1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Warriors trade J-Rich to Bobcats for #8 Wright

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CharlieMurphy, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

It's about time the Cats spent some money.

2. mynameizrey

mynameizrey Member

I believe this was a good trade for both the Warriors and the Bobcats.

Warriors receive more depth and athleticism in the frontcourt with the acquisition of Brandan Wright. Also, with the Warriors style of run-and-gun offense, Wright's ability to run up and down the court will be tapped into at an early stage in his basketball career. To me, that is his bread and butter considering he looks undersized (not height-wise, but in body mass).

Although J-Rich will be missed for his integral role as an offensive scorer, the Warriors were hogtied by his massive contract and had to get him packing. To ship him to the Bobcats without taking back any player salaries will lighten the financial burden for the Warriors.

Bobcats, on the otherhand, bring in a proven veteran scorer in J-Rich. This will help round out the Bobcat's roster with Felton and J-Rich manning the 1 & 2 while Gerald Wallace, Adam Morrison and Emeka can man the frontcourt. Hopefully by doing this trade, the Bobcats will be able to attract more fans to their arena to see J-Rich "Throw it down!"

3. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

well, not anymore now :D

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

actually they're still way under the cap and can chase after a max salary guy if they choose to.

5. BigAssBear

BigAssBear Member

I concur, I don't really like this trade for either team.

6. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Richardson was born in '81, so he's pretty young. In the eastern conference he could be an all-star for a few years.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wonder if GS intends on dangling Wright as bait in a Garnett deal? Makes sense. Minnesota would have to take on Foyles contract though.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

richardson's young, athletic, and can shoot. he's a legitimate shooting guard at what 6'7". dude has tons of value.

edit: and he shoots the 3-bawl (a little van chancellor) well

#28 pgabriel, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  9. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'm guessing this ends any chance of the Rockets acquiring Barnes or Pietrus with the MLE.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For those of you keeping score. The Warriors just got a HUGE 10M+ Trade Exception from the Bobcats from this deal. Could be interesting in trades later in the year.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

u sure about that? i thought trade exception are for teams that are over the cap.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a healthy okafur and an improve morrison and felton
    plus gerald wallace (if they resign him) and jrich

they should be good.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

For all the reasons above, I agree, great move by GS. And I am dissappointed I think it probably takes us out of the Barnes/Pietrus FA play. And as Deuce said, the Warriors pull off a 10 mil TE. That gives them other unique opps. This Carolina kid does have sick upside, you could argue right after Durant/Oden. So you are basically adding him and giving you a much better shot a retaining Barnes/Pietrus/Ellis--instead of typing so much into JR.

For Char, not sure. JR is very explosive and fairly productive, but he also can shoot you right out of games. He seems like a great guy to make a bad team competitive or an average team really tough some nights, but not the kind of guy to build a consistent force of a team with.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GS IS over the cap. The Bobcats absorbed Richardson's salary (because they are under the cap and can do so) and thus created a huge trade exception for the Warriors.

The Warriors will be called by a bunch of teams this summer as a faciltator of 3 team trades because of that exception.

15. YaoYoYao

YaoYoYao Member

Was GS hoping to get Yi but got Wright instead or it's just a straight trade deal and there is nothing more to it? :confused:

16. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Bingo, Desert Scar hit it right on the head. I use to live in the bay area and use to watch a lot of warriors games. Jrich would make a perfect 2nd or 3rd option, but would be a poor primary scorer. The biggest holes in his game is his very suspect ball handling and poor freethrows. If he could improve one or both of those aspects of his game he could easily be a 25+ point scorer a night. Im not saying he can't improve those, but hes been in the league 6 years in the league and showed tangible additions to his game every year, so he is a hard worker.

17. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

What an incredible deal for Golden State. For them, its really a trade of Richardson for Wright, possibly the 3rd best player in one of the best drafts in many years, at a position of need, along with Barnes and Pietrus, who they were possibly going to lose. Now they can keep them, be a player in trades this summer with their TE, and keep Monta Ellis playing at SG. They were thinking of trading Ellis, since he was a duplication of Richardson.

Here's an example of where it'll help them. I think this will put them at the head of the line with MIN for Garnett. The player MIN wanted to grab in this draft was Wright. So, now GS can send them Wright, save them 12.22 mil with the TE, and some valuable talent. Here's how it would work:

GS trades TE for Blount and Hassell, saving 12.3m
    MIN trades Garnett for Wright, Harrington, and Foyle.

GS ends up with:

Davis/Jasevicius
    Ellis/Azubuike/Belinelli
    Jackson/Pietrus/Hassell/Capabarkaba
    Garnett/Barnes/Powell
    Biedrins/Blount/OBryant

MIN ends up with:

Foye/Jaric/Hudson
    McCants/Wright
    Davis/Brewer/Smith
    Wright/Howard/Madsen
    Harrington/Foyle

Both teams are better, both teams have less salary, MIN finally can rebuild with 4 good rookies from the last 2 years, and in 2 years be 19 mil less (Howard/Foyle) to obtain a top flight player to get them back to the top.

But, Golden State is WAY better, and would beat us. I don't know about Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio, but they would leapfrog Houston immediately.

18. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

I've warmed up to this deal for the Warriors. Golden State has been a favorite of mine since the Antawn Jamison era. Wright could be a future Chris Bosh in this league. He's definitely going to help their rebounding woes and is a formidable force on the frontcourt with Andris Biedrins. He fits into their system nicely.

As for the Bobcats, I think it's a great move for them. If Gerald Wallace bolts to another city, Jason Richardson is an excellent replacement offensively. J-Rich has always been a decent weak side shot blocker with his amazing hops. His athleticism and strong body also made him a good rebounding guard. How long can they play with Brevin Knight and Raymond Felton in the backcourt? Apparently not very long since they waived Brevin Knight. The Bobcats are obviously not high on Adam Morrison's scoring. Walter Hermann was a pleasant surprise for them. Okafor, May, Dudley, and Herrmann are solid for the 4/5 positions. They didn't need to get younger. They needed a solid veteran.

19. thedsz

thedsz Member

Biedrins and Wright will have a tough time complementing each other because neither can shoot. Unless you're gambling that one of them turns into a Amaresque player, this is a bad trade. Trading for Wright is probably some convoluted scheme to get Yi.

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This was a MONSTER of a trade for Golden State. Most people are busy covering the stupid moves made by the Knicks and Celtics but this trade right is the one people will remember this draft by in 5 years.

Why?

1) Warriors acquired top 3 talent in the deepest draft in long time. They really needed someone to play down low in the post like Brandon Wright and got him for pennies on the dollar.

2) 10 MILLION $$$ - They dumped a large contract of a 2nd or 3rd option type guy like Jason Richardson and guess what they got their money back every single penny of it. Now they can use this money to potentially trade for KG and facilitate a 3 way blockbuster deal. They have so many options they use this exception like get Rashard Lewis from Seattle in a SNT.

Man this one tremendous trade. Usually when a Gm tries to dump salary he has to package it with draft picks but in this case Warriors got a lottery pick and a full refund in return. Brilliant.

Warriors could be very scary if they land KG and fistful to handle in the West.