1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Support for Kevin McHale remains strong within the organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

This was my final straw for mchale indeed...i think you hit the nail right on the head, because when your whole system throughout the yearis switching you have to have those 3 defenders ready to switch, with the furthest defender guarding the middle of the court...thats a MUST in that situation because the far end fo the court is absolutely USELESS in that situation yet we still had 2 ppl standing there like idiots watching lilliards shot go in....i would have rather aldridge catch it with his back behind the basket having to turn round and shoot over dwight...keep jones loooking at the court and he couldve became second defender to lilliard cuz there was no time to pass back to inbound...AHHH THE FRUSTRATION...iam half glad our season is over cuz iam sure our dumb play wouldve cost me another 3 years of my life next round

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What about support for Kelvin Sampson?

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Fire Mchale opportunist? The man sucked the whole playoffs. It took him 2 games to figure out how to guard LMA. He has no clue how to make adjustments within the game. JVG is already accepting interviews from teams, so you must be the "foolio" for assuming somethin you obviously know nothing about. George Karl is currently the best option for our next coach.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

what about him? he was responsible for the ****ty defensive coverages all year long. from Blake's 3 to Lillard's 3, beginning and end

he bailed out on us.

5. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Wow just wow. You perfectly described what happened at the end of Game 6 one week before it happened. LOL. I mean it was pretty obvious, but everything you just mentioned is exactly how it happened at the end of the game. ISO harden and we get lucky with a parsons put back. Then on defense nobody knows if they should switch on a screen or not.

6. maczmina

maczmina Member

I hope Morey let McHale go. Alexander won the battle of Dragic, according to cyberx, please Morey wins the battle of the coach!

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys stop blaming McHale for drawing up crappy plays. Lin is the one who's responsible for that.

[​IMG]

8. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Lin player coach.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I would be a little surprised if Morey doesn't bring McHale back.

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This is how I'm starting to feel unfortunately. Been listening to local sports radio analyst and most of them have been defending McHale and saying he shouldn't be fired. I don't see how anyone can have much hope if McHale comes back next year.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I would be. Morey may only have 2 years left before Dwight opts out and bails. Does he really wanna p-ss away one of those years by bringing back a crappy head coach who was so bad this postseason that he became a national joke?

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ultimately, this is all up to Les Alexander's mood. Everyone else , from the players to Morey, only has an advisory role at the most.

I suspect that if Les likes McHale personally, the team picks up McHale's option to bring him back for another year and make some changes to the assistant coaches. Likely adding a new top assistant to take Sampson's place but also consider changing the others.

If the team isn't satisfied with its X's and O's after Sampson left, and they hired McHale knowing that he'd delegate these things, then what are the other assistants doing after Sampson left?

The two prior coaches got their 4th yr options picked up, IIRC, so the same may well happen with McHale.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I personally am indifferent on whether they keep or fire McHale. I think it is a players league and most of the problems the Rockets have are talent and depth related.

We will see. I would love to see Rick Carlisle but that isn't going to happen.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I think this is the most likely scenario. McHale comes back with Ron Adams, Darren Erman or a like qualified assistant coach is added.

McHale is certainly not flawless but the Rockets lost their top assistant and also were very short on depth.

15. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I like your optimism, but I'm going to disagree. You can look back at every championship team and you can find areas of weaknesses. At the end of the day, it's impossible to field the "perfect" team with talent in spades from 1 to 12. But, what did those teams have in common? Fantastic coaching. I agree that there are holes to fill in this team particularly at PG and PF, but I have no doubt in my mind that this current roster was talented enough to beat the Blazers in the 1st round.

The lack of late game execution that plagued this team all year from the Steve Blake game winning shot at the beginning of the season to Lillard's game winning shot at the end of the season boils down to coaching. I know you remember all those games we squandered massive leads in the fourth quarter and the offense stagnated and the defense looked like a sieve.

16. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

The only condition I'd give McHale another chance is if we get rid of "Moreyball", which is in my opinion our biggest roadblock to postseason success.

17. downbytheriver

He is not smart enough. Next.

18. champstocome

champstocome Member

[​IMG]

Mchale has r****d brains

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

When you're likable, and have a history of legendary success in one part of your profession... it doesn't matter how incompetent you are in the present position of your profession... people will defend you... because people are sheep prone to bias and subjective thinking...

To say nothing of the intellectual hubris rampant in most analysts...

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

How can you support such a bafoon of a coach? Do you not see his mistakes that cost the Rox the season with an early exit?