1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN to fire 100 on-air personalities today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Did they keep Freddie Coleman? I like his voice on the radio

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I think the narrative that the stimulus for the layoffs is that ESPN overpaid for tv rights, and they now are desperate to save money anywhere is being overstated. What ESPN pays in salaries is a drop in the bucket compared to the massive amounts they spend for rights. It seems more like a business philosophy change. Ten years ago ESPN wanted to be the news source for every team, basically trying to replace local beat writers and local sports radio. They are finally abondoning that model and focusing on clickbait-style, opinion journalism that is the trend these days. The layoffs seem more anout trimming the fat from the old business model than trying to save a tiny percentage of their budget.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

John Clayton is knowledgeable, reasonable, speaks at a normal volume, and doesn't try to impose his will on co-hosts and the audience.......

I'm sure he was fired due to performance issues.

heypartner and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm surprised he lasted this long with his balanced approach.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So I guess this means no more Slayer jamz huh....

[​IMG]

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In the article,

The layoffs could hit both on-air TV/radio talent and behind-the-scenes production staffers.

“This time it won’t matter if you’re ‘liked’ or not. It’s not going to be pretty,” one source warned.

Another source expects the flagship “SportsCenter” franchise to lose people in front of and behind the camera. “I see (ESPN) going down a path where they have less staff — and hire more production companies to provide programs and fill air time.”

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Came here to post that ESPN sucks. That's all.
    ESPN=CNN/FOX news of sports.
    Biased and useless.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

OOOF!

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is good for the sportssphere. Chaos is good for growth.

Yeah, SI.com gets about 40% of my online sports checking now. ESPN the other 60% out of habit. I don't give a F@&$ what Lonzo's dad did last night, ESPN.

KingCheetah and Yung-T like this.
  13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Good. ESPN is garbage. And like @Xerobull said. I only click ESPN out of habit sometimes. I try to go to MLB.com or NBA.com or NFL.com to get box scores just because I can't stand giving ESPN clicks. I should probably delete it out of my bookmarks lol

Sajan likes this.
  14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Am I the only one that still goes to sports.yahoo.com out of habit? I still have the yahoo sports app as my score tracker.

RedNation likes this.
  15. BleedsRocketRed

Me too, however now they don't really produce their own content, just link to other articles. The quality has really fallen off the map the last 5 years. Yahoo Sports was my go to all during the 2000's

16. theimpossibles1

Sounds like a good time to watch ESPN. Everyone will be snorting lines and going H.A.M. to try to save their jobs.

I can tell you who won't be fired: Katie Nolan. They have been riding her hard lately. *Inserts sex joke here*

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Has she heard of braces?

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Pretty sure this would be a good reason to fire Jamele Hill.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I hope they let go of Lebatard. But because he's my favorite and I'd love to see him do something with more freedom

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Huge LeBatard fan here as well. I'd love to see him in a place where he has more creative freedom, but if he were let go (which is highly doubtful, but just for argument's sake), I'd be afraid he'd just decide to walk away. I think I've heard him say before that he doesn't need the job anymore, but carries on because he likes that he can provide for others well (Stu, Papi, the shipping container) and because he just enjoys doing it.