1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Toni Collins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Dec 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good lord have mercy.

I think he reproduced too.

2. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I must inform all my friends who use shortened versions of their name that they disgraced their family and dishonored their races.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This thread can't be any more annoying.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

what else do you expect in a thread where Swoly-D has 19 of the 82 posts?

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

this thread is on par with skyrim in the nfl section

6. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

This thread reminds me of this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s120QJv6Ikg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They keep asking questions or bringing up points I'm shooting down like your ideas at the meetings. What, you don't want me to be a jerk and not answer them, do you? :eek:

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The **** is wrong with some of y'all?
    Her name is what y'all want to argue about? SMDH

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Hahaa, I see you robbiemac. Eased in with a lil compliment to start off and then hit her with the heavy question.
    (Dude, I think Toni/Antonietta is feeling you breh):grin:

10. what

what Member

lol. wholly crap, Swoly-D is ALL IN.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^Remember this was a response about a friend of mine^^ Someone I knew and worked on TV projects with in college.

I'm curious, its already been established that close friends call her Toni. If she always went by Toni, but changed it to her full name solely for the Spanish speaking network..who is she selling out to in that case?

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Take it easy. Take it eeeeeaaaaasy.

Americans are among the very worst at pronouncing "foreign" names, even something as simple as "ahn-tone-ee-AY-tah". Everything becomes heavily Anglicized.

So many people get weary of hearing lazy Americans butcher their name and so make it simple.

When I was stationed in Italy, I remember calling the Judge Advocate General office on base. A nice lady helped me with some info. At the end of the call I asked,

"What's your name? I know you probably told me, but...."

A pause. "Nancy."

She spoke perfect English but had enough of an accent that she was obviously a local national working at the JAG office. I pulled a face at the sound of "Nancy", a very plain version of her real name. I said,

"Nunzia." (NOON-tzee-ah.)

You could hear the grateful smile in her voice when she said, "Yes, that's right."

Later I called the office and asked the chirpy young American female, "May I speak to Nunzia?"

"Who?"

I sighed. "Is Nancy there?"

"Oh, Nancy."

Americans have tin ears. I don't blame Toni one bit.

Now, among other Latinos---is she Mexican, this young lady?---of course she's "Antonieta". They won't mangle it.

13. right1

right1 Member

Mi amigo Antonio goes by Antonio, Tonito and, you guessed it, Tony. Wow. Amazing he has three names. Dude sold out.

14. SwoLy-D

ROXTXIA, that's another point I'm trying to make. Stop being lazy about the pronunciation, stop mangling other people's names, stop trying to "be so [another nationality]" here just because those of that nationality can't say your name. If you're going into the industry, your name should be the one you pick from the get-go, and don't try to make it seem like no one can't accept you for what your name is. :cool: I think you and I agree on some of these things I am pointing out. To what degree? I don't know.

So you're going to change a stance or have a "different opinion" about the situation because it's your friend? :confused: I think that's what's wrong with society nowadays. Favors. Favorites. Meh.
    BOTH. Double SELLOUT? She's not broadcasting or reporting to her "close friends" and it's not a social gathering, it's a professional industry. FAIL again.

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

?? I never changed my stance - I never said she was a sellout. I said she was being business savoy buy using the hispanic sounding maiden name of her mother for an advantage in the industry. I said it was a smart move.

She's a double sellout? okay, heres another situation - its my true story. I've been in the TV industry for 20yrs. All my life I have always gone by my middle name. However During the first 5yrs of my professional life, I used my first name on credits of my work because I felt it sounded more professional. Was I selling myself out? Since then, I've used my middle name on all the credits.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^sorry for the misspelling - I meant "savvy"^^

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Dude, I want to remind you you're arguing with SwoLy.

18. SwoLy-D

Just for the sake of money and stopping from sounding like a culture or another... again, just for the sake of "MONEY"? If you think materialistic and money-hungry is "a smart move"... and it's OK over just being true to yourself and your heritage, OK... but I don't think it is.
    I am glad it worked out for you. :cool: Good! Now, what does this have to do with cultures or denying one's heritage for getting money? Nothing. But, thanks for sharing your story.

I think I see now why you're defending her changes so much... she's a fellow TV person and you're in the industry. I see now... but doesn't make it OK.

By comparison, a three-year-old can't articulate cultural differences and doesn't know greed and materialistic stances. Good video, though!

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

this thread is not petty. at. all.

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Well, no need to waste time pointing out the obvious... If you're going to take the trouble to make a remark in this Swoly-fest of a thread derailment, don't contribute to it's routine and start inserting a few random quips to enliven the thread.

Think, man!