1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] The NBA's best defenses are playing a whole 'nother game these days...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is partly Morey's fault. He filled the team with guys who were in the top 10 to 15 in steals. Maybe he thought this was a sign of great defense and didn't realize it comes with gambling.

2. dmoneybangbang

It all comes down to effort and communication. I don't think last seasons top 10 defense was a fluke.

3. basketballholic

It is partly the reason. We have to play ball chasers like Brewer so they can get steals to offset Hardens insane turnover count.

Like this is something new?

We've been scrambling for steals and deflections since Morey got here and started emphasizing it. These bums are just now deciding to put forth some effort.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So now Morey runs the defense, too. Under JVG and Thibs?

Do you thinking overplaying the lanes scrambling for steals (ie cheating) is what JVG implemented?

5. heypartner

I know it's popular for people to overly simplify defense like this, but it's like saying "it all comes down to knocking down your shots."

both are true. but neither explain much

6. bmd

bmd Member

Here you go HP. Video of our defense at the end of a quarter. You can see where we're set up on the court. It's man to man:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v3UJX1GkeM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is our basic PnR defense. Show and recover. The man didn't roll here but you get how it's played:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pe0IqJ7_id0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's fun to say and think anyone can play defense if they just try hard and are smart bball players. Then to cherry pick examples. See Ryan Bowen vs. Nowitzski in the 05/06 playoffs, where Dirk had an inefficient scoring series... nevermind that Bowen wasn't that great overall defensively except for some select harassing of Dirk.

The fact is, even with smart players who play hard, there just will always be some players that are going to be better defenders than others. And the further fact is, the Rockets better defenders have just regressed as individual defenders. Dwight is the biggest culprit here. He just CAN'T move laterally anymore. He CAN'T do the double jump anymore - to contest a shot and then grab the rebound, or to get faked and still be able to jump on the actual shot. But Ariza has regressed. Everyone know Harden regressed through effort. Etc.

While there are trends that can certainly be pointed to, especially to counter all the 3 point shooting and spacing on the floor, there needs to be a great focus and scheme in the first place, and the Rockets CLEARLY don't have that.

Think about it for just a few seconds... how do the Rockets defend the pick and roll? Do they always do one thing or the other? Do you see them out there communicating? Etc, Etc. They don't appear to even really have a plan. Sometimes they switch. Sometimes they go over. Sometimes they go under. Sometimes nobody switches, etc.

Recall the game recently against the Jazz, where Dwight got switched onto Hood in overtime. Harden made no attempt to go over or under. Dwight didn't want to get switched onto Hood and didn't know what to do once he did, etc.

And that's the simple stuff. Never mind slightly more complex rotational work.

So you have two problems here:
    1. Nothing even close to a scheme or emphasis strategically on defense
    2. Defenders increasingly less capable of executing a scheme if there was one.

Finally, the PF position has become such a bellweather for change in the NBA. As PF have moved farther and farther away from the basket, and opened up space for guards, PFs on defense have needed to become increasingly mobile, versatile and adaptable. And at least capable on PnRs.

I am DEFINITELY NOT on the DMo as savior bandwagon. But when he, or even Josh Smith, have been out there as PF and been locked in defensively, the team hums. The Rockets don't have the personnel to run small - they've tried Trevor at PF and it's been "ok" - works at times, but they get beat up on the boards. They don't have any healthy PFs that are consistent enough in any way otherwise.

I'm not sold on Dwight being a huge defensive difference maker anymore, certainly not on a consistent basis. But he is capable, and if he comes back at the right price, fine. But the team HAS TO FIND a capable PF defensively. Even if that guy can't stretch the floor offensively, he needs to be able to switch on PnRs while also playing big and being an above average rebounder.

And then get a coaching staff that can make a difference.

8. heypartner

thx bmd

I'm talking about the NBA in general. I guess this thread is turning into a discussion about Rox defense. Hey, I'm on mobile, so cant really post vids. Will try to find some later. Defenses of WB and Harden are great examples of what Thorpe is discussing

also, my question to you about PnR and ISO defenses was asking about how your HS team was taught to defend them. I'm curious if it had NBA principles that weren't surfacing much yet at the time you mentioned playing

My main interest in this thread is about what is new vs seen in hs, college where illegal defense was never a rule

9. heypartner

Hard for me to see. Is that UT or your high school playing a tournament game at UT?

Anyhoot, nice find of an ISO. But that defense is not allowed in the NBA. It's a defensive three second call (on two different players), which is not a penalty in hs, college.

I really can't see much here. The camera is zoomed-in at only the dribbler. Can't see any help defense. That's what I'm looking for, together with the primary defenders.

10. bmd

bmd Member

State championship at UT.

The point was to show the overload of the strong side. It's not man to man where you stick on your man the whole time like many people believe.

And yeah it's illegal defense in the NBA because of the 3 second rule. The big in the NBA has to keep running in and out of the lane or be within arms reach. I'm actually not sure if he has to be within arms reach of his man or any offensive player.

As for the pick and roll defense, that's how the camera man shot the whole game. I tried to find a shot of the whole floor but I couldn't just from scrolling through the game real quick.

11. dmoneybangbang

Fair enough. I don't think our schemes and philosophy is broken.

I think with how the Rockets play defense, especially with how much we switch, the communication (verbal and non-verbal) has been poor. Often times we are scrambling too much because the players don't know who has who. Our PFs (outside of DMo) have been poor at knowing where to be and where to go. I don't think DMo is great at individual defense but is smart to be a good team defender.

The transition defense issue is purely effort.

I think we should have a good defense (top 10) on paper with our versatility, length, and athleticism.

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Can't explain it with that; can explain anecdotally: the zone defense I learnt to play at basketball camp abroad taught us to basically wall up the driving lane after forcing the ball to the sidelines. The wall would still have a 2-1-2-ish shape as when the ball is at the top of the key. We overplayed the middle of the court to prevent the ball getting back there once it was passed to the sides. It's the same thing as the video shows

13. heypartner

^^^
    so you played zone? Thorpe is explaining man defense in an era of no illegal defense. Otherwise, he would have said zone

14. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

We called it zone, but we stick with our man and the defense swaps places rather than switching man if there's a crossover - I can't connect the technical terms since I learnt it in another language, but the video shows the concepts we were taught.

Our coach's claim to fame was that he played a couple of games with the Greek National team.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dont forget "win the game and dont lose"