1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn]Tisdale has part of leg amputated to stem bone cancer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is up with all the bad news with former players?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3555049

Tisdale has part of leg amputated to stem bone cancer

Associated Press

Updated: August 26, 2008, 10:27 PM ET

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Former NBA player Wayman Tisdale had part of his right leg amputated Monday because of bone cancer.

Tisdale, 44, revealed on his Web site that the surgery was scheduled for Monday. His wife, Regina, told The Associated Press on Tuesday night the surgery had taken place as planned.

"Everything went well," she said.

Tisdale, a 6-foot-9 Tulsa native who played for Oklahoma before spending 12 seasons in the NBA with the Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Suns, first learned he had cancerous cyst below his right knee after he broke his leg in a fall at his home in Los Angeles on Feb. 8, 2007.

Tisdale, now an award-winning jazz musician, under went treatment and later had knee replacement surgery and resumed touring. Tisdale was still undergoing chemotherapy when he told the AP in June that "I feel better than ever. I'm excited. I've got a whole new look on life. I look at life on a whole 'nother radar."

Tisdale told the AP that his latest album, "Rebound," was inspired by his ongoing fight against the cancer.

On his Web site, Tisdale said removing a portion of the leg would be the best way to ensure that the cancer would not return.

"This may sound drastic, but I have put it in God's hands and now have peace, knowing that this is the best way to put this disease in check," he said. "I have complete faith that with the Lord's blessings this surgery will eliminate the cancer from my body and I'll soon be back on the road doing what I do best."

Tisdale said he planned to resume touring in the fall and that he would attend an annual cruise that he hosts.

According to statistics from the National Cancer Institute, about 63 percent of people diagnosed with bone cancer live at least 10 more years.

In 1983, Tisdale became the first freshman to make The Associated Press' first-team All-America list.

Tisdale was also an All-American in 1984 and 1985. He was the Big Eight Conference's player of the year in each of his three seasons with the Sooners and still holds Oklahoma's single-game, season and career scoring records. He played on the U.S. team that won the gold medal in the 1984 Olympic Games.

He went on to average 15.3 points per game during his pro career.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

he's awsome. love his album

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is out of nowhere for me. I'm both very sad and very happy for him. Sigh!

I remember Tisdale playing at OU and with the Pacers. I had no idea what happened to him since leaving the NBA.

Total shock to hear this!

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing Wayman somewhere on TV after he retired..and I want to say he got pretty fat. Not necessarily a cause, but unhealthiness certainly may have been part of his fall at home..or the development of the cyst at the break. I don't know..

Regardless, hope for the best for him. He's always seemed like a good guy.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I've heard just as much about him after the NBA as I did when he was in the NBA. He's a respected jazz musician, not just a former player posing as a musician.

*sigh*...yep, time for me to not avoid that physical I keep putting off...

6. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

That's sad to hear. He always came across to me as a great person.