1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN to unveil 3-D television network in 2010

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Shehzad23, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Shehzad23

Shehzad23 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4796555

Sports broadcasting will enter a new dimension in 2010 ... the third dimension, as ESPN will unveil the industry's first 3-D network.

ESPN 3D will showcase a minimum of 85 live sporting events during its first year, beginning June 11 with the first 2010 FIFA World Cup match, featuring South Africa versus Mexico, ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer announced.

Other events to be produced in 3-D include the 2011 BCS National Championship Game, college basketball and football contests, up to 25 World Cup matches and the Summer X Games. Additional events will be announced at a later date.

"ESPN's commitment to 3-D is a win for fans and our business partners," Bodenheimer said in a statement. "ESPN 3D marries great content with new technology to enhance the fan's viewing experience and puts ESPN at the forefront of the next big advance for TV viewing."

ESPN has been testing ESPN 3D for more than two years, even showing a USC-Ohio State college football game in select theaters and to 6,000 fans at the Galen Center on USC's campus.

"This is a turning point for 3-D," Consumer Electronics Association CEO Gary Shapiro told USA Today.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Great, now the suck will actually come into my living room.

2 people like this.
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DonnyMost again.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad: What did we do to you?? Why you gotta talk about MEXICO like that, man :( ?

If you weren't fit, I'd kick your *ss!!! :mad:

I kid. I can't kick a disco's ass.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just wait until your watching it, chillin'...you reach for a drink, turn around and

[​IMG]

RIGHT IN YOUR FACE! A REAL ****ING TROLL IN 3D!!

1 person likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Swoly, you magnificent b*stard.

Disco?

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Don't you need special TVs for this?

8. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

These replies make me LOL :grin:

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I was thinking more like....

BOOYOW!
    [​IMG]

10. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Great, now I can see Mexico get there arse kicked in my living room.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4sec_GaWpI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4sec_GaWpI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:mad:

11. SwoLy-D

:p Sorry man... a "disco's ass" is not you nor your ass necessarily. I was quoting a famous stand-up comedy act... (name that comedy act - except for you, Master Baiter - difficulty: easy)

12. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

I have no problem watching Erin Andrews in 3D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. AGBee

AGBee Member

Isn't it funny how they announce all this 3D content after the big holiday shopping season? "Don't hold off on that HDTV purchase, it will last you forever! Oops, sorry 3D is right around the corner, you knew that, right?"

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

15. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Joe Schad just posted these couple of nuggets on his Twitter regarding an ESPN 3D demonstration.

"Watching USC vs Ohios State in 3D demonstration by ESPN. It is the future. It is remarkable. It is Avatar playing college football."

"After watching Avatar I don't want to watch regular movies. After watching CFB in 3D I never want to watch CFB on regular HD again."

Now I really want to see what this is about.

16. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

This could be interesting

17. SwoLy-D

I didn't know where to place this question, but I guess I could do it here.

I was sent this here link by a buddy who told me about Landon Donovan scoring a goal with Everton yesterday, and I saw the gallery...

http://www.evertonfc.com/match/report/0910/everton-v-sunderland.html (go through the gallery and there are 3d cameras with 2 lenses side-by-side)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

:confused: Who is looking at the images or video made with these 3D cameras?!?!? Where can I see a demo of what these cameras are capturing...? How money much will a TV that can see those videos cost? Why can't my Rockets beat a good team lately? Ooops, that question is not for this thread. :eek:

Besides, the action is very far away... would it zoom in and do "3D"?

Yay! Landon Donovan scoring. Whoop-dee-doo. :p

#17 SwoLy-D, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  18. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

It looks like the Manchester United vs Arsenal game on Sunday will be broadcast in 3D, they probably recorded the Everton game as a test.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Sky-To-Show-Worlds-First-Sports-Event-Live-In-3D-Arsenal-v-Man-Utd-To-Be-Screened-In-Nine-Pubs/Article/201001415536976?lpos=UK_News_Third_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region__7&lid=ARTICLE_15536976_Sky_To_Show_Worlds_First_Sports_Event_Live_In_3D%3A_Arsenal_v_Man_Utd_To_Be_Screened_In_Nine_Pubs_

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Hope they don't show any games that Greg Oden is playing in.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm surprised they're jumping into this so soon. I would have though simulcasts to digital 3D equipped theaters would happen first.

Unlike HD, I'm very much unconvinced that my sports viewing needs or even wants 3D.