1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Stan Van Gundy knocks Knicks over treatment of Ewing

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketshopeful, Mar 24, 2009.

1. rocketshopeful

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4011050

NEW YORK -- Stan Van Gundy loves having Patrick Ewing on his staff. He can't figure out why the New York Knicks don't want him.

Van Gundy criticized the Knicks on Monday night for failing to give Ewing, the franchise's career scoring leader, a coaching job in the organization.

The fans certainly love him. The organization to me sort of pretends to appreciate him and like him.

-- Magic coach Stan Van Gundy on
    assistant Patrick Ewing

"I'm not trying to needle anybody or tell them their business," Van Gundy said after Orlando beat the Knicks 106-102. "What's amazing is they honor the guy, I don't know, every year. They honor him, but while they've got a lot of ex-players in their organization, they've never made any move to try to hire him. That to me is amazing."

Ewing was honored at halftime, when the Knicks presented seven of their former players with "legends awards." Introduced last, he received a loud ovation from the fans, who seem to appreciate him even more than they did when he was playing in New York from 1985-2000.

Van Gundy isn't sure the organization does.

"I mean, I don't know. It's sort of back and forth," Van Gundy said. "They seem to like you. The fans certainly love him. The organization to me sort of pretends to appreciate him and like him."

Ewing was a favorite of Van Gundy's brother, Jeff, who coached the Knicks from March 1996 until resigning in December 2001.

Ewing is in his second season on Van Gundy's staff after previously serving as an assistant coach in Washington and Houston. He is credited for his work with centers Yao Ming and the Magic's Dwight Howard, who came out early to watch the halftime ceremony -- none of the Knicks players did.

Yet he was apparently never a serious candidate for the Knicks' coaching job last year when Isiah Thomas was fired. Meanwhile, New York did interview former Knicks guard Mark Jackson, even though he has no coaching experience.

"This is a guy that not only was the face of their franchise, but when your best player works as hard as he does and competes as hard as he does, he gives your team a chance to be great. They say great things about him, but when it's time to put up or shut up, they don't do anything," said Van Gundy, who recently feuded with Shaquille O'Neal over his comments about O'Neal's flopping.

"So you know, it's been amazing and it's been our fortune in Orlando, that it's pretty amazing that with the ex-players that they hire here to me, there hasn't been a move. There are other ex-players that got interviews for their head coaching job, but then a guy who's been in the league with three different teams as an assistant can't get an interview."

Ewing has said he wants a top job in the NBA and there was some thought he would end up back in New York last year, either as the head coach or perhaps as an assistant on Mike D'Antoni's staff.

"I'm just like any person who is coaching in this league," Ewing said before the game. "I'm just looking for an opportunity, that's all."

2. FFz

FFz Member

come on... the most coaching we've seen patrick do as a rockets coach is give high fives... Hell i'd take charlie ward over him.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I like how Stan Van Gundy calls it like it is, but he's got to mind his own business.

4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Ewing did a good job at helping Yao develop when he was over here. JVG beat it in Yao's head to play in the low block and Ewing did contribute. I think both may have taken away Yao's perimeter game at least from mid range, which Ewing was known for, but they did help make him a dominant post player.

I think he's helped Howard's development as well in developing at least a little bit of post moves aside from grabbing boards and stuffing it home.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think Ewing did much for Yao. He played the center position totally different than Yao does. The only reason Ewing came here and stayed here was because of his relationship with JVG.

6. rocketshopeful

if ewing had lead his team to a ring, I think people's perception of what he did for Yao would be different, regardless of how truly beneficial he was for Yao.

(i personally don't think he did that much either, but I can't be sure.)

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think he helped Yao Ming at all. Yao Ming has never been shy about crediting guys who helped him out (even when he and Hakeem had that one time photo op session he still talked about how Hakeem told him the right mentality to have and stuff), and I've never heard him talk about Ewing once lol

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just because Ewing was great in NY, doesn't mean you have to give him a coaching job.

9. engr chris

engr chris Member

Is there any NBA center that became a head coach for an NBA team?

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Bill Russell.

11. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

What Ron Jeremy doesn't realise is that new york doesn't have a big man with potential. Ewing will help nuture the best talent out there and at the moment, none exists in New York.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe he just sucks as a coach? Why would they give him a coaching job just because?

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bill Cartwright too. Maybe Ewing should change his first name to Bill.

14. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

SVG is talking about Ewing becoming an assistant. NYK wont even give him that.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Ewing must bring something to the table as an assistant coach for SVG that he never displayed as a player or during games when he was an assistant to JVG.

Anyone who went to Rocket games could see that Ewing watched the Power Dancers and the Jumbotron more than he did the game. He certainly didn't do any coaching. As a player, he was a choker with an average basketball IQ and a pedestrian work ethic. You sure as hell don't hear his former coaches and team mates speaking about him the way Dream's do.

On a personal note, I can confirm that he is a condescending prick to fans. I know that doesn't have a direct effect on his coaching ability but it isn't exactly a positive quality.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm sure D'antoni appreciates SVG trying to tell him who to have on his staff. What a weird thing for a coach to say. Maybe he's just trying to get rid of Ewing? I wonder if SVG would appreciate being called out in the media by another coach regarding the makeup of his own staff? Hey SVG, Dennis Scott needs a job, why isn't he on your staff!? (I have no idea what Scott is up to now, just an example)

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So what? D'Antoni has every right to choose his own assistants. He and Ewing may not mesh together. The notion the Knicks owe Ewing any sort of coaching position is silly. Dolan isn't the best owner but it's his team to do as he pleases.

SVG needs to shut up and worry about his own franchise/team. They say great things about him, but when it's time to put up or shut up, they don't do anything. This is a classless remark.

Ewing needs to move and forget about the Knicks. If he gets "opportunities" elsewhere, he should take them and be quiet.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

SVG is just trying to get rid of him. We do it all the time at my company. Since its next to impossible to fire anyone, we give guys good reviews so other departments will take sucky employees off our hands.