1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN - Sportsguy Trade Value mention

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wink2cat, Feb 12, 2009.

1. wink2cat

wink2cat Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090212

Mentions that Morey should try to pry Martin from SacTown. Kinda funny noway in hell would sac do this i dont think, but they would rid themselves of KT.

Group H: "You'll Have To Bowl Us Over, But We're Listening"

30. Kevin Martin
    Seems a little high until you remember he's averaging 27 a game with 46 percent shooting on 3s since New Year's. Wouldn't you try to pry him from the Maloofs right now? If I'm Houston's Daryl Morey during the All-Star break, I'm buying Patron shots for the Maloofs until 3 a.m. on Saturday night, then offering them T-Mac and a 2009 No. 1 for Martin and Kenny Thomas' deal that expires in 2010. Then again, Daryl went to MIT -- he probably couldn't do three shots without passing out or giving away Luis Scola straight up for Channing Frye. Bad plan.

Speaking of Kenny, did anyone see the irony of the Kings' retiring C-Webb's number last weekend even though his lavish extension genuinely murdered their franchise for the last six years of this decade? Continuing the girlfriend analogies, the poor Kings were like a buddy who had the greatest, most life-altering girlfriend for five years ... right until she gained 30 pounds, gave him VD (in this case, Kenny's unwieldy contract) and left him relatively destitute until 2010. But seriously, thanks for the memories, C-Webb! This is your night!

Also,

Group B: "Lemme Save You Some Time: N-O."

7. Yao Ming
    Moving well enough that I'm temporarily retiring the "Yao Muresan" jokes. Houston would never deal him unless it was for one of the next six guys. Quick question though: Yao is one of the 10 most famous athletes in the world, right? So what would the top 10 look like? I had a great argument about this with someone recently and we honestly couldn't figure it out -- definitely Yao and Tiger, definitely Beckham and Federer, definitely Phelps, maybe Thierry Henry, maybe a Formula One guy (I won't even embarrass myself by guessing), maybe Kobe ... and then ... I mean ... does LeBron make the list? Brady or (Peyton) Manning? Nadal? More soccer players? Any female tennis players? How do we figure this out? I have mentioned this question to a few different people and drawn a sweeping range of answers. Maybe there's no answer. My head hurts.

And tis nugget on best deals (we have 3 of the contracts)

BEST DEALS

The 16 most cap-appealing NBA contracts that aren't rookie deals:

16. Carl Landry, three years, $9m
    15. Jameer Nelson, five years, $33.6m
    14. John Salmons, three years, $16.3m
    13. Travis Outlaw, two years, $8m
    12. Kendrick Perkins, three years, $12.8m
    11. Udonis Haslem, two years, $13.7m
    10. Marcus Camby, two years, $15.6-$20m
    9. Roger Mason, two years, $7.3m
    8. Ron Artest: one year, $8.45m
    7. Mehmet Okur, one year, $8.5m
    6. Luis Scola, two years, $6.5m
    5. Caron Butler, three years, $30.3m
    4. Devin Harris, four years, $36m
    3. Manu Ginobili, two years, $20.6m
    2. David West, three years, $27.2m
    1. Hedo Turkoglu, one year, $6.84m

#1 wink2cat, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

1.) This is a satirical article

2.) You can't trade consecutive 1st round picks.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It's a popular misconception that you can't trade consecutive first round picks. The rule actually says that you can't trade consecutive future first round picks. Actually, you could trade your first round pick every season if you liked, you'd just have to wait until after the prior year's draft to do it.

I realize that you were talking about trading both the 2009 and 2010 picks which are indeed future picks, but I just wanted to clarify this rule since it's so often misunderstood.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q71

In addition, teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is called the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a future first-round draft pick in consecutive years.

This rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then teams can trade their 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had a 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

In addition, teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their first round pick. So teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years.

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

We don't have our 2009 first round pick anyways, it would have to be a 2011 pick going to Sac-town if this trade were even possible...

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah I guess I didn't have a crystal clear understanding of the rule. I thought that next year's 1st rounder would still be considered a future pick.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

FWIW, the pick sent to the Kings for Artest was Lottery protected in 2009. So, (very) technically the Rox still have a 1st rounder.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Technically, our "No. 1 pick" would be whatever our first pick is in the draft (#52 or whatever). :)

8. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

Seems like I read or heard somewhere that if we don't make the playoffs, then we keep the pick. At present course, we may have a 2009 pick unless I miss heard/read??

9. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

If you have already traded a conditional pick for a particular year, you can't say nevermind, we take that one back and give you another year "conditionally"

For all trade intents and purposes, the Rockets don't have their 2009 1st round draft pick.

10. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Dude forgot to add the Caron Butler deal to the Rockets it talks about.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I mentioned this along with my commentary in the Random Trade Thread:

BARF!!!

From Bill Simmons' annual Trade Value column. Take a look at what he suggests:

The "BARF" isn't so much about Butler as it is how this proposal would badly off-balance this team. After years of bad luck, overpaying average players and squandering draft picks we finally have the four covered. That's placing aside the simple fact that Scola has been our most consistent player, and quite frankly, deserves better from us. And as shaky as we are right now, part of me is terrified of this team without Scola or Battier's selfless contributions.

Butler is a good player, no doubt. I just don't think he's worth giving up Scola right now. If you want to talk Artest-for-Butler or some sort of lateral wing swap, i'd listen. We can't afford to lose Scola and furthermore i'm not interested in playing 'mad scientist' while we experiment to see if Butler can co-exist with Artest, T-Mac and all the drama already ongoing. Plus, he's injury prone. That's a terrible idea from our end, IMO.

12. Landlord Landry

I'll take a Travis Outlaw......and a.....uh....a side of Caron Butler, and hmmmmmm, gimmie a Devin Harris to go please.

13. Landlord Landry

14. joesr

joesr Member

LOL, had me rolling

15. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I am from Sacramento and let me tell you...

Kevin Martin scores in a losing effort.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I would love to have Caron Butler on this team. He isn't as injury prone as Tracy and is much younger with an awesome contract compared to his productivity.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Caron Butler isnt much younger, turns 29 in a month same age as McGrady.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Why would Payton Manning be famous around the world??lol ....give me a break. Only in the football world.

19. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

So did Ray Allen until he got traded to Boston. I would love to have Kevin Martin on the Rockets!

20. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Member

McGrady isnt 29 hes 40!

I also like Caron Butler.

What do you guys think about Al Harrington? I think he would be a nice addition if we trade Ron or McGrady.

Rafer
    Ron
    Al
    Luis
    Yao

or

Rafer
    Tracy
    Al
    Luis
    Yao