1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN / Stein] Sources: Chandler-Okafor deal in works

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jul 27, 2009.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's making around 8 million a year...maybe more. Scola is better than him and he's only making 3 mill a year. Why would you pay that for a backup F/C?

2. Gerbdog

Gerbdog Member

Okafor reminds me of Otis Thorpe......and I loved Otis Thorpe. He would be a great compliment splitting time between the 4 and 5 spot for the Rox.

3. Sonn

Sonn Member

Hmmm as a Part time Hornets fan I can't understand this move, The Hornets get a better player BUT they spend more money...Oh'Well

4. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I think Thorpe was significantly better offensively than Okafor; Thorpe had legit post scoring ability. Although Thorpe was not the shotblocker Okafor is I think he is just as good as Okafor at guarding his man. I suppose Okafor could be a poor man's Thorpe.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you serious? Okafor played every game the last two seasons, with a +18.49 EFF this past year. Chandler played 77 total over the last two seasons, and managed a 6.0 EFF last year. Less than half as many games, not to mention having far less of an impact for his team. You know what I consider Okafor's "problem?" He's been playing for a god-awful team his entire career. Put him on a good team, with a point like Chris Paul, and he's going to look pretty damned amazing. Chandler? He'll still be Chandler. A good role player to have, but not a star player like Emeka, who really needs a change of scenery. I just wish that new scenery was with the Rocks.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if Chandler's contract is covered partially by insurance for the portion of the season he misses if that number reaches, say, 30+ games. I wonder if that's the reason why Bobcats are trading for him.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Sorry, after it was pointed out that Okafor actually saves them $1.3million this season, I actually agree with your initial comments and want to retract my entire rant in this thread.

My assumption was that Okafor made more annually than Chandler thus leading to the conclusion that Shinn was no longer in financial desperation. However, that Okafor makes less annually, you can just view it as a 'bang for the buck' talent upgrade that any normal NBA team would be motivated to make. I don't think the extra years on Okafor's deal are indicative of any reversal of fortune because Shinn is probably just looking to make the initial savings and then if things turn sour, cash out at a later date - Okafor is very movable.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I sure hope the Bobcats are in full tank mode.

Some people may like Diaw but I would be all over Gerald Wallace. He's one of the more underrated players in the league. He can score, he's a great rebounder, and is a lockdown defender. Not one dimensional at all, my favorite kind of player.

He's has some obvious injury concerns but I think he'd be worth the risk. I'd love to steal him away.

9. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Thats what I'm wondering. Why would you trade a big man coming to his prime for a injury prone player. Man , Larry Brown ruins very team he coaches.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Charlotte Observer is reporting it as a done deal.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/856106.html

Source: Bobcats trading Okafor to Hornets
    Deal would send Charlotte's only starting center in franchise history to Hornets.
    By DAVID SCOTT
    dscott@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Monday, Jul. 27, 2009

A trade that will send center Emeka Okafor to the New Orleans Hornets for Tyson Chandler might give the Charlotte Bobcats some salary-cap relief in a few years.

But the more pressing question for the Bobcats – who according to a team source will officially announce the deal Tuesday – is whether they have become a tougher, more effective defensive team

The lanky, 7-foot-1 Chandler might be a center who is more in the image of what coach Larry Brown prefers. But in Okafor – the team's first-ever college draft choice in 2004 – the Bobcats are dealing a player who has played every game over the last two seasons and has better career averages in rebounds (10.7-9.0) and blocked shots (1.9-1.4) than Chandler.

The differences were more marked last season, when Chandler missed 37 games because of a persistent toe injury. Okafor averaged 10.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocks, Chandler 8.7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks.

In the short run, the trade might appear to be costing the Bobcats money, since Chandler makes more than Okafor next season. But the deal could free up the Bobcats' finances in two years, when Chandler's contract expires.

If the Bobcats don't re-sign Chandler, they could potentially save $40.5 million over what would have been the final three seasons of Okafor's contract (including an option season of 2013-14).

The Bobcats drafted Okafor with the second overall pick in 2004 after he led Connecticut to that year's NCAA championship. Bothered by injuries early in his career, he didn't miss a game in either of the past two seasons and has been a consistent, if unspectacular, double-double performer.

Chandler didn't play in college and was the second player taken in the 2001 draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He was quickly traded to Chicago, where he played for five seasons before going to New Orleans.

He was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder last season, but the deal was rescinded when Chandler didn't pass a physical because of a toe injury.

Okafor's departure leaves forward Gerald Wallace – taken from Sacramento in the dispersal draft – as the only original Bobcat. And four of the Bobcats' seven lottery picks – Okafor, Sean May (waived), Adam Morrison (traded) and Brandan Wright (traded on draft night for the now-departed Jason Richardson) – are gone.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Detroit Pistons.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

man this move should make paul happy if it goes through. okafor >>>> chandler.

good move by the hornets.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Okafor is somewhat undersized as a 5,but he will fit in nicely with West. Hornets will benefit from this move.

14. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

If the Hornets are to trade Paul along with some bad contracts, Rox and Heat are the only two teams I could think of that could offer big enough expiring contracts (i.e. McGrady/Cook/Barry/Scola/Lowry for the Rox, O'Neal/Blount/Haslem/Wright/Quinn for the Heat) for the Hornets to get under the LT level. Too bad NO seem to go the opposite way.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets need to get in on this:

Rockets Receive:

Emeka Okafor
    Chris Paul
    Nazr Mohammed

Hornets Receive:

Tracy McGrady
    Aaron Brooks

Bobcats Receive

Tyson Chandler
    Carl Landry

It's a dream trade for me although it will never happen :(.

16. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

If this trade happens then the Rocket's division is getting tougher. Only Memphis has not shown that much improvement. Great trade for the Hornets. They get a player who is better and gets injured less then Chandler. Oh well, Morey you are on the clock. :D

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe it's a good idea for Morey to make note of this...Michael Jordan doesn't know what he's doing...

Lets target their next draft pick, it's probably going to be pretty high. Wonder if they'll take Chuck Hayes for it.

18. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Went to high school with him, he just updated his facebook status "so now what"..

Wish he was coming to htown

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is a one-sided trade that favors the Hornets. Props to them if it happens. It would also prove the Bobcats franchise is trash and the "For Sale" sign is on the lawn despite the denials. I want to hear MJ or LB explain how this benefits the Bobcats other than the shorter term of Chandler's contract.

Too many here have an inflated view of Chandler. Calling him an "elite defender" is a stretch and Chris Paul is the best thing that happened to him. CP3 is the singular reason Chandler scored in double-figures in 07/08 because he is a complete zero on offense. He's not much more than Ben Wallace who can catch alley-oop passes. Okafor isn't all-NBA either but he will turn into Superman on offense compared to Chandler.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

This move puts Michael Jordan well along the path to becoming the next Isiah Thomas. Isiah ruined the Raptors, the CBA, the Pacers and the Knicks. That's a tough record to beat, but MJ is coming along, having ruined the Wizards and now working on the Bobcats.