1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN / Stein] Sources: Chandler-Okafor deal in works

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jul 27, 2009.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You wouldn't take Gerald Wallace on your team?

2. baller4life315

Well put. Plus, not to jinx Okafor but the big knock on him earlier in his career was his durability issues. Guess what? He's coming off of two straight 82-game seasons. So not only are we going to see a "new" player with a fresh start in a new system playing alongside the game's best playmaker, but we could also be witnessing his coming out party provided he can continue to stay healthy.

It will be interesting to see how well he plays alongside David West but that's trivial right now.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Read the posts ahead of yours.

You fill in the blank?

[to fill it in for you: Charlotte didn't throw in a first round pick - Okafur was their first ever pick, and they traded him. That's what the article says.]

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That makes no sense.

Chandler is not a 3-4....

5. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

actually, sbyang is right. chandler may not be a traditional 3 or 4, but that doesn't mean that the bobcats don't envision trying him at the 4.

just to echo what's been said, chandler is slightly more tradeable than okafor due to the shorter length of his contract - this isn't it for the bobcats in terms of moves.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Playing Chandler at PF next to Diop or Nazr Mohammed doesn't make sense to me. The Bobcats would have trouble averaging 60 points/game. Much more likely, he is the starting C with one of the other two backing him up while Diaw is the starter at PF.

Playing Chandler at PF full-time would be like tying a millstone around the Bobcats' neck. On offense, he is a complete zero outside of the charge circle (just like the other two C's on their team) while on defense he couldn't keep up with any of the PFs in the NBA that play away from the basket.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He is a decent player, but I expect more out of a guy that makes $10 million a year with 4 more years left on his contract. The guy averaged 17 & 8 last year, and is a G/F that is a poor 3pt shooter. 17ppg just doesn't cut it when you are supposed to be the best offensive player on your team. He has also suffered from injuries every year with the Bobcats.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yes, it does. Chandler backing up Boris Diaw makes ZERO sense, and will NEVER happen. Remember, Boris Diaw came into the league as a PG...

9. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Maybe its a prelude for another move by the Bobcats. Moving Chandler later for a much needed player. If they can. :D

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

James White and Joey Dorsey?:)

11. baller4life315

Fair enough although I think it's worth noting we're talking about 17 PPG on only 11 shots. I mean, Raja Bell was averaging as many shots per game as Wallace. Imagine if Battier was doing the same with T-Mac or Yao -- the BBS would absolutely incinerate. I realize the onus is partially on Wallace in that regard but anytime this problem surfaces half of the issue is usually coaching. Plus, his PER puts himself into the same neighborhood as Butler, Durant, Granger and Carmelo. That's pretty good company.

12. juicystream

And for a team not concerned with the salary cap/luxury tax they might trade for him because he is a good player, but this is a terrible time to have long-term deals to want to trade away. If they could trade him without taking a bad long-term deal back, I would do it. The same goes for Diaw. My guess is they have zero chance to trade Diop/Mohammed at this point.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

...and that's not even taking in to account his intangibles. I don't know how many people here pay much attention to him but his defense puts him in a different class of player above most 17 and 8 guys. He's the rare breed of a talented athletic player who is willing to go all out and do whatever it takes to help his team win.

14. juicystream

That he does. Trevor Ariza is a similar player. Wallace is more athletic. Wallace at 7 million/yr I would love on this team to play SG. Of course without Okafor, maybe Wallace will do even more this year to increase his trade value.