylor, Head coach...50-50. Garner 100%/
    Watch and see....Bye Bye Jimy....

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-astros&msg=19314.1&ctx=0

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Yeah I felt really bad for Jimy out there last night. It's a tough situation to be standing out there as a lame duck. It was very low brow of the fans to boo him especially if they knew he was about to be fired.

I think he is a very classy guy and a good baseball man, but the bottom line is that the team needs a change and I think even he might understand that. I hope he gets another shot somewhere else down the line.

20. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

To add to my insider post above: Here is part 2 for you lazy folks who do not like to visit any other website that this #1 first class website that we have here...

This info came from a person who regularly cleans the clubhouse, beer cans, trash cans, and gets inside info by accident. Jimys desk is clean as of last night.

Talk in the clubhouse is open and non speculative, and looks like bags are packed for two on the staff, so my informant tells me....more updates to come....jas....
    http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-astros&msg=19314.3&ctx=0