1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN website: Cavs offer Silas job - Silas to accept possibly by Monday

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BubbaMac, Jun 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. daytripper

daytripper Member

Van Gundy comes across as such an opportunist to me.

It appears one of the reasons Cleveland passed on him is because he wouldn't guarantee LeBron minutes. Of course the people up there are buying tickets to see James play.

It scares me that VG has developed a total of zero players in this League. Is this the guy we want teaching Yao and SF?

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

he was coach of the knicks, what players did he have that he could develop. New York is terrible, that's not his fault they made bad management decisions.

3. daytripper

daytripper Member

Good point JPM but don't you think VG had some say in the players brought in by NY?

I understand the Knicks are under pressure to win every year but he did have a say in quitting 19 games into the season.

Maybe it's just me but VG reminds me of a little weasel and I don't want to see him on the Rox' bench.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i don't think Van Gundy was really able to bring in the guys he wanted. New York was full of up players making millions upon millions. In New York there was no chance of a young player being brought in and developed. The media and fans wouldn't wait that long, too impatient. Van Gundy got all he could out of his knick teams and i don't blame him for quitting early in the season. He did what he needed to do, that doesn't mean he will do it again, in fact, i don't think he will ever resign during the season ever again as long as he is living.

5. daytripper

daytripper Member

It just seems to me that VG has some commitment issues.

This week he has said it is only 50/50 that he goes back to coaching, then he turns down 25 million from Cleveland when he apparently was their #1 candidate....I mean has he ever come out and said he wants to coach the Rox?

I just prefer we get someone who actually wants to coach here....someone like Rudy. Me gets the feeling that VG is just after the last dollar and wants too much control.

6. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

That narrows it down to: Dunleavy and Rudy.