1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Top 12 Trade Assets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by booshan, Jan 31, 2009.

1. booshan

booshan Contributing Member

[ESPN] Top 12 Trade Assets - Rockets have 6 trade exceptions?

Anyone in the know care to break this down for me (link below), or point me to the best place that would? We have six trade exceptions? How did we get them? How can we use them? Is it likely we will use them?

While I'm at it - I'm very aware of the poor play of late, especially against lesser teams, but the next 6 games heading into the all star break (GS, Chi, @Mem, Minn, @Mil, Sac - combined 95-187; .336) - I can't see the Rox losing any of them. Am I hopelessly optimistic? Which one(s) do you think we would lose? How sad is it that I would be so excited about the possibility? If we did win all 6 we'd be 34-19 - not sure what it was last year - but I'd be kinda pleased with that record, all things considered. Would you?

Thanks in advance - love this site - lurk here every day

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...ssets-090130&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

ASSET No. 12: Expiring trade exceptions
    OWNERS: Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Houston Rockets, Oklahoma City Thunder, Denver Nuggets

A trade exception allows the acquiring team to take on a player making an equal or lesser amount of salary without the trade having to conform to the 125 percent rule. There are six trade exceptions that expire Feb. 23, the largest of which belongs to the Bulls: a $5.205 million exception from the deal that sent Joe Smith to Cleveland last year.

The Cavs have a $1.63 million exception from including Cedric Simmons in that deal, and the Thunder have a $1.89 million exception from the Delonte West end of that same trade. Two of the Rockets' six trade exceptions (Bonzi Wells, $2.284M, and Kirk Snyder, $917K) expire Feb. 23, and the Nuggets have an expiring $771K exception from last year's Von Wafer deal.

#1 booshan, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TEs cannot be packaged with players. Alexander is trying hard to stay under the luxury. I don't see those being used. Moot

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DAMN YOU!
    ;)

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We were in the middle of the streak, and as such were 33-20. But from there went all the way to 46-20. It will be tough to equal last years record, at the end of the day, even though after the streak the team went just 11-11.

Six trade exceptions does seem like a lot. Can they be combined?

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

That article made no sense to me. I'm not really an economics type of guy.

6. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Even though they can't be combined, they can ship another player in a deal for just a TE.

For instance, let's say we want to trade Luther Head to CHI, but we wanted more than Head or CHI wanted a draft pick, if we wanted more than one player. We could now balance the trade, so it included a TE for one of Cedric Simmons, Thabo Sefolosha, or Joakim Noah, who would fit in a trade for the TE. Head's salary is in the same range as Wells, so if we really wanted 2 of those players, and were willing to send along a draft pick, and CHI was trying to cut down on salary, that could make a deal work, such as Head/TE/future 1st for Sefolosha/Noah.

NJ is desperately trying to reduce salary. They also need a PG with all 3 currently injured, and Alston is a hometown hero, great for marketing. Houston would never want Stromile Swift, but if it meant having his salary drop off this summer, and adding Brook Lopez (no way), Jarvis Hayes, Sean Williams or Ryan Anderson to the package, then that might make the deal work for both teams.

The TE's already are included in our salary totals, so using it would not push us into luxury tax territory. Of course, letting them lapse would certainly put us below, giving us future flexibility.

#6 Sherlock, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  7. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

after the streak it should be 9-7....................

8. henGoOink

henGoOink Member